Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Glamisdude's Desert Camping Truck, Round 2

164K views 518 replies 81 participants last post by  glamisdude 
#1 · (Edited)
The goal of this truck is to do it all, camping, wheeling, and daily duties. None of which can significantly impact the others usage therefore I tired to take the middle ground on all tasks. This has turned out to be a great truck and does everything I ask of it, of course I keep asking for more in each category:D So it will never be "done" so to speak, think of Zeno's paradox;)
This is the sequel build of my truck as my last was totaled in a rear end collision(http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f103/glamisdude72000s-build-thread-76827/). So far this truck has been a substantial upgrade to the last one, having gained half the amount of miles, 2 model years newer, and 4x4 with a locker. This is the story of its progress, enjoy:D

Username: Glamisdude72000 (Chris)
Year: 2007
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier (Annabelle)
Trim: KC Nismo 4X
Color: Avalanche White

January 2013, April 2015 TOTM, Thanks guys!

Current Pic:

Mods:
Lower Bumper Valence and Mud Flaps Removed
Blue Sea 6 connection fuse block with ground bus under hood, battery terminal with voltage readout
Blue Sea 12 connection fuse block with ground bus mount under bed
Rear Diff Breather Extension
EVAP canister vent mod
Deck plate air box mod
Anytime E locker Mod
Trans cooler bypass with Hayden Aftermarket cooler
Camo tan accents (Foglight trim rings, plate lights, tow hooks)
Bedlined bumper step pads
Exhaust dumped just after axle
Hitch Plug Relocation

Cab Interior:
ZeroEdge front/rear dash cam replacement mirror
Magellan Touchscreen Nav
50w Inverter
Cobra 18wx ST II CB
LED dome lights
Stereo:
Kenwood Excelon KDC- x794
Alpine Type R 6 x9 coax. (front, amped)
Old school Infinity Reference 6.5 coax paper cones (Rear)
Polk db 1" Tweeters in factory dash location (amped)
Hifonics Zeus zxi 4406, 55w rms per/ch (FR Doors, tweeters)
Axxess ASWC steering wheel control adaptor
Dual amplifier 2 AWG wiring kit with power and ground distribution blocks
Switched remote turn ons for amps when power consumption matters

Exterior:
Tan Softtopper
55w HID Hella 550's in bumper mouth
KC 57 Series Spots behind grill
Kawell 18w LED Flood backup light mount to rear plate
Bed lighting, Dual 20" 15w Samsung LED light bars
Automatic under door entry lights
Custom LED Rock lights
Firestik II 4' CB antenna
Tail gate seal kit
U Haul Receiver
Nismo4X badge
Bed mounted mini toolbox for recovery gear and tie downs
Superstrut bike mounts and tie down points

Drivetrain:
Auto, 4x4 with rear e locker

Suspension:
Titan swap consisting of:
Gen 1 Tundra Bilstein 5100s (extra snap ring grooves and custom tophats) with gen 4 4Runner springs (580lb)
Total Chaos Clone uppers (FK uniballs + PRG hardware)
OEM Titan lowers
Moog HD serviceable lower ball joints
Energy Suspension polyurethane lower bj boots
Wheeler's Superbumps progressive front bumpstops
Belltech progressive rear bumpstops
PRG Tie rod extensions
Extended brake lines
Extended half shafts using OEM boots
Alignment cams
ProComp MX-6 Adjustable Monotubes
OME Dakar MD leafs (large overload removed)
Nisstec 3* billet axle shims
EZ Accessory 2" wheel spacers
Custom low rate off road rear sway bar

Overall Lift:
Front: 3"
Rear: 2.25"

Wheel Travel:
Front: 10"
Rear: TBD

Wheels and Tires:
Pro 4x Machined faced 6 spokes
Cooper Discoverer AT3's 285/75R16

Armor:
Stock Nismo Skids

Performance:
K & N Drop in
Group 34R Super Start Platinum+ AGM (Deka made)

Gear and Other:
Tow strap/ D ring shackles, Jumper cables, folding shovel, extra bolts, etc
Masterflow Tsunami Compressor (hi flow mods)
Mini hand picked tool kit
Snow Chains
California USFS Annual Adventure Pass

In Progress:
Leaf Spring mods

In the Foreseeable Future
Collapsible Bed hammock
Enjoyment!

Fixed Issues:
Timing chain guides at 56k
Fuel sender at 70k
Rebuilt transmission at 84k

Ongoing Issues:

Archive:
Gen 1 Tundra TRD Bilsteins with Tundra coils (too much lift and a bit firm)
Bilstien 5125's
Stock Frontier coilovers with 2.5" Calmini Spacer (springs sagged beyond usability)
MD TJM Extended Travel Coilovers (blew up wheeling)
Custom made roof rack powdercoated wrinkle coat black with 4 55w KC 57 series lights (2 driving, 2 spot)
Century Ultra shell with Thule Tracks, carpet kit, front boot, and passenger side windoor
Shell Interior:
Detailed Info
Quick glance:
Carpeted custom sleeping platform with storage
4" memory foam mattress
Hand made curtains
Logitech THX speakers with bullet tweeters (switched, deck power)
Switch panel for shell accessories
200w Inverter

If interested in pics of this setup see post 10 below.

Pics:

On the way home from the Dealership in Vegas (Stock):

After first Lift and Tires: just ext travel

After T Swap:

Lights:

Electrical:
Under Hood:

Under Bed:

Mods:

Wheeling!:

See less See more
#4 ·
UPGRADED. Did ya pass by Barstow and test that 4x4 out? I'm going to big bear with a couple of the xterras guys on the 27th doing rattlesnake and 3N03 get those mods done so you can come with us.

