Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Sixspeed-Sv - 2011. MT 4x4 CC

47K views 155 replies 21 participants last post by  Sixspeed-SV 
#1 · (Edited)
The Build page. The attempt to construct a daily driver trail rig that will be capable to expedition the great United States. Some minor improvements to an already capable truck that has been a blast to take into the forest.

Username: sixspeed-sv
Year: 2011
Make:Nissan
Model: Frontier
Trim: SV
Color: Avalanche
Mods:

Interior:
-communication: Cb Uniden520xl [right channel radios] truck package. Wilson antennae.
aftermarket seats - see build.
-dash cover grey

Exterior:
- right fender dimple - hollister hills - winter 2011 :censor:
-left fender contusion - healdsburg utility pole - spring 2012 :censor:

Drive train:
4.10 locked differentials front and rear - ARB air setup.
Performance gear set through Rugged Rocks - Thanks!
onboard air tank - drivers rear 1/4 panel - fits nice like.

Suspension & Tires:
-PRG Advanced kit: radflow coil over spring set, Deaver Spring Set, Bilstein Shock, Upper Control Arms (UCA).
- stock tire -Long Trail At - shredded lugs and side walls - thank you Nevada - labor day wheeling.
Rubber: 285/75/16- Les schwab house brand AT3 2nd set.

Armor:
-Hefty Fab Skid Plate package.- Belly Armor
-Hefty Fab Rock Slider with side step
-PRG rear differential Cover

Performance:
- PRG short throw shifter..

Gear and Other:
1.75 gallon x 2 frotopax fuel- see build

In Progress:

under chassis lighting

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
spent some serious coin!!! x2 for more pics

#6 ·
rear spring and shock replacement

on blocks and or stands, the installation can begin.

I chose the difficult part first - rear end change over - most time consuming from the other posts.

a sample of what is involved....

Attachments

#9 ·
the front end...

blocked and wheel less...

separating the steering knuckle is tricky - not a lot of room to swing the 12# sledge hammer - gentle taps does the job.

the left side is more involved due to the steering box and assorted pieces that are to be removed or cut the bolt and move on..

Attachments

#10 ·
continue the job at hand

checking fitment and adjustments.

The Upper Control Arm did require some attention. The inserts were questionable for fitment but, cooler heads prevailed and the assembly went well. Easy does it.

Once the UCA is fitted, the coil over placement and attachment go smoothly.

repeat for the other side..:laugh:

Attachments

#11 ·
Finish up and check alignment after the new year

finish the install. stiff steering and action on the suspension before the appointment at the shop to check our work.

road test the job. note any rubbing or tracking difference.

start to ponder the replacement tire sizes and flavors.....:comphead:

Attachments

#12 ·
Prg rocks! - camber bolts !

Thanks to Greg at prg for the camber bolts.

The first stage of the front end upgrade is finished- alignment check tuned the front end good! - Ready to wheel it!

starting to salivate for these tires : Toyo - Open Country A/T II in a 285/75R16.

they may just fit nicely and provide a good wear pattern for a couple of seasons unless School Bus Canyon beats 'em up this year. We shall see...

L8...........:hi:

#14 ·
#15 ·
Sway Bar removal.

after a month or so of mileage- the compression and deflection of the right front made odd sounds on the ride up to the driveway. something was amiss. the wheeling trip to HH last month brought it to the top of the list. I suspected there was something out of balance with the spring adjustment.

The inspection noted gut-en tight up front- possible the spring adjustment was whacked. the bump stop was in contact with the coil bucket constantly on the right side and the left was ok - a good gap.

It was recommended to Duh, remove the sway bar to allow the full expansion and compression on the new coil-over set. And voila, the gap opened up on the left side, and the spring settings are balanced at 9 & 3/4" from the top of the coil plate. Much better so far, no odd sound on the right front.

Need to field test - Wheelin in order. More winter testing and upgrades...hmmm? them tires ?

#17 ·
Interesting Coincidence.....

after a month or so of mileage- the compression and deflection of the right front made odd sounds on the ride up to the driveway. something was amiss. the wheeling trip to HH last month brought it to the top of the list. I suspected there was something out of balance with the spring adjustment.

The inspection noted gut-en tight up front- possible the spring adjustment was whacked. the bump stop was in contact with the coil bucket constantly on the right side and the left was ok - a good gap.

It was recommended to Duh, remove the sway bar to allow the full expansion and compression on the new coil-over set. And voila, the gap opened up on the left side, and the spring settings are balanced at 9 & 3/4" from the top of the coil plate. Much better so far, no odd sound on the right front.

Need to field test - Wheelin in order. More winter testing and upgrades...hmmm? them tires ?
I pulled my Sway Bar this w/e as well!!! Cant wait to see what the increase in travel feels like on the trail. With the 650lb springs I'm running, body roll has barely increased.

Frank Raines?

#18 ·
New Shoes - LT265/75R16 - Toyo At II

As Ross Perot once said ...: talk is cheap, words are plentiful but, Deeds are precious.

These tires should provide sure footing and ample traction for some off pavement excitement and pucker factor trails. I look to the next upgrade.... Hmm.

I did get the deed on these fine tires!

Wheel On!

L8 - :)

Attachments

#20 ·
Nice!

Those look GREAT!

3 Ply sidewalls?

#29 ·
They have some that are a true 3 ply construction, from what I saw you have to go up to at least a 295/75/16 to get them though and they weight 63.71 lbs each.

Source:
http://m.toyotires.com/print/tires/light-truck/full/OPATII/255259

I have them in 265/75/16, C rated, and I would be glad to buy them again. We get a pretty good amount of snow and ice here in the winter and they have performed great. They saved me from being stuck last winter when I misjudged some snow (I didn't expect to have trouble driving on an area of the parking lot that the groomer had plowed) and wound up with the entire drivers side of my truck laying frame in some powdery snow. I just popped her in 4-Lo, straightened the wheels, rocked back and forth a couple times, crawled right up and out of the snow, and made my way down from the mountain safely.

BTW, great looking truck Sixspeed-Sv!

Sent from my SCH-I535

#25 ·
Axle Vent Mod

I saw that you were having a hard time finding a metal fitting for this. I used the Toyota part when I did mine... Toyota part # 9040451026. Call your local Toyota dealer and see if they have one in stock. Even though you have a different axle than mine, this is supposed to work.

#26 ·
upgrade from plastic splash guards

the truck came with splash guards. The plastic ones were removed so they do not shear on the trail per recommendation by others. I wanted them back on but the stiff plastic would shear off so, napa auto parts and $30.00 later, I have a set of four from one mud flap. The safety blade works wonders on rubber. cheap too.

now for some field testing --- :duh:

#27 ·
the truck came with splash guards. The plastic ones were removed so they do not shear on the trail per recommendation by others. I wanted them back on but the stiff plastic would shear off so, napa auto parts and $30.00 later, I have a set of four from one mud flap. The safety blade works wonders on rubber. cheap too.

now for some field testing --- :duh:
CURIOUS....pictures?

#28 ·
Splash Guards - easy does it

.pics for the mud flaps from napa auto parts - easy does it with a razor . :goodjob:

ready fro field tests and a trim - next set should have a more polished and professional appearance ... nah. home made .........

Attachments