Superchips < Hypertech < Bully Dog ? confused - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Superchips < Hypertech < Bully Dog ? confused

So I read conflicting arguments about all of these 3.

The bottom line is that all of them improve MPG by around 1-2 and improve performance by between 10-20 HP (this depends on what RPM/gear, and driving style).

Cost-wise, from most to least expensive
1. Bully Dog: Triple Dog GT ($370)
2. Hypertech Max Energy ($330)
3. Superchips Cortex ($300)

How long they have been around (newer on top)
1. Bully Dog (just out in September 2009)
2. Hypertech
3. Superchips (really old...people complement them on great support)

Reported MPG gains:
1. Bully Dog (2+... this is due to driving coach perhaps)
2. Hypertech +1-2
2. Superchips +1-2

Performance increase reports:

All of them do very similar programing, but tune the engine differently.

I've heard the Superchips is very neutral. It gives a boost, but nothing spectacular. I read Hypertech will give a more aggressive feel to a frontier, which is preferable over Superchips, but very close (nothing too spectacular). Both are identical with higher octane gas. Also, both seem to be limited by spinning wheels (can't this be dangerous?, btw...).

Bully Dog is really new and there isn't enough data to support it other than that is specifically designed for trucks. It has many features that can be switched on the fly (economy, performance, tow) and includes a status monitor that is mounted on the windshield. The worst I've heard is that it very custom and maybe it's performance tuning isn't as good as the other 2 popular brands, which have proven increases; though I do see Triple Dog GT out preform all others in videos.

What do yall think??? I should buy a Triple Dog GT?

2009 Nissan Frontier SE v6 CC 4x4 (with value package accessories and a few OEM extras) 6 year warranty 60month 0% APR, bought 2k below invoice price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave Send a message via Yahoo to Irongrave
they are all the same. they each do the same thing, same power basicly. they bully dog is nice because it can be mounted and act as a gauge and the shift on the fly option. I run superchips because it was the first one out. On a stock truck it don't do much but on mine it was the last piece of a puzzle and finished off a bolt on NA motor build.

The Nissan got wrecked did the jeep thing now messing with a turbo Subaru and 960 sqft of shop space
#3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Shift_Fanatic

I have the BD GT and have been happy with it, performance increased and mileage increased with no additional mods as of yet (exhaust & intake). The BD has 2 tunes, 87 and 93, I have tried both and there is a big difference over stock and between the 2. You CAN change idle RPM and timing advance on the fly (while driving) however you CANNOT change Tunes, WOT, Rev Limiter or Speed Limiter without shutting down and re-programming. This is not a big deal and takes very little time. The monitoring portion of the unit is very customizable in the fact that you can change to what you want to see on the screen, ie. economy, speed, RPM, AF, etc. Even without the driving coach set up it still monitors driving habits and tells you if you are braking too hard, speeding up too fast, how much energy wasted. Screen looks good, very intuitive, and easy to use. I personally cant complain about it at all, It does what it says it will do and when I first go it I had to call tech to have them email me the update (didn't play well with win7 or vista 64 bit) and he was great, walked me through what the problem was and had it ready to go in minutes. One note here is that it uses a Micro SD card to store everything so you don't have to install the BD updater, the tune is just a zip file that you can extract to the card, makes it nice for the Mac guys that can't install the updater.

Hope this helps
#4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I like my Hypertech a lot and would recommend to anybody. It can also read and clear DTCs which is a nice feature (the others may too, I dunno). Definitely the most "seat-of-the-pants punch" mod I've done so far.

2007 NISMO Frontier 4x4, KC, Black - K&N intake, 2in/2out custom Magnaflow duals, WRP IMS & TBS, Hypertech tuner, BFG AT KOs, 1 x JL 12W6v2, Tint

Check out my Frontier videos on YouTube
#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Shift_Fanatic

^^^OOOPs, I forgot to mention that the BD clears codes too.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

After doing some research, I found that Bully Dog seems to do less for Frontiers/Titans than other trucks.

For example, Hypertech optimizes shift points, but Bully Dog does not.

2009 Nissan Frontier SE v6 CC 4x4 (with value package accessories and a few OEM extras) 6 year warranty 60month 0% APR, bought 2k below invoice price
#7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just an FYI, our transmission has its own controller so a programmer won't do anything unless they make a new adapter for it.

If you are looking for MPG, then go Superchips since it costs the least which will help you recoup the original cost of the programmer.

If you are going for max performance, then skip the handhelds and go UpRev, the only real custom tuner out there.

Lastly, if you want firmer shifts, then go TransGo or Level10 or if you feel like spending a bit of money, IPT.

07 SE CC Auto
#8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie2003 View Post
Just an FYI, our transmission has its own controller so a programmer won't do anything unless they make a new adapter for it.
Just gonna say that, Here is what the Hypertech will do, same as the others.

Adjustable Features

* Top Speed Limiter 81, 87, 93, 99, 106, 112 & 118 MPH
* Rev Limit -500 to 0 RPM
* 0-60 MPH Restriction
* DTCs Read and Clear
* Return Back To Stock
* Internet Updateable
#9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckemoff View Post
Cost-wise, from most to least expensive
1. Bully Dog: Triple Dog GT ($370)
2. Hypertech Max Energy ($330)
3. Superchips Cortex ($300)
Link with Cortex at $300? The Hypertech was cheapest when I bought mine, I found it for $319 w/ free shipping on eBay.

2007 NISMO Frontier 4x4, KC, Black - K&N intake, 2in/2out custom Magnaflow duals, WRP IMS & TBS, Hypertech tuner, BFG AT KOs, 1 x JL 12W6v2, Tint

Check out my Frontier videos on YouTube
#10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie2003 View Post

If you are looking for MPG, then go Superchips since it costs the least which will help you recoup the original cost of the programmer.

If you are going for max performance, then skip the handhelds and go UpRev, the only real custom tuner out there.

Lastly, if you want firmer shifts, then go TransGo or Level10 or if you feel like spending a bit of money, IPT.
Sorry, you are right.

All tuners have almost the same features (all that are available for the frontier, which seems to be more limited than other cars...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Night View Post
Link with Cortex at $300? The Hypertech was cheapest when I bought mine, I found it for $319 w/ free shipping on eBay.
Autozone

Last edited by eckemoff; 03-03-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Performance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.