Ham, CB and FMRS radios.
40% tint on front side windows.
Diode Dynamics LED interior lights.

Exterior:
Morimoto LED fog lights
Access plus Lite Rider tonneau cover.

Drivetrain:
M205
Front; Titan swapped with SPC upper control arms, Bilstein 1st gen Tundra 5100 shocks, 4Runner springs, custom top hats
Rear; Nisstec AAL, Bilstein 5125 shocks, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers.
Tires; 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac

Armor:

Hefty Fabworks Aluminum skid plates.
Hefty Fabworks Rock sliders.

In Progress: Things!

Realized I've been posting for almost 2 years now and no build thread.

My truck will be a slow build and will not be anything epic. There is very little land to off road in MN, so my truck is my daily driver and my hunting, fishing and camping rig. Any modifications need to make practical sense.

I bought my truck in May of '14 after driving a 2wd Ford Ranger Edge. While the Ranger was a good little truck, a regular cab 2wd did not fit my needs. She also hit 112k and the MN winters were starting to catch up to her.

I casually started trolling online ads for a truck. Wasn't buying today, just looking. I wanted a crew cab 4wd truck with no chrome. I hadn't even thought of a Frontier, but found an ad and stopped in to the dealer to check it out. '11 frontier Pro-4x, black, 39k miles and within my budget. Test drove it, loved it, needed to have it. Then I remembered I failed to tell my wife I had even gone to look at a truck. I basically just brought it home. How does the saying go? Easier to ask for forgiveness?

For some reason, the dealer had installed brand new low end all season tires on the truck.

How she sits now.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here

Last edited by shizzy; 04-21-2017 at 06:44 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shizzy For This Useful Post:
2013Pro4X (03-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Thanked 1,306 Times in 824 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For the lift, I went with some no name used coil spacers from ebay ($25) and an AAL from Nisstec. I chose to leave the overload spring in. This works for now, but I do plan to improve upon this eventually.

Also, 285/75/16 duratracs were the tire I went with.

I've swapped out the rear mud flaps for some rally armor ones (MN winters suck) and have had the front side windows tinted, but so far that is it.

She has served me wonderful for my needs. She has taken me to every campsite, hunting spot and fishing spot I have asked.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shizzy For This Useful Post:
2013Pro4X (03-31-2016), plastiktoe (07-10-2016), TAGS (04-01-2016)
post #3 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
Plans are as follows.

Suspension. Long run, I'd love to end up titan swapped with Tundra coil overs. At this point in the world, that is a want and not need.

Auxiliary lighting. Front, reverse and task lighting. I'm wanting things to be as smooth and well thought out as possible. No LED light bars tacked on all over the truck.

Armor. Would like to add proper skid plates, sliders and I have some front and rear bumper ideas that I will keep to myself for now.

Communications, CB and or Ham. Currently attempting to study for the ham license test.

Gear. Things to make camping and hunting trips better and more efficient.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

Last edited by shizzy; 03-31-2016 at 10:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shizzy For This Useful Post:
2013Pro4X (03-31-2016)

post #4 of 237 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 PM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2549 Post(s)
Thanked 10,278 Times in 5,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sub'd.

Have you considered other suspension setups? The Titan swap does have its disadvantages.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Rubicon tested 2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
post #5 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
I've thought Long and hard and am still thinking long and hard about the suspension setup.

The main issue I have with the Titan swap is the fact that it pushes the wheels out. There is LOTS of salt used on the roads here in MN and it is typically on the roads from As early as October until April. My tires already toss loads of road debris on the truck, having wheels sticking out further terrifies me (rust is a real thing up here) with the salt on the roads half the year.

The question of M205 or extended axles for the Frontier differential has it's pros and cons.

Also, once again, due to the weather up here, I do not want to run any kind of aftermarket coil over or control arms with heim joints. Tough winters and daily driver use would mean I would have to inspect far too often. This is why the titan swap with Tundra coils has peaked my interest a bit. In my application, bushings > heim joints.

In the end I would like a small increase in height if possible ( I understand the CV angle can become an issue) and I would like to increase available wheel travel as with the spacer lift I have, every time I jack the front end up I am saddened by how much down travel I have.

