Nissan Frontier Forum banner

My '99 Frontier

99K views 229 replies 51 participants last post by  Blanco. Customs 
#1 · (Edited)
Check the last page for updates!

Hey guys figured I'd post up some pics of my '99

I absolutely love this truck, it runs great and gets around awesome. I bought it with 170,xxx miles on it. It has had the timing belt replaced once. I am very impressed with this little truck and hope to keep it.

When I first picked it up:

Changed the fluids and got rid of crappy battery hold down somebody rigged up.

I liked the rack the truck came with but it was beat up and had some surface rust on it. I also didnt like how high the bars went. So I chopped them off and boxed them in.

Then stripped the rack down to metal as well as the toolbox, the hit them with some truck bed coating.

The stock wheels were nice but a little beat up, some enamel and they are trasformed.

Silverstar Ultras

I picked up an Aries grill guard locally for pretty cheap.

I wanted to add a better anchor for recovery so I made some shackle mounts

Also made a gun rack for the back.

Nissan stopped making shifter bushings for my truck so I used one from a 240SX.

Didnt like the silver grill guard so I had it powdercoated black. Also added fog lights and LED parking lights.

And doing a little of what I bought the truck for.

Working on a skid plate for the oil pan area.

Also did sway bar end links and ball joints. My plan is to do the timing belt again, put my toyo open country 31x10.5x15's on it and do an intake and exhaust.

See less See more
#2 ·
sweet. looks like you're having fun tinkering with your new truck. scenery looks awesome.
you're coming up on another timing belt change at 200,000 miles.

#9 ·
Wow, awesome post! I love seeing trucks out in their natural habitat.

#10 ·
Thanks a lot guys! The bed rails are pretty handy, and the toolbox makes it easy to store supplies and gear.

Picked up these Toyo Open Country's used for pretty cheap. Mounted one up and it was tight but fit nicely, debating whether or not to throw them on!

#11 ·
hey how is the bedliner on the tool box holding up? and what kind did you use and what did you do to prep surface? sorry for all the questions but im having a heck of a time find a black tool box. and did you spray the wheels? i dont know anything about enamel paint.

#12 ·
I used DupliColor tuck bed coating on the bed rails, and DupliColor Bed Armor on the tool box. In my opinion the orginial duplicolor spays better and lays more even than the bed armor, but its more coarse when it dries. The bed armor dries very nicely as well it can just clog up and run easily.

For the wheels I simply used Duplicolor Engine Enemal.

I stripped the box and rails down to bare metal and scuffed them with red scotch brite, then cleaned them with prep all, then painted.

The wheels I used red scotch brite(took forever) and prep all then painted.

#24 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Grille

So clean, I just picked up this identical truck with only 58k but the underbody is a lot more rusted, nice build.... pictures in the mountains are amazing

#27 ·
Purdy cool so far.

... but, turn the heat up on that welder !

Yeah I saw those but didn't want to get into it initially. Since you opened the can........

Looks like they were made with a 110v welder running self shield flux core. In other words it was probably maxed out. And what is that? 1/4" and 5/8 or 3/4"? On a 110v you are out of your league with that thick a material. Didn't even bother to weld the top and bottom??

I know I'll probably hear "well it didn't break when I hit it with a hammer" or "well it has worked so far". Great, good for you. But, I would never try to pull you out or let you pull me out with those. I like my windshield/life too much.

#29 ·
Maybe, if the edges of that fat pice where bevled(?) ... kinda like this ...
Good try but wont do much if you have a "T joint" like what he did with his recovery thingamajigs. With a T you assentially have a V already so to bevel it will do nothing for you.

The big issue is a 110v just doesn't have the stones needed to weld, arguably, even 1/4 inch.

About the only thing you can do to help is heat the metal up to damn near red hot and then weld it.

#33 ·
If that was with a 220 then hand it to some one who knows what they're doing!

I like that picture. I actually cut it out on one of those "Plasma cutter on a frame controlled by a computer with a CAD program." or whatever you call it, LOL.
2 and a half feet of steel, custom cut just for you

I will say something nice. Your scenic photos are very awesome. BTW I wasn't trying to be a dick with anything i said. Sorry you took so much offense to it.

#35 ·
If that was with a 220 then hand it to some one who knows what they're doing!

I like that picture. I actually cut it out on one of those "Plasma cutter on a frame controlled by a computer with a CAD program." or whatever you call it, LOL.
2 and a half feet of steel, custom cut just for you
:laugh: that was very very very well done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.