Nissan Frontier Forum banner

ARB front bumper install question

10K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  kimozi 
#1 ·
I'm installing an ARB Deluxe front bumper - 130lbs+ - on my 2014 Nissan Frontier crew cab. will that require greater suspension / shock support? Any experience on this?

#2 ·
I would highly recommend going with a higher rate spring/shock.

I had stock springs with bilstein 5100 shock when I installed my arb bumper and it was too soft and front end sagged too much. Plus when I hit the brakes it nose dived. So I replaced the front suspension with Old man emu HD shock and 608 HD springs to support the weight.

#12 ·
Painting the Powder coated ARB bumper

I wanted to have the powder coated bumper painted prior to installation, but no one seemed to know how to do that so I reached out to ARB(USA). Their reply was that they have a local paint shop do it all the time with no issues on their show pieces. It is common practice. They said it was the same as painting an existing primer coat. Knock off the gloss and, clean it and paint it with regular automotive paint. I'm going to ask that an additional primer coat be added along with a clear coat. This may seem too much, but mine will not be riding rocks, gully's and wallowing through rivers and streams.

#8 ·
Is the bumper already purchased? I have ogled the hefty aluminum bumper that only weighs in at 60lbs.

#9 ·
Just ordered it! The dealer said (after calling ARBUSA) that it will take about 4-5 weeks for delivery. I hope not! The weight really isn't a problem, but I'll be driving it home 125 miles away and would rather up grade the suspension with the installation if needed. The dealer thought that without adding a winch (I'm not) the stock suspension would do just fine. With a winch... a no brainer! (89-100lbs) Do it! I am more interested in front end protection because of deer and bear - be careful driving I-20 just west of the Mississippi.

#13 ·
It's in!

Just ordered it! The dealer said (after calling ARBUSA) that it will take about 4-5 weeks for delivery. I hope not! The weight really isn't a problem, but I'll be driving it home 125 miles away and would rather up grade the suspension with the installation if needed. The dealer thought that without adding a winch (I'm not) the stock suspension would do just fine. With a winch... a no brainer! (89-100lbs) Do it! I am more interested in front end protection because of deer and bear - be careful driving I-20 just west of the Mississippi.[/QUOTE

It's in - 2 weeks not 4 or 5. Not bad! I'll post a few pictures before and after.

#14 ·
I just put the ARB Deluxe Bumper (model 3438320) and a Smittybilt X20 10k winch (weight listed at 99 pounds) on my 2016 Pro-4X this past weekend.

I did it without modifying the suspension, but it will likely be my next modification and probably pretty quickly. I'm kind of driving it around a bit this week to see if I can get a feel for how it is impacting the truck's ride. Maybe from here I can work out what a good suspension setup might be.

I'll expect to spend the next week reading about peoples experiences with various setups to see whats worked well with the added 200+ pounds up front.

#17 ·
Suspension improvements if needed will come after the bumper install and the addition of a Shrockworks radiator skid plate (30lbs) I just want to get the bumper on first and evaluate my needs from there. I definitely will post pictures of before and after. More to come...

#20 ·
Did any of you installed the bumper yourself? I just bought ARB deluxe bumper today but did not avail of the install of 4wheel parts as its too expensive. Ill just do it myself if I can.

Do we have to do some cutting of the bumper or will fit right away? Hoping any of you will give me tips on how to do it. thanks

#21 ·
If you have a chrome bottom bumper you can simply remove it and the bumper will sit flush. if you have a pro4x/plastic bumper you have to cut it in half at the seam that's visible on the bumper. the rest should have been given to you by arb. post pics if yo get it done lol. also wow, a thread for 2017

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.