Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,142 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to x_mods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny-g View Post
Oh well those don't have good reviews either...aparently they're really loud? lol but they do appear to perform offroad better and do look meatier.
Yea they're loud, but that is true of any MT. Even my Duratrac's are what some would consider loud. I think the Hankook's are going to be perfect for what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniorNV View Post
Yep. I have 29K miles on them, and a lot of those are off road miles. They've got about 6/32 left. They were quiet initially but they hum now. I'd run them again if I didn't have Duratrac envy.
I've been trying to help you shake your Duratrac envy.. I even made my new sig just for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosedeath View Post
All this tire talk...I priced out tires...ugh...lol Anybody want a gently used set of BFG AT KO's in 265/70R16 to help fund new Duratracs, Coopers, or Hanooks?
Price-wise, what's the best bang for the buck? I don't care too much about road noise, as I rarely drive it for anything other than fun, and performance is paramount to everything else.
What type of performance? If you do a lot of snow/mud, then the Duratrac's. But if you don't want to drop the dough, want better MPG, or you do more desert driving, then I would say Hankook's

-Nate

Last edited by x_mods; 01-25-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#552 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,338 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_mods View Post
I've been trying to help you shake your Duratrac envy.. I even made my new sig just for you
I noticed that. As soon as I have a more, um, stable source of income I'm going to start watching for sales/rebates. At the very latest, I'll have them by the start of next winter.

Quote:
What type of performance? If you do a lot of snow/mud, then the Duratrac's. But if you don't want to drop the dough, want better MPG, or you do more desert driving, then I would say Hankook's
I'd have to agree with that. The problem with the Hankooks though is that they've gone up in price A LOT since when I bought them. They're only $20 cheaper (per tire) than the Duratracs now. They are definitely reasonable in the MPG department though, especially considering they (well, mine) are load range E. Speaking of which, they do have P-rated version that is much cheaper...but for off roading you'll want to go with the E.

And just to clarify...the only kind of snow the Hankooks don't do awesome in is deep off road snow. They do wonderfully on packed snow, slushy streets and ice. Even in the deep snow though, they aren't too bad considering the tread pattern. I've only been stuck once.

KM2's would be a great choice for a climate that never gets ice or packed snow on the streets. Probably one of the best choices for rocks/mud/deep snow. But I wouldn't run them where I live because I don't want my wheels to turn into ice skates. They are a little spendy though.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed
The Following User Says Thank You to JeniorNV For This Useful Post:
x_mods (01-26-2013)
#553 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kenny-g
x_mods truck

Yea the best tire options price wise are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Hankook Dynapro ATM (or at least in the size I am looking for they are lucky me!) but IMO the best tires are between the Goodyear Duratracs and BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2s but those are pricier (or at least in the sizes I'm looking at they are...)

Thanks for the help Jen and X_Mods, I'm still torn between the two but I have several months before i'll be ready to but tires anyways

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

LOST YETI
Bright White '13 Jeep Wrangler Sport "Lee-Roy2.0"
Rough Country Hybrid Stubby Front Bumper w/ Fog Light End Caps | LED Pods x 6 | Spiderweb Shade
285/70/R17 Falken ROcky Mountain ATS IIs on stock Rubi MOABs | Removed Rear Bumper | Rubicon Suspension
Getting married in August but a 2.5" lift is mischieviously in the works along with 35's and 4.56 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenny-g For This Useful Post:
x_mods (01-26-2013)
#554 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Goosedeath
Quote:
Yea they're loud, but that is true of any MT. Even my Duratrac's are what some would consider loud. I think the Hankook's are going to be perfect for what you want

Sadly just dirt, sand and rock performance. Occasionally a river crossing too. I wish there was more mud more often.

I think it was the Hankook dynapro ATM's had like 10 plies. That alone is a huge selling feature to me, as my BFG AT KO's have succumb to twigs in the sidewalls. Total buzz kill. Lol
Sounds like the Hankooks are the way to go for performance/price.
#555 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
Sadly just dirt, sand and rock performance. Occasionally a river crossing too. I wish there was more mud more often.

I think it was the Hankook dynapro ATM's had like 10 plies. That alone is a huge selling feature to me, as my BFG AT KO's have succumb to twigs in the sidewalls. Total buzz kill. Lol
Sounds like the Hankooks are the way to go for performance/price.
Yea, for that terrain I would go Hankook's for sure. I think my Duratracs are 5 or 7 ply? I can't remember

That is a lot like the terrain Jen drives hers on, and she be lovin them.

-Nate
#556 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Yea, for that terrain I would go Hankook's for sure. I think my Duratracs are 5 or 7 ply? I can't remember

That is a lot like the terrain Jen drives hers on, and she be lovin them.
The Dynapro MT's are looking really attractive to... Damnit. Lol
#557 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Quote:
I love how the MT look! Between the two, I would still go for the AT's with the terrain you described. But the MT's should work great too, but they might chunk on the rocks. Can't go wrong with either

-Nate
#558 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kenny-g
Quote:
Quote:
I love how the MT look! Between the two, I would still go for the AT's with the terrain you described. But the MT's should work great too, but they might chunk on the rocks. Can't go wrong with either
I'd say go with the ATM's too...the MT's look awesome and are aggressive but in the end (for the uses you described earlier) you'd save money and get better traction-more than likely-with the ATM's.

I still flop back and forth between the Cooper Discoverer AT3's and Hankook Dynapro ATM's but will probably go with the Hankooks cause in the size I am looking for they are cheaper (by a dollar per tire but that will save me some in taxes too...slightly )

LOST YETI
Bright White '13 Jeep Wrangler Sport "Lee-Roy2.0"
Rough Country Hybrid Stubby Front Bumper w/ Fog Light End Caps | LED Pods x 6 | Spiderweb Shade
285/70/R17 Falken ROcky Mountain ATS IIs on stock Rubi MOABs | Removed Rear Bumper | Rubicon Suspension
Getting married in August but a 2.5" lift is mischieviously in the works along with 35's and 4.56 gears
#559 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys! I guess tires in the 285/75R16 flavor will be the next big investment! At least my next mods will be extremely cheap, so I can keep pressing on w/ out $$ worries.
#560 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Shift_Newbie

x-mods... had to come in here and tell you this, but I just ordered some Digital Camo Wrap. and its all your fault.

any tips on applying this stuff to the tailgate?

[SpeedFreak\Photographer\Outdoorsmen/LifeLover/BluntToker]
[Instro.Mental]
The Following User Says Thank You to Taylo.Made[07] For This Useful Post:
x_mods (01-28-2013)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Build Threads > 2nd Gen Frontier Builds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.