Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Superchips installed and reviewed! +Dyno Charts/Data Logs

744K views 567 replies 143 participants last post by  smj999smj 
#1 ·
Finally tried it on the way home today in perfromance setting. Immediate impressions are a much smoother idle(albeit my current throttle body problems) and the throttle response in neutral is awesome. Pulling out of the parking lot was fun. In the light rain weve had today, any quick pedal jabs renders first gear useless. Pulling out on the high way in 3rd doing about 30, then to the floor feels awesome. The truck just seems to look for more. The 3300 rpm mark where you normally feel the kick in of the power band from the intake switch over has gone from cool, to almost turbo like. I **** you not. After cruising up the high way which is a normal route for me to take, I also noticed less strain up inclines in 6th. The performace tunes strong point is obviously more low end torque. I was playing stop light tag with a guy in a hemi, and it was funny. If you can manage to launch right without spinning too much, 1 to 2 and 2 to three is terrific. I walked him all 4 times with about 1/8 mile between lights.
I havent noticed any mpg gains, but I've been playing also. The other tunes I havent tried out yet, but will this coming week just to see what they are like.
I havent tried how high the rev limiter goes, the options just say normal and raised. I dont see any point in going over 6000 rpms. The speed limiter options are the same (normal and raised), at 125 I called it quits, it was fast enough to drive a truck like ours.

Using the programmer is easy(cavemen can do it ) When you get it, go to Superchips / Home / www.superchips.com , click on update programmer, and sign up. You'll have to pick titan, since frontier is still not listed. The form you fill out has no bearing on the programmer so put in what you like, then download the update program. Install that, then start it. Once running, plug your programmer into the usb port. It will update in about a minute. Then plug it into your truck. It will scan and save the stock map of the truck in about 3 minutes. At that point it will tell you it needs an update. it will also give you a file number which is superchips designation of your stock map, write it down(I made a label and put it on the programmer, it will look this 1ZPP3A, which was my map). Plug the programmer into the PC and run the update again. It will send the stock configuration to the server then retrieve the appropriate tunes back. Once they are downloaded, plug it back into your truck. It will redownload the stock map, then will allow you to tune it.
Quick tune is only three options: Performance, Perf Tow, and 87 octane. Advanced tune is the same, but gives you a secondary set of option, rev limiter, speed limiter and WOT disabling. Choose what youd like to do and press ok, and about 3 minutes later, you're all set, go enjoy.
As a note, when the programmer communicates with the ECU, it will turn the electric fan on, why I have no idea, but it does.
If anyone runs into any questions, just ask. I've only had it working for a day, but from playing around with it and talking with the superchips people, I'm pretty good with it already.

See less See more
Reactions: Spud40
#3 ·
You guys always do this to me! Now I have to budget this "necessity" into my life. Or not...time shall tell. What did you pay for it? I'm seeing it on Jegs for $430.

#4 ·
Must...resist...urge...to....order! I think I'll do an exhaust then get this. Thanks for the post!

#8 ·
Almost all performance tuners/chips get a lot of their gains from adjusting the timing. And the adjustment usually isn't a fixed number but changes with each tune/setting and throttle position.

#20 ·
Whats the diff? His was an 06' right??
Just wonderin..:confused:

#7 ·
One question for you Red . . . . did you disable the WOT and what's it feel like in your 6 speed??????

I guess it dosen't advance the timing becasue it's not mentioned on their site in the list of what it does -- unless you know differently?
Actually from what I've been able to ascertain the tuning in some maps may indeed advance timing depending on which tuner you are dealing with. Superchips I'm not sure, but some do. It's part of that particular map's parameters, including A/F changes etc.

I want to hear back from bigriver on this one too, the more feedback the better. Thanks Red!!!!!!

#10 ·
One question for you Red . . . . did you disable the WOT and what's it feel like in your 6 speed??????

Actually from what I've been able to ascertain the tuning in some maps may indeed advance timing depending on which tuner you are dealing with. Superchips I'm not sure, but some do. It's part of that particular map's parameters, including A/F changes etc.

I want to hear back from bigriver on this one too, the more feedback the better. Thanks Red!!!!!!

Yes i did disable the WOT restriction, and it is fun, It will be permanently turned off.

As far as timing advance goes, it is not a separate option, it is part of the tunes. Right now I am dealing with a funky idle and some pulled timing due to a messed up TPS(my own fault) and after tuning it in performance mode, the timing did jump from 10 to 13, so I imagine it is advanced from baseline. I will be putting on a new throttle body on Tuesday, so I will see what it reads out then. Hopefully if I can hold the stock 15 degress BTC, and redo the tune it will jump up to 17.

