Nissan Frontier Forum banner

2nd Gen Roof Rack (Crew Cab)

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rpcraft 
#1 ·
Ok, I need help. I want to remove the Factory rack from my 2008 Frontier. Nothing it wrong with it I just do not want it on there anymore. I will then sell it but the problem is what to fill the existing holes on with. I will not use silicone or anything similar, like I have seen suggested on other post. I am sure I probably could use the existing screw but I was hoping for a slighty more flush and cleaner look.

#7 ·
Do you really dislike it that much to remove it? IMO it is not worth the time, work and money to remove the roof rack. Unless it is done right is going to look ugly and impact your re-sale value in the future.

#9 ·
I recommend that you have a body shop remove it and then weld the holes shut, repaint and you will have a nice professional looking job. Otherwise, I would just leave it alone.

#11 ·
I've seen an Xterra with no roof rack. Guy used low profile Allen key bolts and small rubber washers. Yes you could see them but it still looked fine. An Xterra looks confused with no rack. The reason I wouldn't fill them is down the road you might want to put it on again, maybe when you sell it

#12 ·
Well if you are dead set, and don't want to weld,you could do it with a dimple tool / alum soft countersink rivets (shoot them wet with sealer)

Attachments

#13 ·
What color is your roof, since I am late to the game? Watever color it is One thing you could do is get some Aluminum bolts from Probolt that are close to the finish, then screw them down carefully so as to not scratch them, then just put a rubber O-ring under each screw to seal it, or silicone if you want them as flush as possible (they also have teflon washers that you might opt for but I am unsure how well they will seal to be honest).

The motorcycle industry likes to have a lot of anodized colored screws. Here is a link for example... Go crazy. I have spent stupid money with Probolt on my bikes but usually my stuff is usually brushed finish, unless I can't avoid it, lol.

https://www.pro-bolt.com/aluminium/...-head-bolt-m10-x-1-25mm-x-25mm-pk-x-10-7.html

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.