Nissan Frontier Forum banner

whats in your tool box-offroad essentials

70K views 81 replies 52 participants last post by  RidgeRebel 
#1 · (Edited)
I have looked around, used the search and like me I know there are several newbies out there with this question.

"what do I bring out to the trip?" im sure every trip is unique and requires its own list but to simplify it I wanted to create a Sticky for all to see and use.

So have at it guys. List what you carry, why, when how, for what etc.

CB, i used a simple and cheap Cobra 19DXIV

Cb antenna Firestik FS-3BK 3 Firestick Ii Tunable Tip
Amazon.com: Firestik FS-3BK 3 Firestick Ii Tunable Tip Black: Electronics

FireStik MK-204R Adjustable "SS" Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-Kit
Amazon.com: FireStik MK-204R Adjustable "SS" Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-Kit: Electronics

Shovel Bond LH015 Mini D Handle Shovel

hi lift 48" X-Treme Jack by Hi-Lift®
Hi-Lift Jack Part XT-485 - 48" X-Treme Jack by Hi-Lift®

Full Spare Tire

Basic Tools Allied 59091 235-Piece Mechanics Tool Set

TireGauge Campbell Hausfeld 50Psi Pencil Gauge

Air Compressor Rockworth RW2G110DPNG 2-Gallon Portable Electric Air
Amazon.com: Rockworth RW2G110DPNG 2-Gallon Factory Reconditioned Portable Electric Air Compressor: Home Improvement

Jerry cans 5 Gallon Metal Enviro-Flo Plus Can by Blitz
OFF ROAD GEAR :: 5 Gallon Metal Enviro-Flo Plus Can by Blitz - 81733 -

Tow Straps Neiko 51004A Heavy-Duty 20-Feet Tow - Cargo Strap with 20,000-Pound Capacity

TP, you just never know
Trash bag, BINTIA Bring It In, Take It Out

SPARES, ill leave it up to the more advance guys on what typically breaks on the trail.

See less See more
#3 ·
recovery strap

Good list, you should add one of these:

#4 ·
Guide book and or GPS, here in SOCAL
Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails - FunTreks Guidebooks for Jeep Trails, 4 Wheel Drive Trails, and back country roads

Fire Extinguisher Rugged Ridge Roll Bar Fire Extinguisher
Jeep Rollbar Accessories & Parts - Rugged Ridge Roll Bar Fire Extinguisher Holder (Black) Fits: 76-10 CJ/Wrangler

First Aid Kit Anatomy of a First Aid Kit

Jumper Cables
Amazon.com: IIT 16700 Jumper Cable - 12 Feet, 8 Gauge: Automotive

Motor Oil
Extra motor oil can be helpful on the trail.

DUCT TAPE- you never know and it does magic

Essential Fluids
(Oil, coolant & transmission fluid)

Fix A Flat Great to use in a pinch…Slime 70005 Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System
Amazon.com: Slime 70005 Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System: Automotive

Basic Personal Needs- Food, Water, snacks, non perishable etc

TOOLS
Complete Socket Set with SAE (standard) and Metric with 3/8" and 1/2" drives. Deep and standard sockets.
Crescent, open end combination box wrenches SAE (standard) and Metric
Allen Wrenches
Torx sockets (especially if you own a Jeep)
Standard & Phillips screwdrivers, large, medium, small
Large Hammer (a.k.a. the "BFH")
Pliers (various sizes)
Needle Nose Pliers
Vice Grips, various sizes
Large channel-lock Pliers
Pipe wrenches - having 2 medium of these can be useful for tie-rods.
Utility knife or razor blades
Crescent wrenches (medium & large)
A BIG pry bar or length of strong metal pipe, inside diameter of pipe large enough to slip over a wrench or socket drive for extra leverage.
Magnet

Work Gloves, leather
Dewalt DPG20L All Purpose Synthetic Leather Palm Spandex Back Velcro Wrist Work Glove, Large: Amazon.com: Automotive

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Hi-lift jack, shovel, tow straps, carton of bottled water, food, tool box (with enough tools to take apart the whole suspension and put it back together), tire plug kit, spare tire, duct tape, self protection, ammo for said self protection, and cooler with ice.

Everything besides the tool box with sockets and wrenches, and the cooler, fits inside the mounted bed tool box. Love the setup.. even with the KC it feels like plenty of space.

#8 ·
#11 ·
u joints are always a good idea`

#13 ·
man that is a lot of weight! The tool kit would probably be very trip specific with some basic tools- I believe this is the crux of the sticky suggestion request.
Pliers, standard screw driver, Philips screw driver, wire, duct tape, blade, etc..
a route plan and estimate return trip advise to a third party in case you are rolled over in a ditch and it is after dark - they can call the cavalry.

#15 ·
Great thread. My question is directly related.
I couldn't find it in a search, maybe someone could direct me to an existing thread. Or, we could include in this list: Essential Spare Parts.
What are the most common trail fixes on the (2nd gen) Frontier?
Not specific to hardcore crawling, but more general trail riding and backcountry/overland type offroading.

