LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mt.aero's '05 Crew Build

Things are starting to pick up with my build although a lot has already been done. Im going to keep this as a place to document progress from here on out.

Username: mt.aero
Year: 2005
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier SE
Trim: SE Crew 6-speed manual 4x4
Color: Storm Grey

Interior: JL audio 8" sub, Alpine amp, Alpine HU

Exterior: Alien x-xeries 30" led light bar, 30% window tint, debadged front and rear. Plasi-dipped rear bumper, AVS hood and window deflectors (not on the truck right now), Custom front grill, MB 72 17" matte black wheels

Drivetrain: Nada...yet.

Suspension & Tires: Calmini 5" kit up front, Radflo 2.0 extended length coilovers, PRG/Deaver 10pack leaf springs and lift shackles, BFG TKO 285/70-r17

Armor: Custom front bumper and skid, Calmini oil pan skid plate.

Performance: K&N cold air intake, Flowmaster 10 series muffler and custom piping, Optima yellow top

Gear and Other: Hi-Lift Jack 48" and custom utli-trac mounts. Custom all-steel recovery shovel, Fiskar's Axe, 30' recovery strap

In Progress: sliders

Future: rear bumper build and full skid build, winch

As it is now

Aux lighting before the Alien light bar

Building the front bumper

Thanks for looking!
Goosedeath and Goosedeath like this.

Last edited by mt.aero; 11-18-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I really like that bumper so far! Its like a cross between a tube pre runner bumper and a plate bumper. Looking forward to the progress

2007 KC NISMO-4X Auto Jan 2013 TOTM Desert Camping Truck Round 2
2005 KC SE Auto 4x2 Totaled, missed, loved Desert Camping Truck Round 1
Comprehensive DIY Audio Research/Install Guide
Have things you'd like to get rid of? Trade it! The Barter Thread!

Like my camping setup? Buy it! Its for sale! Here
The Following User Says Thank You to glamisdude For This Useful Post:
mt.aero (10-15-2012)
post #3 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Shift_Hardcore
Premium Member

Sick bumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2006 Frontier XE, King Cab, 4 cylinder, 5 speed

M226 Axle Swap w/ 4.56 gears/locker, Doug Thorley Long Tube Ceramic Coated Headers, 2.25" piping cat-back to Magnaflow muffler, Custom Cold Air Intake w/ Extended MAF wires, 2* Timing Advance, Exedy Clutch Kit, 16" Level 8 Strike 6 Wheels, 285/75R16 General Grabbers, CST Spindles, PRG Titan Swap w/ 2.5 Radflos w/ 500lb. Eibach springs, Steel Braided Brake Lines, Deaver AALs, Bilstein 5125s, Cobra CB, (PA & Extended speaker), 3' Firestik Antenna, 5000k 55w DDM Tuning HIDs, 3 7" 55w HIDs, BTF Built front bumper, hurst shift knob, weathertech floor liners, red underdash lighting, 35% Tint Front, and 20% visor tint.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5speed_Frontier For This Useful Post:
mt.aero (10-15-2012)
post #4 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottB1982
Wow! Great job on the bumper! I like it better than the current aftermarket selections available! Any ideas on how much it weighs? Any concern on the airflow to the radiator? Any chance you took measurements and would be willing to post them for people to take to their local fab shops? I think if you color-matched it, it would be amazing, since it looks so good unfinished as it is. Subscribing to watch for the final product.

Chat for ClubFrontier Members HERE! http://xat.com/ClubFrontier

2011 Frontier CC SV V6- CST Spindles, 2" Deavers, 5125 bils, PRG adjustable shackles, 285/75R16 BFG ATs on Vision 375 Warriors, Midland 1001LWX CB radio w/ SH2P4 external speaker and 3' Firestick, N-Fab step bars, Hypertech, AEM DryFlow drop-in filter, custom bed-mounted Hi-Lift jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottB1982 For This Useful Post:
mt.aero (10-15-2012)
post #5 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

I thought the same thing about color matching it. I was planning on going the standard black, but Ill have to seriously consider it. Anyone else think I should color match?

No concern about airflow to the rad. Its never very hot where I live and the fan is always there to help out if need be. Without the lights in the way, this bumper would provide more air access than stock. Im always watching temps and havent had problems yet... although it is fall. Havent weighed it yet either. I still need to add a few things and heaviest of all is yet to go in...the winch mounting plate. The truck has been riding high in front since I put the coilovers in, but the extra weight might help level it out.

As for measurements, I dont really have a compilation of them. I dont use CAD and am not the best at writing things down....I just remember them until I dont need to know them anymore....which means Ive forgotten them already. Its built around a Calmini lift too, so it may not look so good on a truck without one. Its a big boy.... the angled plates in front are about 12 inches tall. That, and I like having bumpers that are one-off. Any good fab guy should be able to just look at photos and be able to replicate it for the most part.

Last edited by mt.aero; 10-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mt.aero For This Useful Post:
ScottB1982 (10-17-2012)
post #6 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Shift_Fanatic
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottB1982
I'm not as worried about the size of it, as I'm lifted 4 inches, so I don't think that last inch would make a huge difference. When you get it finished up, please make sure you take plenty of pictures. I'd like something to reference to if I do end up going to a fab shop to give them ideas. I'll probably add a receiver on mine instead of a full-time winch to save weight, I want to get a hitch mounted winch so I can use it on the front or back depending on the situation. Thanks for the added info!

Chat for ClubFrontier Members HERE! http://xat.com/ClubFrontier

2011 Frontier CC SV V6- CST Spindles, 2" Deavers, 5125 bils, PRG adjustable shackles, 285/75R16 BFG ATs on Vision 375 Warriors, Midland 1001LWX CB radio w/ SH2P4 external speaker and 3' Firestick, N-Fab step bars, Hypertech, AEM DryFlow drop-in filter, custom bed-mounted Hi-Lift jack.
post #7 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

a couple photos from the build.

slotting the mounting plates. Probably my favorite machine in the shop.

I first made a cardboard mockup to make sure that what I had on the computer looked ok and to help work out any kinks in full scale. It helped a lot before I started cutting the steel.

Ill be finishing the bumper this weekend, so more pics to follow soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to mt.aero For This Useful Post:
05Fronty4x (10-18-2012)
post #8 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
DANG! I know everyone has said that's a SICK bumper, but D@MN that looks SWEET! Hahaha I like the fact it looks like a prerunner bumper, but more stout! SUBSCRIBING!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to okkomatz For This Useful Post:
mt.aero (10-18-2012)
post #9 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by okkomatz View Post
DANG! I know everyone has said that's a SICK bumper, but D@MN that looks SWEET! Hahaha I like the fact it looks like a prerunner bumper, but more stout! SUBSCRIBING!!!
Thanks! Ya know, it was really hard for me to decide what style bumper I wanted.... tube vs. plate. The morning I started, I had to make a decision and this is the one I picked. I didnt even think about how much the lines resemble a prerunner bumper, but it makes sense since I was mocking up a bunch at the same time. What really lead me to this final design was thinking a lot about the pre-existing lines on the truck and how I could mimic the grill lines in the bumper. It also had to be simple (I dont like these overly complex bumpers) and aggressive. I think I hit that mark.
post #10 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Holy sh*t that if perfect man. To be honest i am in the market for a bumper but hate everything that is offered for our trucks. I do no know a fabricator and a local 4x4 shop told me having one custom made would cost big bucks!!!

Where are you located. Any chance you would be willing to make another one of those and if so PM the specifics. I am more than interested.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Build Threads > 2nd Gen Frontier Builds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.