And I know this will be asked, you cannot tune or adjust any other vehicle once your programmer is associated with your truck. You can use it to scan check engine lights though in other vehicles.

#9 ·
It does advance the timing. It is part of the tune. That's why you see different octane levels listed for the tunes. It does not do JUST a timing advance as a individual feature. (at least what I was told by a Superchips tech)

#19 · (Edited)
I have a couple questions now. Should I order this from Superchips, autoanything, or somewhere else?(cheapest, easiest etc.) Do i need to know my engine map while ordering it, or when i get it and plug it in. And, have you tested the Tire adjustor controls? How does it work?
If anyone has some answers that would be awesome.

Screw it. its on the way from Truck Customizers. Free Overnight!

#22 ·
You can get it wherever you like. I went through Autoanything.com because they had free overnight shipping on the day of release, and their return policy is great (just in case it didnt work). You do not need your engine map to order it. Once you get the unit, download the updater program from superchips.com , install it, then plug the tuner into the USB port and allow it to update. Once updated, plug it in your truck and follow the screen prompts. it will ask for another update, plug it back into the PC and repeat. If they do not have your maps, the unit will give you a file number, write it down. It will also send your trucks info to superchips via the updater program. Call them and give them the file number and you should have your program in a day or so. It will most likely work with the second update since they have already added 3 revisions to the support for the frontiers. And the tire adjuster controls are not optioned for us, therefor are not even listed on the programmer.

#21 ·
Nissan uses about a million types of ECUs, the 08s use 1,000,001.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you use the tune menu and select stock, it places the exact stock tuning map back on the ecu, ie they could nto tell a thing.

And as far as the tire adjustments go, I do not think they have plans of adding that into the tuner, but I may be wrong.

#28 ·
I know this is very unlikely, but, have you messed with economy mode? I'm curious to see what/if any differences it makes in MPG. I know that you're not supposed to rod on it in econ mode tho, thus making it not appealing ever. I mean, what if someone wants to race off a light. :laugh:

#31 ·
dyno # track # and videos will help people make up there mind on this purchase. Maybe one of you should talk to the manufacture about putting together a spread sheet. baseline vs max powe rmod and so on. It sounds pretty cool. I just want to know if it is increasing lowend TQ or highend HP only.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sweet. Between intake, headers, cats, exhaust, e-fan, pulley (light weight not underdrive) and a Superchips tune my truck should get it's power back.

And if anyone ever makes gears for the SE 6sp 4x4 then all the better.

#34 · (Edited)
hopefully you have the windows simulator-type software to get it to work with the mac.

Although Mac is not supported, Parallels Desktop or VMware
Fusion running a shell of Windows XP/2000 or Vista is supported.

#38 ·
^ they probably can but there is no way they would ever do it.

#39 ·
So I finally installed my SC unit. I got it a few weeks ago but was travelling so didn't get to do anything until now. I didn't have any problems instaling AND I didn't have to replug it into the computer after tuning. I just downloaded from the computer once and then plugged it into the truck at it was tuned. Is that the way it should be?

I'm going to go test drive it in 87 performance (with WOT disabled) becaue that's what I have in truck right now. On the stock setting, can I have WOT disabled? I didn't seem to be able to do that.

So far regular day-to-day / highway driving, is "87 performance" the recommended tune?

#40 ·
I like it!

I had a chance to complete the tune and took it out for a test drive in the 87 Octane tune with the WOT disabled. It is definitely more reponsive than stock. In that 0 - 40 mile speed range you definitely get more throttle response. The shifts are quicker and smoother. Highway cruising speed is reached quicker and responds better when you give it gas.

I also just got my Magnaflow muffler put on so I'll be getting anther dyno done on the stock tune to see the gains from the muffler and then do a dyno with the 87 octane tune because that's what I have in the truck. If someone wants to do a dyno with 91 octane and the performance tune, that would be good too

#41 ·
Another Review

I have had some time to get to know my new programer. I have not used the 91 octane tune because I do not put premium in this truck. The 87 tune is a definite improvement over stock. Low end power is much better, all though still boggs a little off the line even with the throttle restriction dissabled. The rev limmiter adjustment does nothing for an automatic as far as I can tell. My truck shifts around 5800 RPM @ WOT which I think is a slight reduction from where it used to shift. I do not know where the speed limmiter adjustment maxes out yet. Stock for me was 160KM per hour.

Bottom line, nice adjustmemt to the truck. For the price I do not think any other mod will yeild these results and no busted knukles on the install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.