Gear Ratios? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gear Ratios?

can someone explain gear ratios for me? i have been looking around the Forum and i cant find anyone that has talked about it.

See you in 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the higher the ratio the better accelration the lower the better fuel economy

2006 Nissan Frontier SE KC 4x4 6speed Manual...Black exterior Black Inteior...Black wheels, Volant CAI, Gibson Cat-Back, , wrp crank pulley, wrp grounding kit, traction leaf springs..Led Tailights, hid black halo headlights
#3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Inyourface1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by qborotali
the higher the ratio the better accelration the lower the better fuel economy
Numerically anyway. Though technically a 3.69 is lower than a 3.13

SirLurksAlot
#4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyourface1650
Numerically anyway. Though technically a 3.69 is lower than a 3.13
Correct. Lots of fun trying to drive around town with 5.36 gears and a small block.

2005 Frontier NISMO CC - SUPERCHIPS tuned, Banks Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series, Alpine 505 DVD HU, SIRIUS sat radio, Fosgate P3s 10" Subs in super crew box, Alpine 450M amp, JL 4300 amp, Alpine X series REF components & Alpine R series6 1/2 speakers, black pearl emblems, black billet shorty ant., AutoPage alarm, Billet Grille, AEM Brute Force CAI, Pathfinder switch covers, Titan Bilsteins, Shrock tank skid, Penski custom sliders, Cobra Roadtrip CB, Sylvania Silverstar wannabe HIDs & train horn.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcote
can someone explain gear ratios for me? i have been looking around the Forum and i cant find anyone that has talked about it.
The gear ratio is the "number of teeth in the ring"/"number of teeth in the pinion". External to the differential, it's the number of driveshaft rotations to the number of wheel rotations; so you can get a rough estimate of your gear ratio by lifting the rear end of the truck, rotating a tire one full revolution and counting the number of times the driveshaft turns. That's why when you change tire diameter, you effectively change the gear ratio (e.g., when you put larger tires on, you need to turn the driveshaft more to get a single rotation of the tire which makes if feel like you have less power).

At least I think I've got all that right. Basically, it's what those guys said.

Jerry
2004 Frontier, King Cab, XE, 4-cyl, 5-spd, 4x1
#6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Shift_Obsessed

I would suggest searching Wikipedia. It's better for stuff like this than Club Frontier....sorry guys...

2006 SE KC 4x4 auto -- Shrock BFG AT OEM fogs
2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE -- Traded in July 2012
2012 Nissan Titan PRO4-X -- Nordic White, Leather, Sunroof
#7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Shift_Fanatic

my friend just put 4.10 gears in his 07 gt mustang i tihnk from a stock 3.4 somthing i dunno sometihn liek that

2006 Nissan Frontier SE KC 4x4 6speed Manual...Black exterior Black Inteior...Black wheels, Volant CAI, Gibson Cat-Back, , wrp crank pulley, wrp grounding kit, traction leaf springs..Led Tailights, hid black halo headlights
#8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ok thanks alot. so i would want a higher gear ratio for offroading? what would be a good Ratio? its not for my Frontier, im learing up because im about to buy a Sami and i want to learn about this stuff

See you in 2010
#9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Inyourface1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcote
ok thanks alot. so i would want a higher gear ratio for offroading? what would be a good Ratio? its not for my Frontier, im learing up because im about to buy a Sami and i want to learn about this stuff
hehe, ok. So numerically higher, the lower the gear ratio. jerry kinda explained it backwards from how I think of it. If you have 4.11 gears, you will turn the driveshaft 4.11 times before you turn the tire. So if you are in 5th gear (2nd Gen 6 speed) which is 1:1 you get 4.11 turns of the engine for one turn of the Tires.

Now obviously the more turns of the engine to the turn of the Wheels means more torque (this is how your transmission works). Offroad (like the sammy) it also effects your crawl speed. My truck, which is a manual, has the lowest rear gear of frontiers 3.69, so I can crawl around very slowly with the clutch fully engaged.

In a sammy, especially with the stock 55HP, its very important to gear em right, otherwise you will not be able to go anywhere for lack of power.

Tires affect gearing in the following ways: lets imagine we are in our scenario above. You in 5th gear, which is 1:1, and you have 4.11's. So 4.11 turns of the engine for every turn of the tire. So when you mess with tire size, you are effectively messing with your final drive ratio. Now, with 31inch tires you travel 31*pi or 91 inches. With a 33 inch tire you travel 103inches for every turn. So see how bigger tires mess with your speedometer? Your spedo thinks your going a foot less every tire rotation then you actually are. You have also effectively made your gearing taller, since every turn of the tire takes you farther. (so your truck will have less power) If you make your rear gears Shorter (or numerically higher, but actually lower) to say, like a 4.33.....You once again be going about the RPM at about the speed you were, effectively correcting for the bigger tires. This is why you see people talking about gearing for 35" tires and such. You lose so much power (beacuse you go so much farther for each rotation of the wheel) its necessary to re-gear the drivetrain to get it back.

SirLurksAlot

Last edited by Inyourface1650; 11-09-2007 at 12:21 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Shift_Obsessed

nice edit, between reading from the start and hitting quote you fixed what I was gonna....

4.10 gears would be nice for wheeling but would kill mileage on road since the engine would constantly be taching higher (well, highway anyway, the other speeds you correct by being in a different gear). I suspect thats one reason why I get the same mileage in this truck with 33's as I got in my '97 D21 with 31's. that pig had 4.56's and tached 3k on the highway.

'05 Storm Gray SE CC 4x4, 6M. PRG 2" f/r, OEM fogs/skids, 265/75r16 Yokohama Geolandar AT/S, stubbie antenna. (GONE)
'11 F150, Ingot Silver XLT Off-Road Supercrew 275/65/18 Toyo AT2's

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > OffRoad / 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.