post #11 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Thanked 1,306 Times in 824 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The next couple of posts will get me up to date with some of the minor things I have done or have happened.

Last fall I had remote start installed. I was never fond of the range the OEM Key fob's had and I enjoy the convenience of remote start in the winter at 4am when I am leaving for work.

I'm a fairly avid Bike rider, so I installed a Rocky mounts fork mount on the front Utilitrac rail. I also picked up a second one from a forum member a few months back but haven't installed it as it is for my Wife's bike and she doesn't ride as often as I do.

And, Since I am a city guy and didn't fully trust the locking feature of the fork mount, I added two eye bolts that I can run my Kryptonite lock through If I need to leave my bike unattended. Not bullet proof, but as the saying goes, keeps the honest people honest.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Since I am NOT a fan of chrome, all the badging on the truck that was chrome got hit with the Plasti dip. The wheels also got plasti dipped as well. I haven't come across a set of aftermarket wheels that I "needed" to have, so the stockers will stay.

Don't worry about the license plate, truck doesn't wear those any more.

I've also been sitting on a 12 circuit Blue sea fuse panel and some 7" LED light bars off a forum member. I am going to split the fuse panel and make it so a couple of terminals are always hot and the rest are keyed power. I haven't decided if I want to mount it under the hood or behind the glove box. The Blue Sea is not a sealed unit, so I am a little leery of putting it under the hood due to moisture and possible corrosion issues. The Light bars are going to go in the lower grill opening.

Also added a couple of decals. I prefer the stealth look. Black decals on tinted glass.

TAGS likes this.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

post #13 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
And yes, my truck gets used as a truck.

My wife and I own a '71 Apache hard sided pop up camper that we use some times when we camp.

Grandma had her raggedy apple tree cut down, needed the wood hauled off.

One of the many reasons I prefer a CC over a KC

And yes, during my kitchen remodel was one of the few times the 5' bed was just a tad short. Took a few trips to haul out all the debris, but she handled it.

But, to this day, I am 100% happy with Nissan and my truck.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

The Following User Says Thank You to shizzy For This Useful Post:
JeniorNV (04-02-2016)

post #14 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
For the last few months I have been having a random Diff lock and VDC off light flicker. It was very random and would only happen here and there. One of the lights would flicker once or maybe twice and then I wouldn't see them for weeks. Last week they started to flicker regularly and then they came on along with the slip light and the ABS light. No codes found by my blue tooth code reader so, I had a friend clean the battery terminals and checked the wiring and connectors to the wheel sensors and on the rear diff as I still had my arm wrapped up from arm surgery. Lights stayed off for about 3-4 days but then came back on though randomly. Since I was due for an LOF and rotation, I decided to bring it in to the dealer.

As a side note, I had the LR axle replaced by the dealer under the Nissan powertrain warranty due to a leaky seal about 10K miles ago.

I get a call back from the dealer, multiple codes found and metal debris in the differential fluid. Thinking back, I did have an issue getting the locker to engage over the winter, but thought nothing of it. He told me Nissan replaces the entire assembly and does not go in and simply replace parts. He had already called my extended warranty company and they had already authorized the repair plus would pay for 2 days in a rental car. The part was in Chicago and they were going to have it overnighted but my truck would be ready the next day.

SO, I got to ride around in a beige on beige Altima. Nice car, but, not even close to what I would ever drive. Polar opposite of my truck.

The dealer called me the next day and said my rear pads were about half worn, but my rotors had some pitting so they would prefer to put new on the new axle. I figured I was getting the axle covered and it made no sense to put old brakes on a new axle. and I had replaced the front pads and rotors a few weeks ago. So, new rear differential assembly, pads, rotors, LOF, tire rotation a wash and vacuumed interior, tax included was about $500. I'd like to think I made out just fine.

Turns out, there was some noise coming from the rear end as once I picked my truck up and got on the highway, I realized how much more road noise I was hearing instead of driveline noise.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

Last edited by shizzy; 04-02-2016 at 09:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shizzy For This Useful Post:
shift_RUSH (04-02-2016)
post #15 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
That 71 Apache camper looks awesome !!!
My VDC light "flickered on/off" when I was driving slowly out of the parking lot after work yesterday.
Hope its not a sign of things to come...although I have a lifetime warranty on the drive train.

2012 Frontier Crew Cab Pro-4X, Lava Red, Lux Pkg; Radflo extended length Coilovers/650 lb coil spring, 1" coil lift spacer, SPC upper control arms, PRG AAL rear, PRG lift shackle;Bilstein 5125 2-3" lift Shocks, PRG Differential cover; Shrockworks rock sliders, rear bumper, front bumper,engine skid, Transmission skid, Leer 100XQ Cap/topper; Antec Sliding Bed Tray; Magnaflow 15580 SS Cat-Back Exhaust.
Link to my build thread "The Moose"
Click here: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f...-moose-228865/
post #16 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
It is kind of a neat little unit. it has no heater or galley, and it is old and brittle, so it's almost not worth the hassle, but I only paid a few hundred for it.

How many miles are you at and when was your fluid last changed? Have you done the rear axle vent mod? I didn't and I'm pretty sure that is part of the reason for the failure of the axle seal 10k miles ago and the metal bits now.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

post #17 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
And with that, there won't be much for progress for a while. I've got three weeks left of lifting restrictions with my right arm and as soon as that is over I'll be scheduling for the same surgery on the other arm so after that, 6 weeks of lifting restrictions.

I do have the parts for the rear axle vent mod and I'm hoping to put together a plan for the fuse panel and lights as well as figure out where i want to mount the switches.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

post #18 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage
Good news on the rear diff, nice that you were able to get that fixed with minimal stress. The new one sure is pretty.

I wouldn't worry about mounting the Blue Sea fuse block under the hood to be honest. I've had mine mounted under the hood and wired for about a year, and I do a lot of driving through deep water and adverse conditions. Never had a single issue.

"Lola" - 2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC/SB
M205 Swap, V8 Pathy axles, 33" Grabber AT2s, ARB bullbar, Warn VR8000, extended Radflos, SPC UCAs, OME MD leafs, Nisstec shackles, Bilstein 5125s, rear e-locker, ARE cap, White Knuckle sliders, Shrockworks skidplate, Hella 4000 Combo Setup, Snorkel, Indel B fridge, 175W inverter, ARB OBA
The mountains call, and I must go
post #19 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Shizzzzzzy ,
I have the axle vent mod and a PRG rear diff cover , fluid was changed when the diff cover was installed.
Hopefully my VDC light flash was a one time fluke.

As far as your plans for a lift, before I bought my "used" Radflo coilovers... my plan was to go with the TJM extended coil overs and SPC UCA's on the Nisstec website. The TJM's have rubber bushings just like the stock coilovers. The problem was I would call Nisstec every three or four weeks to check on availability for the TJM extended coilovers and they always seemed to be back ordered.

I may be able to help you with your 7" LED light bars install. My Truck has a similar LED Light set up, and I have a factory Nissan Xterra button/switch inside the cab.
Xterra Offroad Lamp Switch

Last edited by MNCarl; 04-02-2016 at 03:31 PM.
post #20 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
One of the codes the dealer found was the steering sensor angle safe code, so they may have reset that.

I'll have to look more in to the TJM's, though I'm already finding as many complaints as praises on them.

I have thought about the Xterra switch, but I'm going to end up with a few more switches, so I'm thinking of just putting in a full switch panel in the overhead console blue tooth mic location so I have a spot for all future switches.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

Nissan Frontier Forum > Build Threads > 2nd Gen Frontier Builds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.