Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Hollister Hills Nor Cal Camping Trip July 2014

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  BCBrian 
#1 · (Edited)
This years camping trip attracted a smaller crowd than years past and this may have been due to the heat we experienced. Friday the campground got to about 100'!

We still had an EXCELLENT time and even found a new trail that is not on the map.

Here are the best of my pictures. Stay tuned for video's and pictures from the other participants.

This is an unmarked trail off of Bonanza Gulch that cuts up to McCray Rd. As usual, the pictures do not show how steep this is.

This is the tough corner with a tree on each side of the trail just waiting for some paint!

More shots from friday when wolfman and I went out to check the trail conditions.

Now on to saturday... here is Jen at the top of the 'new' trail we found.

This tunnel is on the new McCray Rd extreme obstacle course

More in the next post

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is a shot at Hector Heights, the top of Hollister Hills. Danilo is the first person to climb on top of their rig at one of our meets!

Next we headed down to the main obstacle course to play a little bit. These telephone poles are a fun challenge.

In the afternoon and TruckIt and his wife Sue joined us. Stay tuned for a video of her on this obstacle.

The Saturday afternoon group at the upper campground near the main Obstacle Course.

Next we decided to head back to that 'new' trail Jen and I found earlier in the day. This time I got some shots of the tough 'S' turn about half way up. This section is VERY steep with tree's in close proximity to the trail. The X's had a big advantage with their short wheelbase here!

I managed to get shots of Jen at both ends of the 'S' turn as she squeezed her Frontier through without hitting either tree.

On this 2nd run up this trail I told Jen over the radio "The right line up that rut looks doable" her response was "What's the worst thing that could happen!" and gave it a try...

An unseen hole and some very soft dirt derailed her attempt but she definitely get's an A+ for effort! With some spotting from wolfman she was able to back up enough to cross over to the easier left line that the rest of us ran.

The next test was the Fence Slide trail and it was very slippery!

Jen hates this trail but she handled it expertly!

Check out this AWESOME flex shot!

Next we headed to the Quarry to test the traction on this rocky climb.

I managed to get stuck on a different little climb in this area... giving SixSpeedSV the opportunity to try out his new winch. Pictures are coming from Jen.
See next post for more...

#4 ·
An unseen hole and some very soft dirt derailed her attempt but she definitely get's an A+ for effort! With some spotting from wolfman she was able to back up enough to cross over to the easier left line that the rest of us ran.
It's hard to tell in the picture that that is a very steep hill. It would have been a flexy and fun trail if the ground hadn't been so soft, but my tires just kept trying to dig into that sandy soil.

#3 ·
crewmaxxis joined us on sunday morning and when we showed him the tree that was in the Rock Trench trail he hooked it up and drug it about 200 feet to clear the trail! INCREDIBLE JR! Jen got video of this amazing feat of Nissan POWER!

That is it for my pictures but Jen and wolfman will be adding more soon so stay tuned!

We have decided that next year this camping trip will take place in April to avoid the searing heat we dealt with all w/e. Keep an eye out for the thread on the West page and come out and join us!

#8 · (Edited)
Make sure to enlarge this video to full screen. Thanks for posting this Jen!

Great job Junior... that was an impressive pull by the BEAST!

#11 ·
Thanks for the pictures Sue.... can't wait to see your video's!

Glad you got that shot of Ms SixSpeedSV in that rut, I was too busy trying to get her out of that predicament to take any pictures!

It was great to meet you folks.

#12 ·
Great trip. Thanks you guys for having us there. We had a great time. Looking forward to the next meet. Hopefully better armored by then haha.

#15 ·
OK, I noticed that the results of the pinball game with the winching post did not make it over here. Still trying to figure out how the fender went from behind the light to in front without breaking it and I wonder how long the powder coat stripe will stay on the post.

#23 ·
Thanks Wolfman.... took ya' long enough!!

Great trip everyone. Can't wait till next year!

#24 ·
Why does this have to be yearly instead of quarterly or bi-annually at the least? We might not get Jen each time, which with her distance would be understandable, but we had a great time. Good enough that I might talk Sue into getting up early enough to see some of the morning trails. But I an not letting her drink quite that much next time. Getting her to the restroom and into the truck was bad, but when I had to get her up to the bedroom on the second floor, that was not fun at all. Even worse when I hit the Jager as I felt left out when I had to drive so I could not get hammered like the rest of you. We did not see Sunday until almost 3 PM and we both were not enjoying life. :)

#25 ·
Clarification

Well.... I was right there with you TruckIt as I don't drink. The entertainment after you left was quite hilarious!

I am down for a day trip to Hollister just about anytime, so just PM me if you are ready for some dirt time!

#26 ·
I forget if your day trips are restricted to weekends or not. Might think about playing hooky during the week some time to avoid crowds. Was going to say traffic, but from Livermore to 101 will suck during the week.

#27 ·
I can usually make it during the week.... unless I have tickets for a concert!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.