LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cavalier frame rotted and broke

I just wanted to get some ideas from people about my problem. My fiancee was driving home last night when something suddenly went in her car and she almost lost control. She managed to get it off the road, call me, and I came to see what was wrong and pick her up. I didn't see anything obvious, so, I took it on the road. After only a couple feet, I could tell something was MAJORLY wrong, as it pulled hard to the right with a nasty grinding noise. Looked under the car, looked at the ball joints, steering linkage, etc, but didn't think to look at the subframe. Her cousin came to help us load it on his big trailer, and he happened to notice the problem. The subframe (the modular frame that bolts to the unibody and goes forward to the front control arm) was so rotted away that it broke and got shoved back, pushing the front passenger wheel into contact with the wheel well. I am so surprised by this, and is the last thing I could think of going wrong with a car. How could they have designed it this shoddily ? It is a 1997 cavalier with only 60,000 miles, but it has been sitting more than the average car, which is the reason for all the underbody rust, even though the body is in perfect condition. Has anybody had this problem before? Any ideas on cost? I will probably be bringing it to a local mechanic tonight for an estimate. I can also easily get some used parts from a local junkyard as well, as I suspect I may go that route.

'06 Frontier XE, 2.5L Auto, King Cab, 2WD, Silver
Owner since June '08, and freakin' loving this truck!
Best MPG: 25.8
Interior Mods: Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator, Custom Scangauge mount, In-cab maglite mount, rubber Nissan floormats
Exterior Mods: Custom grille, splash guards, ventvisors, OEM style aftermarket fog lights (wired using this guide)
Performance mods: CAI , Electric Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would have to say...salty roads=totally rusted undercarriage
and probobly totalled when figuring the cost of repair. I can always tell a northern market Jaguar cause after a year or 2 the undercarriage and stainless exhaust system is rusted. Just one of the many reasons I love TEXAS...

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

0-60 video P4070007 - YouTube

OWNER BUILT REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER
OMF street-locked Nismo wheels, 456 GEARS
Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

wowsers good luck with a fix on that
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Shift_Newbie

i used to live in Syracuse NY and I can relate to the rust and the over salting of the roads. Unfortuntely i think you already know what the cost is going to be. Worth more than a 97 cavalier My advice is call the insurance company and total the car and get her another one. If and only if it can be fixed, highly doubtful, the frame will never be straight again and you will have alot of problems in the future. I would buy beaters for the winter and I would coat the underside with bedliner material and ran a 88 chevy Beretta for several years like that

2008 Storm Gray CC LE, Nissan hitch, limo tint, EZ down tailgate assist, redline hood struts, k&n drop in, PRG Basic Suspension Package, Hypertech tuned..... that's it so far!

1990 300ZX P.O.S for now. rebuilding and doing a TT swap
update 03/28/2012 518rwhp & 496rwtq
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

I'm hoping it doesn't need to be 'totalled', simply because the frame section that rotted away I think is modular, as in it can be unbolted from the vehicle, and another one bolted in in its place. We will see when we take it to the garage though. I just thought somebody might have seen this happen before with cavaliers maybe, like it is a known problem? I know that rust is a problem in the northeast, but to have a frame totally rot away before the body? I've NEVER heard of that before. Thanks guys.

Interior Mods: Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator, Custom Scangauge mount, In-cab maglite mount, rubber Nissan floormats
Exterior Mods: Custom grille, splash guards, ventvisors, OEM style aftermarket fog lights (wired using this guide)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Sure I've seen that up here plenty of times and you can be sure it's unrepairable. Oh, and pics would be cool!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Called a couple of shops, the first one said it was something he has seen before, and that it is repairable (but he doesn't have time to do it). Second shop said he hasn't really heard of it, but doesn't doubt its possible. He agreed with the diagnosis of the first shop and can take a look at it and probably repair it next week. The subframe will most definitely need to be replaced, and I can get that from a local junkyard. The question-mark comes when we look at the part of the unibody that the subframe bolts up to. If that is rotted away, then the damage is much more severe and will cost a LOT more (peeling away the carpet on the floor, lots of welding, etc), possibly more than the dumb car is worth. This subframe is the most important part of the front end; it holds up the motor as well as ALL the suspension pieces. So to make one of the most important parts of the vehicle that susceptable to rust, I am very disappointed in the design of this car, and trust me, I won't be going with another Cavalier again.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well If It Makes You Feel Better The First And Last New Car I Bought Was A Pos 82 Cavalier, Clutch At 12k, Bolts Backed Out Of Flywheel, Engine At 16k, 2rods Through The Block, Firsat Flat And Spare Tire Well Was Full Of Water And Spare Didnt Fit The Car, Engine Caught Fire At 30k, And Then X Wife Totalled On A Tree.....

"Understeer, when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer, when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower, how fast you hit the wall. Torque, how far you take the wall with you."

0-60 video P4070007 - YouTube

OWNER BUILT REAR BUMPER AND TIRE CARRIER
OMF street-locked Nismo wheels, 456 GEARS
Shrock skids, winch bumper, 9500# winch.PRG 10 leaf packs, Radflos, BFG KM2 305/70/16
Confer roof rack, aluminum tool boxes, Piaa 525 driving/fog, projector HID headlights, and fogs, Carbon fiber grill sliders, crossdrilled rotors, EBC pads, 1 touch windows. Owner built engine and Custom fit Ken Bell Super Charger. NISMO T stat, UPREV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to STREAKIN20
Damn!!! Hope The Wifey Made It Out Ok But Sounds Like A Blessing The Tree Got In Her Way. That Damn Thing Needed To Die. That Car Is Worse Than A Boat. Over Time You Throw More $$ In'em Than They're Worth. Lol.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL View Post
Well If It Makes You Feel Better The First And Last New Car I Bought Was A Pos 82 Cavalier, Clutch At 12k, Bolts Backed Out Of Flywheel, Engine At 16k, 2rods Through The Block, Firsat Flat And Spare Tire Well Was Full Of Water And Spare Didnt Fit The Car, Engine Caught Fire At 30k, And Then X Wife Totalled On A Tree.....

Holy crap!

Nissan Frontier Forum > Nissan Frontier Forums > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.