Nissan Frontier Forum banner

*Pics* Slickrock Trail (CA) and Corral Hollow 8/23 & 8/24

7K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  PhoenyxRysyng 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a great time wheeling in the Stanislaus National Forest with some other CF members this weekend.

On Saturday, Sixspeed-SV, TruckIt and I ran Slickrock Trail (or part of it, anyway). The northern end, where we entered the trail, has a "moderate" rating.

Past Silver Creek, about 1.5 miles into the trail, is where the rating of the trail changes to "difficult."

About half a mile into the difficult part of the trail, we discovered an obstacle that was going to be a problem. It was a huge rock embedded on a narrow downhill section of trail. Driving around the rock would not have been possible, and the drop off was significant enough that the rear end of a mildly lifted Frontier would not be able to clear it. I wasn't worried about my aftermarket bumper and the Xterra would have been fine, but Sixspeed would have not have been able to drive over this obstacle without smacking his stock bumper on the rock. Since carnage seemed inevitable and we knew an even more difficult section lay ahead, we decided to turn around.

Running the trail in the opposite direction ended up being a lot harder! Here are a few pictures of our journey back up.

We stopped at Silver Creek for lunch.

The mighty lizard hunter.

Since we had to cut the day a little short, we decided to run Corral Hollow from the east end. This trail is narrow, rocky and a little steep in spots. There is a nice view at the top.

We stopped at Bear Trap cabin.

And finally continued west, where the trail gets wider and easier.

See less See more
#2 ·
The attendees for Sunday's trail run were TruckIt, crewmaxxis, jbumx2 and of course me. I didn't get nearly as many pics on Sunday. We did a mixed bag of trails, most of which ended up being pretty fun.

A couple pics on what I think is the Mattley Ridge loop...?

At one point we stopped for some scenery pics. I think jbum was confusing "rock crawling" and "rock climbing." ;)

A pic of my truck at a vista point on Corral Hollow...just because.

And coming down Corral Hollow.

I had a great time this weekend. Good trails and good people! But I am definitely going to have to go back at some point to finish Slickrock. :)

#3 ·
But I am definitely going to have to go back at some point to finish Slickrock. :)
Hmmm..., sounds vaguely familiar ::grin::
When we going? Waiting on some snow?
Looks like it was a fun little run. Does Six's bumper look like mine now?

#12 ·
I am convinced that I'll be running slickrock next month or so,

Not waiting for next year!

Will start a thread of a tentative date, for sure a Saturday!

Jr
If the timing is right maybe I can schedule an impromptu visit to the parents : ) I would love to get in on that action

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks Jen for the awesome job being trail leader. I had a lot of fun trying to follow your lines. So glad I came Sunday and got to drive some trails with a great group of folks.

I only took a few pictures since I was having too much fun bouncing the frontier around...

Crewmaxxis, JeniorNV, and Truckit with Mokelumne Peak in the background

Bear Trap Basin

JeniorNV making herself at home at Bear Trap Cabin

Panorama on a ridge overlooking Bear Valley Ski area

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks Jen for the awesome job being trail leader. I had a lot of fun trying to follow your lines. So glad I came Sunday and got to drive some trails with a great group of folks.

I only took a few pictures since I was having too much fun bouncing the frontier around...
Thanks for coming out. The pics in your first post aren't coming up for me.

have some pics but technical difficulties prevent the upload.. :censor:
Let us know if we can assist in any way. I'd really like to see your pics.

I am convinced that I'll be running slickrock next month or so,

Not waiting for next year!

Will start a thread of a tentative date, for sure a Saturday!

Jr
I doubt I could make it in September. But starting a separate thread to discuss dates sounds like a great idea.

#11 ·
Had a great time with everyone. Glad to finally have some pics where I do not feel I was just driving on a dirt road. Harley the Lizard hunter is about as dead as Sue and I are today. Didn't get home until about 10 last night after getting the dust off and picking up some dinner. You young folk were likely fine today but we feel like we need some spinal decompression.

Sue is having to work tonight so it will be at least tomorrow before she gets her pics up.

It was one of the best trips we have been on and really hope I behaved myself enough to be allowed on the Reno run next month. That one we will drive up on Friday and wait until Monday to drive back in the hopes we do not have to go to work feeling like we did this morning. :D

#18 ·
How ya liking that thing Jenn? I'm not a huge fan of their mapping capabilities but the thought of having a way to call in the search party if it all goes to hell is pretty appealing. Especially with how often I go solo with all my girls in the rig.

#21 ·
As much as I appreciate the video (and I do sincerely appreciate it), I hope that somebody got some action photos of my truck on Slickrock and that they get posted soon. Not only am I up for TOTM on here this month, I also got nominated for ROTM on my local Jeep-dominated forum for the second month in a row. Somehow I managed to get second place out of eight rigs last month. But I'm still sorely lacking awesome action pics of my truck with the new front bumper and it would be nice to have some. *nudge nudge hint hint* ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.