7K views 28 replies 3 participants last post by  2008 LE 
#1 · (Edited)
Username: 2008 LE
Year: 2008
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier
Trim: LE
Color: Grey
Mods: Radiator "SMOD" tran cooler bypass (replaced with new radiator)

Interior: Wireless Back up camera, Go Pro Hero camera.

Exterior: Homemade front bumper w/ 8500 lb superwinch mounted in it, rear hitch receiver and wiring, Wireless winch control, Tonno-pro lo-roll cover, bracket mounted LED lights (2x27 watt floods), Beacon light for plowing, customized bed mounted bike racks, Malone kayak racks (J-hooks), bug shield.

Drivetrain: Lokka Front Diff Autolocker

Suspension & Tires: 2.5" front lifted with Bilstein 5100's, 2" blocks in rear
Rims: Stock 17" LE
Summer tires: Michelin Latitude m/s 265/65R17's
Winter tires: BFG KO2 33's on 16" procomp 1089 polished rims

Armor: black widow offroad engine/rad skid plate

Performance: AFe Power Cat back, muffled replaced with Magnaflow 12580 (AFe was too loud for my taste)

Gear and Other: Snowbear 82" snowplow, 4000 lb utility winch, chains on front and back.

In Progress: Rest of the Skids and sliders.

See less See more
#2 ·
Started my bumper build finally. Started out with this design in CAD, then picked up some metal and started cutting. The longest part for me was figured out where to put the winch that I could keep as much approach angle as possible. Had to notch out the upper valance a bit to make a hole to use the clutch lever and also had to move the solenoid box as it was way too high. Now that I have it figured it and the sides of the winch cradle made the rest should go fairly smoothly. I picked up a dry cut metal saw, it really made chopping the 30 deg angle a breeze. Also converted my badsaw to metal cutting for now, have been impressed by how straight the cuts have been on that too.

Attachments

#6 ·
finished up all the sides and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Ran out of welding wire though have to pick more up and finish up along some of the seams, then get the tube part made up. Still have nt decided if I will try to find someone to bend it for me or if I will just cut it and weld the angles I want.

Attachments

#7 ·
Fully welded and ground down all the seams, and cut out the clevis mount wideners. Hoping it did nt contract any while welding, I tried to keep it even and not stick to a seam too long, but I am new at this hah. Decided to make the skid plate bolt on it will make removing the winch easier, and also will make it so that the bumper is a breeze to take off. Will post some pics tomorrow.

#8 ·
Looks good. Curious how you converted your bandsaw to metal cutting.The wood working saws are too fast.Were you able to slow it down?

#10 · (Edited)

Yeah the bandsaw I have has about a 4 in drive wheel directly off the motor shaft. Take the wheel off and run a bigger belt on the shaft and it slows it down to metal cutting speeds (I can't remember exact specs but something like 500 fpm to 220 ish). It's been great so far.

#9 ·
Are you using a flux core welder?

#18 ·
Started measurements for some sliders, I will steal another members idea to use just a square piece for a rail then a round tube outer rail with them connected at an angle so then there is no need for bending, its tough to not use this as an excuse to buy a bender and notching kit though I will admit.

#19 ·

Got some bilstein 5125's tried to install but the bolts were super seized I had a 24" breaker bar on it and it was flexing 5 inches or so...called a local shop for a quote and they said 50 buck so I was sold. Have them installing Tuesday.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#21 ·
#24 ·
Had the shop up the road install bilstein 5125's 2-4" variant. Bought them used from a member here and installed them the same way they were already setup boot up. Doesn't seem to matter much on these from what I could find but can switch them later if corrosion gets too bad.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#26 ·

Chopped up some 3/16" rubber to make a valance over the winch clutch lever.....not sure if I like it or not I think I will put it on though as it will help reduce how much slush gets in there in the winter if nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.