VA loan to start business - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VA loan to start business

Im getting out of the army in 2017 and I want to use my VA loan to open an auto repair business. I want to specialize in something, probably transmissions.

My question is does anyone on here own a shop/know someone that does? What was the start up process like? Im going to be using the next 5 years to get ASE certs do these help at all with getting capitol from lenders? any other advice would be great.

08 fire engine red frontier. 80k mile range. 2* timing advance. OEM NGK iridium tipped plugs. K and N FIPK. Custom intake manifold spacer. Custom Magnaflow catback system with dual pipes/tips (1 in 2 out). Castrol edge w/titanium oil changes, K and N oil filters. Nissan matic S OEM tranny fluid. New BF goodrich OEM T/A tires. Truxedo tonneau. bed liner/extender. Chrome bumpers/grill/tailgate handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Shift_Fanatic

I suggest you go work for someone already in the business for a couple of years before just jumping into opening your own shop.

2012 Frontier Pro4X
King Cab
Automatic
Super Black (not just black but SUPER black!)
EZDown tailgate strut
Weathertech DigitalFit mats (grey)
Diamondback HD - LineX tonneau cover
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Shift_Newbie

:/

Ive been doing this for years guy.

08 fire engine red frontier. 80k mile range. 2* timing advance. OEM NGK iridium tipped plugs. K and N FIPK. Custom intake manifold spacer. Custom Magnaflow catback system with dual pipes/tips (1 in 2 out). Castrol edge w/titanium oil changes, K and N oil filters. Nissan matic S OEM tranny fluid. New BF goodrich OEM T/A tires. Truxedo tonneau. bed liner/extender. Chrome bumpers/grill/tailgate handle.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Well...if you've been running your own business for years then I guess you're one step ahead of the game!

2012 Frontier Pro4X
King Cab
Automatic
EZDown tailgate strut
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Shift_Newbie

my bad, ive been working in shops for years....being an army mechanic isnt really too different from working a civilian shop we just go shoot guns every couple weeks and visit foreign countries. Im pushin 30 im not some punk kid its time to step my game up.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Shift_Newbie

hey what are your qualifications HeavyG?

#7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Working in an Army shop you don't have to worry about:

meeting a payroll, cost control, advertising, insurance issues/requirements, dealing with state,local regs, zoning laws, local permits and building inspectors, bookkeeping, marketing, etc., etc., etc.

Best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIVE WAR A CHANCE View Post
None...just a guy in an internet forum.

2012 Frontier Pro4X
King Cab
Automatic
EZDown tailgate strut

Last edited by HeavyG; 11-21-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Shift_Newbie

I'll give you what I hope will be motivation for you. About 5 years ago I helped one of my best friends move all of his tools and equipment out of a shop he was working at into a two bay building when he started his own business. On Friday I'm helping him move out of his current 4-bay lease building into an 8-bay building that he bought. Hard work, good help and great customer service will make you in any business. You can hire an accountant and lawyer that you trust to help you with the paperwork. One of the best things you can do is find any area that doesn't have a specialty shop so you can fill a need. Also, don't ever be afraid to turn down the hard jobs; that makes you the go-to guy.

#9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
Working in an Army shop you don't have to worry about:

meeting a payroll, cost control, advertising, insurance issues/requirements, dealing with state,local regs, zoning laws, local permits and building inspectors, bookkeeping, marketing, etc., etc., etc.
like I said ive got 5 years to figure it out. thanks!

#10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,023 Times in 731 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIVE WAR A CHANCE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
None...just a guy in an internet forum.
^ this made me laff.

transmissions are meh.... i know a guy from the gym (just an acquaintance) and it seems that forced induction is his specialty. and let me tell you, that guy doesn't have enough time in the day to work. he constantly has people throwing money at him.

what one man can do, another can do.

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.