Bully Dog for Dummies - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bully Dog for Dummies

I just picked up a Bully Dog 40410 tuner with the basic intent of bumping the idle up a bit on my 2011 SV to solve the current low idle shake that is so prevalent on these trucks. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but it seem like a simple enough thing to try since I am out of Nissan options. However, as I search and read through some threads on this tuner they all read with a similar assumption of understanding just what these units can do. As a complete noob to this sort of thing, if you would indulge me, I thought I'd post a few questions to help bring me up to speed a bit. So I welcome all of your advice and opinions.

I do understand the need to download the software, unit updates and the like from the website so i am good there. But before I go plugging the unit into the truck interface and making any changes I better have an idea of what I might be getting into. I have also had a couple PM chats with a couple very nice forum members who have also provided some nice groundwork but I want to build on that. So here goes.

1) First and foremost, if I plug in and make any changes whatsoever to the current stock programming I can at any time revert back to that current stock state of programming, correct? And, perhaps just as important, just what state of stock does it revert to? What I mean by that is because I have had the latest TSB for the idle applied by the dealer would that be the point it reverts to or would it go back to the original stock programming?

2) For those of you that have used this unit, were there any warranty worries? Does using a unit like this risk voiding the factory warranty? I have read these leave traces of use even when returned to stock programming. Just curious what your experiences have been on this front

3) Because I have read about three things specifically these are commonly use for: WOT (no longer available), idle and 2* advance what other applications, parameters or changes have you had good successes with that?

4) If I am using regular/87 octane fuel is there a standard or built in ‘tune’ program to apply?

5) What changes have you made that have given you the greatest, quantifiable MPG increases?

6) Given that giant plug on the rear of the rather small unit what mounting options and/or locations have you found that you like? I have the suction cup windshield mount but and thinking about something a little more permanent or less obvious to the outside world. Perhaps down on the center console. I did see a RAM ball mount that could have some merit.

Thanks in advance and hopefully others will find this discussion helpful as well.

2011 King Cab SV 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous View Post
I just picked up a Bully Dog 40410 tuner with the basic intent of bumping the idle up a bit on my 2011 SV to solve the current low idle shake that is so prevalent on these trucks. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but it seem like a simple enough thing to try since I am out of Nissan options. However, as I search and read through some threads on this tuner they all read with a similar assumption of understanding just what these units can do. As a complete noob to this sort of thing, if you would indulge me, I thought I'd post a few questions to help bring me up to speed a bit. So I welcome all of your advice and opinions.

I do understand the need to download the software, unit updates and the like from the website so i am good there. But before I go plugging the unit into the truck interface and making any changes I better have an idea of what I might be getting into. I have also had a couple PM chats with a couple very nice forum members who have also provided some nice groundwork but I want to build on that. So here goes.

1) First and foremost, if I plug in and make any changes whatsoever to the current stock programming I can at any time revert back to that current stock state of programming, correct? And, perhaps just as important, just what state of stock does it revert to? What I mean by that is because I have had the latest TSB for the idle applied by the dealer would that be the point it reverts to or would it go back to the original stock programming?
It will read whatever is currently programmed into the pcm, incl any dealer updates, and save it as the stock program

2) For those of you that have used this unit, were there any warranty worries? Does using a unit like this risk voiding the factory warranty? I have read these leave traces of use even when returned to stock programming. Just curious what your experiences have been on this front
Never had an issue with it but IF your dealer wanted to be a douche I suppose they could technically deny you a related warranty service. However, there is no way that any dealer tech would be able to tell that you have the tuner if you returned it to stock and removed the unit before taking it in for warranty repairs assuming that you don't leave all of the wiring/connectors hanging out under the dash right next to the OBD port that they will have to tap into for repairs or updates

3) Because I have read about three things specifically these are commonly use for: WOT (no longer available) wasn't aware of this. It's still avail for my '11 which I believe is the same tune for the '12, not sure on the '13, idle and 2* advance what other applications, parameters or changes have you had good successes with that?
It also has gauge pod features that allow you to create your own ideal gauge cluster. Another cool feature is the "driving coach". It is basically a nanny that tells you when your driving is hurting possible mpg. Basically it beeps and the green light goes yellow to red when you are accelerating too quickly or decelerating too quickly to teach you how to be a fuel miser and it grades you on each driving cycle. It's fun to play with and it WILL get you better mileage if you don't mind driving like your grandma.
It can also read and erase codes, which occasionally comes in very handy

4) If I am using regular/87 octane fuel is there a standard or built in ‘tune’ program to apply?
Yes, just set the 87 octane tune and it will do the rest. Just folow the direction prompts on the screen during install

5) What changes have you made that have given you the greatest, quantifiable MPG increases?
Without a doubt just following the driving coach feature. The rest of the mods just make you want to smash your foot to the floor constantly which has the expected affect on mpg ; )

6) Given that giant plug on the rear of the rather small unit what mounting options and/or locations have you found that you like? I have the suction cup windshield mount but and thinking about something a little more permanent or less obvious to the outside world. Perhaps down on the center console. I did see a RAM ball mount that could have some merit.
There is a thread dedicated to where users have mounted these. It's basically your preference. I used the suction mount on my 06 and just drilled a tiny mouse hole in the A pillar bezel to run the cable through. Makes it a bit tough to pull it out for visits to the dealership though.

