Standalone ECU - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Standalone ECU

Has anyone looked into this idea?

I am planning on building a desert/rock truggy starting next year, and hope to use most of the parts from the truck including the engine. However, I really would prefer to switch to the 6-speed manual tranny but I know that the computer would freak out left and right. My understanding is that there are different ECU's for different engine setup's. Since I will only need the computer to run the spark and fuel, I was thinking a standalone would work to overcome the issues of different ECU's for different combo's of engine/tranny.

I started looking at something like this.
Infinity Stand-Alone Programmable Engine Management System - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

What are your thoughts?

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to westracing01
Couldn't you just get the transmission and associated computers out of the same truck and swap them into yours?

2009 Titan Swapped PRO-4X KC 4x4 6spd...
See my Build Thread for mod list and pics...

"A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them."

The words "Titan Swap, cheap, easy, M205, re-gear, quick, coilovers" are not to be spoken in the same sentence.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ not sure. Again...my understanding is that there are many different ECU variations and may not work with a direct swap. Plus, I want a simple ECU setup, not the crazyness we have now since I won't need a lot of the features that come with the truck.

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
#4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,073 Times in 785 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis
stand alone may be the way to go otherwise the stock ECU even one that was programmed to be paired to a manual trans, would be looking to maintain emissions as well. you dont care about that for an off road rig. so a stand alone would maintain the electrical requirements for the motor as far as the stoichiometry and temperatures etc. but wont bother to try and maintain the proper emissions limits. or at least, thats how i understand it. perhaps im wrong?

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Performance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.