LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's so bad about the stock tires?

So I went through the "getting stuck" thread today, all 90something pages of it. Saw a LOT of pro-4x's and the precursor nismo's in there stuck, and just about everytime, people were bringing up that they would have done much better had they not had the crappy stock tires on their truck. Most couldn't wait to get rid of the stock tires that come with the vehicle.

I'm not talking about any of the other versions as I have a Pro-4x and I specifically took note of all the other Pro-4xs and Nismo's who said the stock tires were crap.

Most of the reviews I've seen online are quite darn good for the stock Hankook Dynapro ATMs. Not that I've taken my truck offroad yet in any real way as I've only had it 5 weeks, but these tires to a layman's eyes look rather aggressive and definitely are not efficient daily driver road tires. Yes I realize they are only 31.7' tires and absolutely not MT's, but why so much hate for these over the years by people on these forums when they get great reviews from just about everywhere else I look??? Other than the lowered gas mileage on them, I have had no issues whatsoever so far at least from a road/all weather perspective.

If I'm totally wrong I don't mind being edumacated on this, this is my first real 4x4

SASHA: 2016 PRO-4x Standard. JBA headers, JBA SS exhaust. Tekonsha P3, Shrock diff cover + Lubelocker gasket, Shrock skids. WK sliders, 2" lift up front, 1.5" in back. Cam bolts installed, Sway bar removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Garage

Specific tires for specific jobs. In a dream world we could simply swap all four tires with a snap of the fingers. I'm running hankook dynapro mt's.

https://youtu.be/SaZQpS05QMs

HRD•BDY

Last edited by TAGS; 05-03-2016 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Thanked 10,447 Times in 5,210 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The Dynapros are a pretty good tire. The Pro-4x used to come with BFG Rugged Trails, which are not such a great tire.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Rubicon tested 2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeniorNV For This Useful Post:
goody (05-25-2016), Nissan4Life (05-04-2016), ToddG (05-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniorNV View Post
The Dynapros are a pretty good tire. The Pro-4x used to come with BFG Rugged Trails, which are not such a great tire.
Ok that's the first I've heard of that. I know in looking for my truck, as far back as late 2014 I was seeing the Hankook Dynapro's on all new Pro-4x and Desert Runners at every dealership. I'll assume going back before then they used a lesser acceptable tire?

I had just assumed that the Hankooks have always been the stock tire as they've been around a good long while, and couldn't rectify the folks here bashing them almost universally vs other forums and review websites giving them good reviews for all general offroadyness. Wasn't aware Nissan made a change at some point.

SASHA: 2016 PRO-4x Standard. JBA headers, JBA SS exhaust. Tekonsha P3, Shrock diff cover + Lubelocker gasket, Shrock skids. WK sliders, 2" lift up front, 1.5" in back. Cam bolts installed, Sway bar removed.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Premium Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniorNV View Post
Ding ding ding, we have a winner chicken dinner.

2006 Nismo KC, 6spd, bought new Dec.2005, 143k 99.7% trouble free miles, never left me stranded Denso Iridium Power plugs, Gibson 612211 SS catback, modded with a Magnaflow muffler, XTP IMS, FIPK series 77 K&N intake, CSF radiator, Romik bull/side bars, Bilstein 5100's rear +Firestone riderite air bags, PRG aluminum diff cover, PRG rearend vent mod, Rancho Quiklift front shock/spring combo, MOOG front hubs, StopTech drilled/slotted brake rotors, Spyder CCFL halo headlight assy with Innovited 55W HID xenon H1 conversion kit, OLM HP Gen2 passive cooling LED fog lights, Weathertech window visors, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2's P265/75/16 114T.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

I think it was around 2014 that Nissan made the change.

I ran Dynapros on my truck for a few years and was pretty pleased with them for light to medium off roading. They did well in everything except thick mud and deep snow (but all terrains as a rule don't do well in either) and had good street manners to boot.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
So obviously it stands to reason that one buys a separate set of wheels/MTs to put on the vehicle when going for offroading excursions, unless your truck is to be strictly your offroading toy. Alas for me it's also become my DD so....

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
So obviously it stands to reason that one buys a separate set of wheels/MTs to put on the vehicle when going for offroading excursions, unless your truck is to be strictly your offroading toy. Alas for me it's also become my DD so....

I think most people compromise with a good set of all terrains or lighter duty mud terrains and call it a day.

-Jennifer

Suspension Lift Info 05+

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Premium Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Yes but, If you bought a Nismo/Pro4X you feel like Superman and your truck can go through anything. And very soon offroading with those BFG Rugged Trails you realize you're not Superman and you're stuck.

2006 Nismo KC, 6spd, bought new Dec.2005, 143k 99.7% trouble free miles, never left me stranded Denso Iridium Power plugs, Gibson 612211 SS catback, modded with a Magnaflow muffler, XTP IMS, FIPK series 77 K&N intake, CSF radiator, Romik bull/side bars, Bilstein 5100's rear +Firestone riderite air bags, PRG aluminum diff cover, PRG rearend vent mod, Rancho Quiklift front shock/spring combo, MOOG front hubs, StopTech drilled/slotted brake rotors, Spyder CCFL halo headlight assy with Innovited 55W HID xenon H1 conversion kit, OLM HP Gen2 passive cooling LED fog lights, Weathertech window visors, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo2's P265/75/16 114T.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Devil View Post
Yes but, If you bought a Nismo/Pro4X you feel like Superman and your truck can go through anything. And very soon offroading with those BFG Rugged Trails you realize you're not Superman and you're stuck.
Quite the contrary here. I'm quite happy looking at it all clean and nice. Wash it every couple days, wax it just about as often. Constantly vacuuming the inside out of it despite two enthusiastic furkid passengers.

My first 'new' nissan truck, 2nd nissan ever, was bottomed out on the beach sand where I grew up as a teenager just a month or two after getting that... I learned my lesson on treating new vehicles well. It'll get dirty and accumulate scratches over time. Plenty of time down the road to modify it and make it suitable for having some offroad fun. Right now I'm enjoying burning through 200$ a week of expensive car care supplies to keep it showroom shiny while it still can. Not exactly what the 4x4 offroad fanatics would want to hear I'm sure. Still stunned how many pictures I saw of folks taking their 1-2 day old brand new trucks out and getting them properly dirty or stuck. That was ok when I was a teenager with a 14k truck. If I pulled that today with nearly 40k$ worth of new truck... I'd most likely be sleeping in that truck for a few weeks...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grommit For This Useful Post:
Blue Devil (05-04-2016), greywalker83 (03-30-2017)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > OffRoad / 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.