Thanks in advance and hopefully others will find this discussion helpful as well.
Hope this helps (assuming all the notes in red got saved in the quote)?

2014 Pro-4x CC Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, JBA 1410s shorties, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front bumper, sliders and skids, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED bar, LED HL, map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
New DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and whatever else I can't live without...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad 13 For This Useful Post:
minitruckin (08-07-2013), nervous (08-08-2013), nissanaddicted (08-07-2013), PedalBiker (08-07-2013), yamato72 (08-07-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Shift_Newbie

Thank you Nomad 13. That is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. I now have the unit in hand and after discovering that I had a bad USB cable last night I am in much better shape tonight with a good replacement. I have been able to connect with my PC and am updating. Again...

I am learning a bit on how this unit sends feedback as it functions, things I have not yet read about. Like the ticking as it does it's thing. Screen goes dark, I expect a chirp but instead get a rapid fire ticking sound. Can I assume that's normal? Eventually it stops and reboots.

So the updater completes, and tells me all is well and to now install the updated files. I hit button 2 to abort the USB mode, end up at the main screen where I am told it's "INITIALIZING COMMUNICATION". With what? I guess the question now is what to do. Is this where I take everything to the truck and everything else happens once it's tethered to the main brain? I guess I assumed that I could look things over in the comfort of my easy chair, do dome settings and THEN dump them into the truck itself. Not correct?

And, perhaps the most bothersome thing is that I can't find any Nissan vehicle settings/ to load newer than 2010. In fact it keeps defaulting to the '05-'07.5 Nissan/Infinity vehicle update. I have a 2011 so I am missing something. Is this something that will also be accessed once it's hooked to the truck itself? I thought that after the Updater updated I would have a more complete menu to work with. What should I be looking for or is all revealed, again, when it's plugged into the truck?

The manual leaves these little bits out ad it's just not an intuitive thing for me so far.

2011 King Cab SV 4x4

#4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Shift_Fanatic

I had a similar issue with mine on the update side. I'll have to check and get back with you on the year range, but it's nissan/infiniti.

Once it says "initializing communication" it's looking for the OBDII connection with the truck's ECM. Following the foldout instructions that came with the tuner to "connect to your vehicle". Before connecting tho, make sure you've downloaded the latest bullydog updater, and you have the correct software on the GT for your year. Will edit this once I verify the year/model info on mine.

EDIT: Mine is showing `07-`12 Nissan/Infiniti on the boot screen. You need to download the correct binary files through the updater. It's been a while since I did mine, so I can't give you any help on that (forgot what I did to get it) but you could call their tech support number and they can send it to you and tell you how to load it on the tuner in USB mode.

Last edited by SouthGA.Pro-4x; 08-09-2013 at 09:32 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGA.Pro-4x View Post
I had a similar issue with mine on the update side. I'll have to check and get back with you on the year range, but it's nissan/infiniti.

Once it says "initializing communication" it's looking for the OBDII connection with the truck's ECM. Following the foldout instructions that came with the tuner to "connect to your vehicle". Before connecting tho, make sure you've downloaded the latest bullydog updater, and you have the correct software on the GT for your year. Will edit this once I verify the year/model info on mine.

EDIT: Mine is showing `07-`12 Nissan/Infiniti on the boot screen. You need to download the correct binary files through the updater. It's been a while since I did mine, so I can't give you any help on that (forgot what I did to get it) but you could call their tech support number and they can send it to you and tell you how to load it on the tuner in USB mode.
That is exactly what I did this evening. I received the great condition used unit earlier in the week but was having great difficulty in connecting with the PC. That aggravation turned out to be a bad USB cable on my part so I replaced it and it connected and communicated perfectly. But, because I didn't find the process all that intuitive I thought I'd give the Bully Dog tech support folks a call (940-783-9915) just to get a feel for what I was seeing, what to expect and what I should be doing. It's a good thing I did because (as they confirmed) there was no way this unit would have worked with my 2011 without the updates and vehicle specific files that they actually installed on my computer remotely for me. I would have been going nuts. They actually did a GoToMeeting takeover of my PC to get it done. Interesting and very helpful. It would have been a very frustrating weekend had I not made that call. Very pleased with their competence and service.

So, now that I have the right vehicle installed the next step is to the truck this weekend.

2011 King Cab SV 4x4

#6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,115 Posts
That's what I had to do with mine as well. Once they set you up with the 07-12 tune you're all set to take it out to the truck. MAKE SURE that your battery is fully charged (and i'd recommend having a trickle charger hooked up if possible) as the install will crash if the battery gets below a pre-determined charge state.

2014 Pro-4x CC Graphite Blue:
Radflo 2.0s w/650# springs, PRG UCAs, 285/75/16 Toyo MTs, Deaver AALs, 5125s, BDGT, Airaid Quickfit CAI, WRP crank pulley, JBA 1410s shorties, Magnaflow ss 15580, Shrock front bumper, sliders and skids, X2O 8 Comp, Factor 55 Pro Link, BTF diff cover, 20" LED bar, LED HL, map, lic, cargo and BU light conversion, 7-pin relocation, Cobra LX 29 cb

Coming soon:
New DB kit, custom rear suspension goodies from the old rig and whatever else I can't live without...

Nomad's Next Generation
Nomad's Custom BBQ Build You will be missed RIP
DB Lifts; The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Performance Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.