V8 Swaps, whats been done? - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Shift_lurker

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
V8 Swaps, whats been done?

So i'm gathering information for my next project which is a 05+ crew cab short bed, sfbd etc and my new idea is to do a v8 swap. Since im unsure of what engines people normally swap into these trucks, if any, my current plan is to use an LT1 with a stand alone wiring harness as i plan on fiberglassing an entirely new fashboard and using dakota digital gauges. What have V8 swaps have been done on the Frontiers if any?

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

From what I can gather, lots of people have dreams and plans of doing a V8 swap, but none have followed through. I've seen lots of debate and speculation on whether a Titan's 5.6 will fit as far as wiring, space, and bolting up to the transmission, but I didn't really ever see a single definite answer on any of those topics (not that I've searched intentionally for info, just what I've read casually). I think somebody has posted before that Nissan fit a Titan's engine into a pathfinder or xterra as a concept vehicle, and they are basically the same platforms, so I would assume it is possible.

I'm sure a lot of people on here (including me right now), will tell you to SEARCH, SEARCH, SEARCH. There has been multitudes of threads made about this very topic.

'06 Frontier XE, 2.5L Auto, King Cab, 2WD, Silver
Owner since June '08, and freakin' loving this truck!
Best MPG: 25.8
Interior Mods: Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator, Custom Scangauge mount, In-cab maglite mount, rubber Nissan floormats
Exterior Mods: Custom grille, splash guards, ventvisors, OEM style aftermarket fog lights (wired using this guide)
Performance mods: CAI , Electric Fan
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Shift_lurker

well thats the thing all ive seen whos been saying they WANT to do something not whats actually been done.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TerribleOne Send a message via Yahoo to TerribleOne
The pathfinder has been fitted with the same Titan v8; as well there has been one or two swapped into an Xterra. From what I have read (and we all know how accurate things are on the internet) you will need to fab up motor mounts and possibly an adapter plate for the transmission. Although, I believe that I have read somewhere as well that the transmission just bolted right up, along with most of the wiring.

Many have plans to do this swap (including myself); but will be waiting for their perfectly good engine to take a dump first. You can find the engine with wiring harness for around 1,000$. There is actually one for sale on titantalk.com right now.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned
Shift_Enthusiast

yeah, dont bother with the swap. if i were you, id throw together a reliable and durable turbo kit for the vq 40.. you could have a groupbuy and make tons of cash.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff View Post
yeah, dont bother with the swap. if i were you, id throw together a reliable and durable turbo kit for the vq 40
Because of the custom fab work? What would keep you from doing this?

I've just had a titan loaner, and really liked the V8 engine, power & sound. Would be interested in a swap in the future myself.

thank god other people are doing all the R&D
#7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to buy a V8 Pathfinder that is wrecked in the rear and just swap everything over.

Hi, my name is Kyle

2008 Frontier NISMO KC 4x4 6 speed - Storm Gray
1998 Acura Integra RS - Milano Red
2012 VW GTI - Candy White
#8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Like many people have mentioned before, it is possible to swap a V8 Titan/Pathfinder/Armada engine into a Frontier. It has been done on an Xterra so It could be done on a Frontier. One of the downsides (which somebody has mentioned in other threads) is that the VIN number on the engine wouldn't match with the VIN on the vehicle itself. Therefore it probably wouldn't pass inspection in some states. I'm not sure if that can be changed or not.

Kerry
#9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TerribleOne Send a message via Yahoo to TerribleOne
You can have a stand alone ECU built for you (can't remember the company name offhand) and they can code the VIN to match.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
imm not sure as far as computer but ive looked into it heavily and have a 5.6 from a wrecked titan. and my tranny matches up with the motor i plan to put in. and as far as actually going it. it fits with from what i hear nothing more than pretty much bolt on. im just not a computer wiz. and **** lol could just make it all motor and forget a computer throw a carb on it hahahahahahah and forget coilpacks. but i havent the time to do it and hate working in winter because i dont have a heated garage so all stops durring winter so i want to do it next summer if i havent been shipped out yet.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Performance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.