Anyone Tow Their Frontier? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone Tow Their Frontier?

I want to tow mine behind my motorhome. Everything I read about my truck says i'll have to trailer it because of the auto tranny. Does anyone tow there 4X4 Auto tranny?

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet, than open mouth and remove all doubt.........

2007 Frontier Nismo 4x4 cc, Radiant Silver, Rockford Fosgate/Sunroof Package, and Traction Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
hahaha funny story for your question. (the short answer of your question is on the bottom) when i sold nissans i met a guy named daniel, he told me he had done all the research in the world on this and he could tow an automatic behind a motorhome, and i said i didnt think he could so he started getting all big headed about it. so i didnt want to lose the sale i said simply, i'm not gonna argue with you sir, if say you can do it, i guess you can... i'm just a kid anyway right". that made him feel better and he bought an auto v6 cc. I made nearly no money on that deal. three weeks go by and the deal is funded by the bank now and hes got his first payment in about two weeks. so he comes back in mad as hell saying he cant tow the truck behind his motorhome cause the kit that he was gonna buy only works on manual. he wanted a new truck after putting 2300 miles on it. this turned out to be a big thing at our dealership and even the owner got involved. the guy ended up paying 3,500 more for taxes and depreciation after trading in his automatic for a 6speed we had to special order. i got two deals out of it but once again no gross profit.

you can only tow a manual behind a motorhome, and even with towing a 6spd you have to stop every 500 miles and turn the frontiers engine on to make sure everything gets lubricated. otherwise you'll burn out the tranny. the kit he wanted to buy supposidly lubricates all the internals while flat towing without a trailer. i never heard from him again after the second deal, i think he was too embarresed to come back in. poor guy... dont worry he owned part of a construction company here in vegas and had plenty of money. too bad he never heard of clubfrontier.org

2006 Frontier Nismo kc 4x2 - gone but missed
2010 Xterra OffRoad 4x4 - still breaking her in

Dan

Last edited by Nizmo4X2; 08-16-2007 at 08:25 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks, kind of what I thought after reading everything I could find.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet, than open mouth and remove all doubt.........

2007 Frontier Nismo 4x4 cc, Radiant Silver, Rockford Fosgate/Sunroof Package, and Traction Package
#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Not to mention that it states all that in the manual.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Donahue57
I just went throught this with my in-laws. There are some autos you can flat tow. They previously had an 02 Grand Cherokee auto and flat towed it for years w/o a problem. They also found a list through the motorhome company that included almost every Saturn auto, and the Pontiac G6 (the one the bought). They towed it to FL and back w/o any problems and the Pontiac service manager OK'd it. I'm assuming it's an issue with the design of the tranny.

05 KC 4x4 6spd, 33x11.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers from www.discounttiredirect.com , Banks Monster exhaust, Calmini Prerunner bumper, KMA Postrunner, Calmini 5".... planning Titan swap.... ATLAS II Tcase going in early March !!!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Shift_Obsessed

well this kit the guy was talking about (a little over a year ago) lubricated the moving parts while the truck was not running and in nuetral. the american companys might of taken that into consideration when they built the newer models. the japs are coming along slowly.

Dan
#7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Well u can pull it, but u would have to take the drive shaft out.... then u would be fine. You would just have the rear spinning then, correct me if im wrong but i think that would work. But im unsure on the front being its a 4x4 without manual hubs...
#8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Shift_Obsessed

technically you could disconnect any drivelines and be fine.

Dan
#9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Inyourface1650
The issue is the Transmission fluid pump is on the front side of the tranny (engine side). that way when your sitting at a light, and half the tranny isnt moving, the other half is, and the fluid is flowing. Now when your in neutral and being towed, the rear half of the transmission is turning, but not the front half. Hence the fluid pump is not turning, and there is no lubrication.

Some auto vehicles dont do this, and can be towed...but most cant, and certainly not ours. Another trick is to put the T-Case in neutral, and that would have worked up to '05....but the 2nd gen turn nob does not have a neutral setting. I swear our old QX4's did....

SirLurksAlot

Last edited by Inyourface1650; 08-17-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > OffRoad / 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.