Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Dual Exhaust without removing spare tire?

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ToddG 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone has been able to run a dual exhaust setup without removing their spare? I didn't realize how little room there is back there with the spare mounted. My plan is to have the exhaust shop remove the Y pipe and install a dual in/dual out muffler and run the pipes straight out the back. First shop I went to told me there was no way to do it without removing the spare. Anyone have a different experience?

#3 ·
^ This. But if you really want duals you could always turn them out in front of the tires. It just leaves them hanging pretty low if you wheel in the rocks at all and you'd have to be able to remove the driver's side in case you ever had to drop the tank.

#10 ·
Was searching for something else on YouTube and this popped up on the side and remembered this thread from a few days ago.

Not any real detail on how his piping is run but it appears his spare is still in place (about the 52 second mark).

Might be worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34cQTAEsN4

#15 ·
Spoke to one other shop and they didn't seem real confident that they could work around the spare tire either. After hearing that and reading through the thread that Mhannis posted about his exhaust problems, I think I'm going to hold off and just buy a cat-back system down the road when funds allow it. Thanks for all the input.

#16 · (Edited)
honestly, if you just do a y-pipe delete and have someone weld in the muffler you want, you'll save some $$ and get basically the same performance results. The 4.0L sounds good with a Magnaflow exhaust (that's the set up I had on my old Xterra). It'll probably cost you around $200-250 installed. That beats the $500-600 you'll spend on a full cat-back.

#18 ·
I have to say, dual in single out is what I would recommend.
Get rid of the hideously restrictive "y" pipe that Nissan stuck us with.
Dual in dual out will give you more drone and less back pressure (loss of low end).
I speak from experience with my own Frontier.

Had a dual in dual out and regretted it after a short period of time.
Capped off one of the exits (making it single out) and regained some low end and took a lot of the drone away.

And if you run a CAI it will also create more "noise" combined with an after market exhaust of any variety, just FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.