Thanks, ~Ben

#17 ·
SPARES, ill leave it up to the more advance guys on what typically breaks on the trail.
nice addition, anyone else with small parts to add to the list:confused:
include in this list: Essential Spare Parts.
What are the most common trail fixes on the (2nd gen) Frontier?
Seriously, let's keep this going. We've heard spare tire and repair kit, u-joint, tie rod, ball joint. Of course air/oil/fuel filter, rad. hoses, oil/fluids, fuses & bulbs, nuts & bolts, maintenance manual. What else for a week or two+ in the backcountry (or just peace of mind)? Let's hear from those that know what's up! Thanks, homies!

Peace, ~B

#19 ·
Fluids. Engine, trans and diff fluids. If you can opener a pan your screwed with out fluids. Also a gallon of pre mixed antifreeze incase you put a stick through your radiator. Brake fluid incase you brake a line (done it). Extra brake lines. Vice grips. In first gen trucks one is well advised to carry at least one extra Torsion bar. When the break you are sitting low rider, and the tools to change one. Weak link steering components. Again for first gens extra hubs, I've seen a few of those go flying. Extra valve stems and cores and a means to change them. A good hammer, I like a 28oz ball pein, very useful if you know how to use it.

#20 ·
With regards to fluids, I saw someone on another forum post a rather elaborate list of off road gear and tools that he always carries. But then he stated he carries only 1 qt of each fluid.

Having knocked my oil pan loose on the trail before, I carry a 5 qt jug of motor oil, 2 qts of gear oil, etc. I'd like to have enough to be able to drive the truck out if something like that were to happen again.

I may have overlooked it, but I didn't see RTV on the list. I always carry that now too.

My kit is far from complete, and I keep seeing great ideas pop up in this thread.

#21 ·
I'm surprised nobody has included a medical kit.

Also, baby wipes!! With Aloe!!

#22 ·
I have a pretty extensive medical kit (also im a rescue first responder) fire extinguisher mini compressor by slime it has never failed me. Military shovel flares water mre duct tape wire ties assorted wrenches and sockets hatchet hammer knives etc. Basically i can repair or survive a while

#23 ·
whenever possible, bring a certified ASE mechanic, his toolbox, and all shop tools required to overhaul anyting on the car... holy crap

the items im seeing listed cant possibly be for every wheeling weekend trip. the bed on even a kc would be filled to the brim with stuff to cover every eventuality, let alone the camping stuff required to make a full weekend out camping with.

the most i would take, would be a drive belt, some fluids, a hammer, and a variety of crescent wrenches and box wrenches. perhaps a screw driver. duct tape and rope, along with your safety recovery stuff. (hi lift, straps, shovel, etc) anything after that is going to be a much larger repair than you would probably be comfortable or safe doing on a trail.

i realize theres a lot of situational possibilities to account for as well. stick in radiator, hub flying off, broken oil pans...but these, i imagine, are few and far between and not something that would be cost effective to be prepared for at any one given time.

something ive not seen yet either, that i believe is a good one to have with multiple uses as well (Coming from an arctic climate) a good blanket will have many uses should you become stuck overnight, or stranded someplace without shelter.

edit: without shelter being the eventuality that you rolled hte truck and the cab is smashed. otherwise, wrap yourself up and sleep in the cab, however uncomfortable it may be.

#24 ·
For the areas around here:
2 snatch straps
1 tree saver
Shackles
Leather gloves
Tire repair kit
Tools: wrenches, pliers, hammer, and basic metric socket set
First Aid Kit
Ratchet straps
Machete
Gerber folding saw
CB radio (not a tool, but better than no cell phone service)
Buddy with another vehicle (never go out exploring alone)
Extra parts are always a good idea, but one I have never taken with me (extra tie rod ends are good to have on an IFS vehicle in particular, cause straightening them out on the trail is not fun)

#27 ·
There is quite a bit of room under the Crew cab rear seats. And, yes, I have quite a bit of the stuff listed in the truck all the time, including chains from October to May.

The jumper cables are by far the #1 used piece of equipment and I'm amazed how few people carry them.

The weather can turn fast in the mountains.

I carry:
Flashlights/spare batteries
Toolkit
Knife
Climbing rope 11mm
Recovery Strap
2 Ton come along
Ax
Shovel
Air compressor
First aid kit
Yax Trax (traction aid for shoes)
Jump start battery
Jumper cables
Blankets
Compass/ Map
Camelbacks with water.
Snow chains most of the year.
Tire plugs

#28 ·
good call on the HD come-along. i have one in my kit. works great as an extraction device in a pinch.

i have;
20k lb/20' strap
HD come-along
hitch receiver d-ring attachment
first aid kit
staun deflators
tire patch/plug kit
properly inflated spare tire
small portable air compressor
valve stem core remover
basic tools ..multi screw driver, pry bar, hammer, rtv, lots of zip ties, duct tape, crescent wrench, etc..
flashlight with GOOD BATTERIES
road flares
fire extinguisher
WATER!!!
SNACK FOOD OR POWER BARS!!!
blanket
matches or lighter
smart phone with GPS and dialing features to call for help : )
ratchet straps
small bit of rope and bailing wire
and some other bits and pieces

all fits under seat tray, glove box and small duffle i throw in the back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.