Preppers - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Preppers

Who here is a prepper?

I have a full 72 hour BOB at home, and kits in both of our cars. We are going to start overnight backpacking trips here soon so we can utilize our equipment and get familiar with it.

What do you have and do?

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been snowed in for over a week twice in my life.

I keep the pantry stocked, we have a generator and firewood. I carry snow chains, a shovel and blankets in the winter.

I don't consider myself a "prepper" on the other hand only a fool lives with no buffer for the unexpected.

The other day we got a brief snow squall that put less than an inch of snow on the ground. There were 4 accidents in the space of 10 miles on the interstate. You just never know.

2008 SE 4WD, Crew Cab, Long Bed; Leer 180 Cap, 2" Receiver hitch, Trailer wiring in bumper. Cooper 245/75/16 M&S (Winter). Cooper 265/75R16 ATP (Summer). Full set of Hefty skids, TJM Coilover w/HD spring, SPC upper control arms and 2" rear add a leaf plus 1" block. TJM extended travel rear shocks. Pyle backup camera wired to a Pioneer radio.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mine is really to cover 3 incidents: major earthquake, nuclear accident (live within 50 miles of a plant), and riots. I am surrounded by national forest, and have every intention on going there if some SHTF situation occurs.

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,763 Times in 1,098 Posts
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
If I were on the mainland I would be one! But on such a small island, I am better off digging in than bugging out. I'm already 300+ ft. above sea level, so most places I go would be worse natural disaster wise.

-Nate

Last edited by x_mods; 01-14-2013 at 07:46 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Shift_Fanatic

All I got are a box of MRE's and an AED. Prepping becomes pretty expensive but it will be worth every penny when sh*t hits the fan. My family does have an evacuation plan and meet up spots. Are you talking about the powerplant near the 5 going towards San Diego jhughes ?

2011 Crew Cab Luxury PRO-2X Super Black
MODS:
BlueSea System Fuse Block, Uniden PRO520XL CB Radio, 5 FT. FireStik II, Xoskel Light Cage, 4 6" KC Daylighters, 4 DDM Tuning 35w 5000k HIDs, Nismo CAI
#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin123560 View Post
All I got are a box of MRE's and an AED. Prepping becomes pretty expensive but it will be worth every penny when sh*t hits the fan. My family does have an evacuation plan and meet up spots. Are you talking about the powerplant near the 5 going towards San Diego jhughes ?
Yes, San Onofre

Build your gear a little at a time. Plan out exactly what you need, and then make a list of the supplies. Pick something up every couple of weeks. After a year, you would be surprised at the pack you have. The AED is a good one right off the bat.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Shift_Hardcore

The only reason "prepping" is even a thing is because so many people are used to living in the city, day-to-day. Anyone who lives in the country (or an area prone to natural disasters) knows to have extra food, water, tools, etc. It's just common sense.

Priorities (arguable, depending on scenario):

1) Water (store some and get a filter)

2) Food (MRE's, dehydrated, freeze-dried... or just rice and beans, depending on budget)

3) Shelter (your home + tent/camper/etc)

4) Self-defense (guns... more ammo than you need)

5) Transportation (ideally fuel efficient and off-road capable: dirt bike. but that's unrealistic for families, so this one can require many different approaches)

Are we really to a point where the average American doesn't have those five things available to them without having to go shopping?

A few cases of water won't break the bank and I have a water-filter for camping/backpacking. I got MRE's out of curiosity and some for free. Freeze-dried for camping/backpacking. Rice/beans are standard in the pantry, doesn't break the bank to buy more than you need. Probably have a roof over your head if you're on-line and own a truck. Camping gear is a given in any household I know of (living in Colorado). And guns... maybe it's just Colorado but there's more guns than people in the US, it's not exactly hard to own one (depending how fascist your state is). And for the last one... if you're on here, you probably have a truck capable of transporting you (possibly your family) and go off-road if necessary (within reason).

I don't see why it's so hard to be prepared without being labeled a conspiracy nut. Everyone in society has become way too comfortable with their security. I learned from my parents, grandparents and history professors that... well, quite frankly, **** always hits the fan eventually. It's inevitable based on the observations of human/societal behavior, historically. How delusional does one have to be to think that, somehow (magically), this society/civilization will be the first one in history to last forever? Yeah, right... if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

2005 CC SE 6MT 4x4 - Avalanche White
Titan Swap: 2.5 S.A.W. Ext Res C/O's|PRG UCA|PRG Shackles|Deaver AAL|Bilstein Rear Shocks
M205 Front Diff|Titan Shafts|PRG TRE|4.56 Superior Gears|M226 Rear Diff w/ TrueTrac LSD
2" Body Lift|35" BFGoodrich KM2 M/T|17x9 KMC Addicts|AFe CAI|Superchips Tuner|XTP IMS
Hefty Fabworks Full Skid Plate Set|Shrockworks Front/Rear Bumper, Rock Sliders and Rear Diff Cover

Last edited by HighALT; 01-14-2013 at 08:06 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Garage
I'm working on getting everything together. Like it was said, it's expensive so I add a little bit here and there. Just bought 1,600 stick matches, should last a while!

Where is a good place to get MRE's that have a great shelf life, at a decent price?

XLVIII
[/FONT][/CENTER]
#9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

^ the ready store. Got a weeks worth, heaters, and water for $135.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhughes3281 For This Useful Post:
Gadsden (01-14-2013)
#10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
Shift_Enthusiast
Lifetime Member

Garage
In a collective recommendation, what's amount to have? I've heard everything from 3 days to 1 year and beyond.

XLVIII
[/FONT][/CENTER]

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.