#5 ·
Sweet!

Nice looking rig and 4 wheel drive too!! Good Job....cant wait to see it evolve.

#6 ·
King Cab!! Sweet!

Much better than one of those goofy looking Crew Cabs. :)

#10 · (Edited)
When I still had the shell:( Good times, and a great setup that I miss....

Lights:

In shell:

Shell:

Wheeling:

#12 ·
Thanks Carl, And yes very much so alive and 4wd:D

Any work being done the truck is being postponed until the weekend since I was able to convince my insurance to give me until Tuesday of next week before they take the old truck.

#13 ·
Update!

Dropped the shell off at the place a bought it from to be repaired, repainted white to match the new truck, and have the passenger side window replaced with a windoor:) They assured me that I will be just as strong and look new:)

Also picked up the $15 bolt to replace the one that has to be cut out for installing the UCA's. If anyone is looking for one locally, Mossy El Cajon has 2 more left in stock.

#15 ·
Na.... It was another $100 bucks just to have the slider part, I figure the only time I open the windows is at night when I'm sleeping and even then I only have one cracked about 3in...

Also I found a deal where I can have the tires all done and switched out for like $80 bucks, and then I can sell the Rugged Trails on here/ Craigslist. What is a good price for the tires? There are brand new besides the 500miles I have put on them.

#16 ·
I sold my stock tires on craigslist for $350, but your tires are better and larger. I still wouldn't expect to get too much more than $400 though. You *MIGHT* get lucky and sell them for a bit more, but don't be surprised if they don't.

You may get lucky simply for the fact that you're in California, and I know how expensive gas (and everything else!) is. I ended up selling mine to a guy in a Tacoma that originally had 15" wheels and crappy tires on some new 16s he bought. Good luck, and can't wait to see the progress!

#17 ·
^Thats kinda what I was thinking. RangerMatt is talking about buying them from me, but if he doesn't I'll throw them on Craigslist for $450 and see if I get any takers, if not thats fine, I'm not in much of a hurry to sell them.

So this weekend will be quite full of blood sweat and tears, the plan in to do the tire presto change-o Friday afternoon, and do the UCA's, coilovers, sway bars, shackles, and rear leafs on Saturday and Sunday. RangerMatt should be able to help me out, and if were struggling to Finish, Mark (kickingtires) you may be hearing from us at some point. But hopefully by the end of the weekend the truck will be sitting pretty:)

#18 ·
Chris, I can only help on Saturday. I got two full days of the Miramar Air Show to photograph on Friday and Sunday. Saturday is wide open, so let me know. That new '07 is going to be so much nicer than the '05 was, but I'm sure there are lots of great stories being sent off to the salvage yard... ;^( What the heck, plenty of time for a new crop of great stoies...

#19 ·
Sounds good Mark, I think we should be able to get it all done on Saturday. Matt is not coming over until 3pm so if your bored and want to come by and help that's cool:) I forgot the air show was this weekend... I was hoping to take my girlfriend to that... Let me know how it is:)

I agree on the 07 being better in the long run, but I already miss my 05:( It did have quite a few good stories:) And it kills me that it will end up just being a parts donater... That truck's interior is still in better condition than my new one even... I will always remember that truck, but I'm excited to create new memories with the new one:)

Currently its up on jack stands with the all the tires removed. They are getting swapped with some beaters after work today, and the ATP's will be on the new truck by the end of the day:)

#20 ·
Sounds like everything is working out. Glad to hear it ! Enjoy your new truck and be safe !

#21 ·
UPDATE!

Got the tires swapped on Friday so the New truck has the ATP's now. If anyone wants the Rugged Trails with like 700 miles on them let me know.

First off I want to thank Mark (kickingtires) and Ranger Matt for coming over yesterday to help tackle the long list of things I needed to get done, I really don't think I could have done it with out you guys.

Yesterday the new truck got the following installed with a total labor time of 11 hours for everything: Alignment Cam Bolts, Prg UCA's, Tjm Extended Travel Coilovers, Bilstien 5125's, and OME Daker HD Leafs.

In addition the following was removed: Swaybar, end links, lower bumper valence, and all mud flaps.

We also had to put the old truck back to stock, so everything that got put on the new truck was removed from the old and replaced with the stock counterparts.

On tap for today is an alignment (so sick of getting these....), wash, wax, and I finally get to put the interior back to the way I had it on the old truck (not stereo, that's a whole weekend project).

The old truck also needs to have the rear shocks installed and then it is completely ready to be taken from me:/ so that will be happening today as well.

Pics will be up by tonight:D

#22 · (Edited)
Pics as promised:D

Starting point (Thursday):

Tire Swap (Friday):

As it sits now (Post Saturday):

Comparison against the old truck (now stock on 245-75-16):

My initial thoughts are the rear sits way to high right now, but once the shell, sleeping platform, rack, etc go back on it should level out much better but still have a slight rake. For the leafs adding so much payload I assumed they would ride like a$$ with no weight, yet they actually ride a little better than the factory setup. I know for sure I lost some height up front though with the diff and all, but depending on how it sits once all the stuff is back on I will decide what the next step is. I have not taken any measurements yet as I want everything to "get comfortable" :)

Let me know what you guys think:hi:

Edit: Forgot to say that with the new leafs the driveline no longer clunks! :D

#26 ·
Thanks, and yea Its in the to do list, but currently I'm trying to get into an apartment so thats probably going to have to wait for a while.... The fact that I'm back into a car payment is already setting me back quite a bit:( Other than getting the truck back to the way it was, I need to save money for other things:/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.