I also have a very real budget. I have my frontier as a project, a hot rod truck project, a café racer motorcycle project, I own and 86 year old house that is of course in constant need of attention, I'm in the middle of two arm surgeries and I'm getting in on the ground floor of a new business venture. I have a budget, but there is no room for spending where it doesn't make 100% sense and is more of a need and not as much of a want.

And, just a side note / warning, I am quite the planner / over thinker, so I do tend to think things to death. it took me three months to decide on what tire to put on my truck.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

Last edited by shizzy; 02-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.
post #6 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2549 Post(s)
Thanked 10,278 Times in 5,146 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
And, just a side note / warning, I am quite the planner / over thinker, so I do tend to think things to death.

You've seen my build thread, yeah?

The width is what I thought of when I asked the question. The down travel is awesome if you are putting the truck in situations where it is justified. But if my truck so much as looks at a mud puddle, it immediately paints its entire side with said mud.

I understand your concerns about the UCA's and the logic in your thought process.

-Jennifer

Report a bad/flaming/illegal post by clicking on

Suspension Lift Info 05+

Rubicon tested 2009 SE King Cab 4x4 6 speed

"If you don't turn and look back when walking away from your truck, then you bought the wrong truck."
The Following User Says Thank You to JeniorNV For This Useful Post:
bhowdy (04-01-2016)
post #7 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage
Hey, good to see a build thread for you, Shizzy.

What kind of hunting are you doing? My uncle is (or at least was) a chapter president of Pheasants Forever in St. Paul. My family actually owns a farm in Slayton that they use mostly for hunting. Also, I've spent a lot of time in MN. Whole family is from there, I really enjoy it there too.

Per your suspension, what's the legality of Titan swap width out there? As Soucheray says, "Minnesota is the state where absolutely nothing is allowed." Not to mention the winter salt. Have you looked at SPC UCAs? Not a single heim there. Bushings on the frame side, and a sealed, adjustable, greasable ball joint. I went that route because of the amount of dirt and water my truck sees. Food for thought.

"Lola" - 2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC/SB
M205 Swap, V8 Pathy axles, 33" Grabber AT2s, ARB bullbar, Warn VR8000, extended Radflos, SPC UCAs, OME MD leafs, Nisstec shackles, Bilstein 5125s, rear e-locker, ARE cap, White Knuckle sliders, Shrockworks skidplate, Hella 4000 Combo Setup, Snorkel, Indel B fridge, 175W inverter, ARB OBA
The mountains call, and I must go
post #8 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Garage
White tail deer. I hunt either state land (George Washington state forest) or my Uncle's property up between Effie and Togo.

The only issue I would have would be with a cop questioning my tires sticking out. But, that tends to be subjective. An inch or two wouldn't cause much issue. Also, having full mud flaps seems to keep the cops quiet. Keeping your vehicle subtle can play in too. There is no state or emissions inspections in MN, so no one is ever looking at your vehicle.

The SPC's are probably going to be the ticket for me in all honesty. Gaining a little down travel will probably be more than enough. I don't plan on a full armored front bumper (more on that idea in the future) so I see no need to change out the springs and shocks as I do like the ride the OEM bill's give me. I would probably benefit more from an ARB locker for my front diff and SPC uppers than a titan swap and an M205.

Sean,

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

post #9 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Shift_Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hey Shizzy, two years on the forum without a build thread is ok, l hope, since l do not have mine started yet,

Gonna start mine when l do a mod other than the Pathfinder switch covers.

__________________________________________________ _____

2012 - Frontier - SL - Crew Cab - 4 X 2 - OEM Leather Heated - Avalanche QM1- Rockford Fosgate - 5 speed - 4.0 - OEM body side molding - OEM auto dim rearview mirror w/ Homelink , temp & compass - Pathfinder switch covers - Husky fitted liners -

Avalanche white SB Leer Bed Cover for Sale CHEAP.
post #10 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Thanked 1,005 Times in 466 Posts
Garage
Good looking truck ..... Looking forward to following this build

Bob
2008 Nismo King Cab / V6 / 6 Speed Manual
My Build Thread

Life Is Short. Live It To The Fullest. It Has An Expiration Date

Nissan Frontier Forum > Build Threads > 2nd Gen Frontier Builds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.