LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Shift_Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyMcNasty View Post
Sorry to jack OP post. But how much did all the new stuff run you if you do not mind me asking? It was relatively cheap for my Hemi and that was 16 plugs. I found a whole tune up kit on rockauto for like $111.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...nid=458&jpid=0
ya that's what I payed. When I did mine I used the same plugs and wire set and it was about $50 for the wires and another $40 for the plugs. The distributor cap costs $19 and rotor is $8. I got all my parts off Amazon because free 2nd shipping and I don't like to wait on stuff.

Like to change everything out takes less time then it took to get the boot of plug 6. Still it only took half hour to do, less if I wasn’t playing on my phone. And a side note for both of you, if your replacing plugs and wires get a razor blade and just cut the boot off the old plug.
FroggyMcNasty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I am really looking forward to the fabled spark plug #6, should be a good o'l time. Thorn and I are very similar! I shop on Amazon too for the fast shipping. I am looking at $47 for the plugs, $50 for the wires. I wasn't going to do the distributor cap and rotor but if it's worth it it isn't terribly expensive and won't add much time to the whole process. Any recommendations for the rotor and distributor cap? Or just OEM?

Last edited by ctrcic; 01-04-2016 at 07:55 PM.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Shift_Newbie

Do the Distributor Cap and rotor, its worth it! Its only 3 screws and wont really add any time. I did mine at 150k ish and after looking at how warn out the inside was compared to a new one I cant believe the truck still got a spark. The bosch one is oem that came on the truck if I remember correctly but I put a Beck Arnley because it was cheaper and still working fine after 20k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Awesome, I was looking at Beck Arnley on Amazon. Cheap and has good reviews for our trucks. Looks like I am doing the distributor cap and rotor too! I have almost utter confidence they have never been done on my truck and I am at 196,000+ miles.
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Thanked 1,469 Times in 899 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrcic View Post
Took another trip in AZ over the break! This time it was back home in Sedona. We drove out to Devil's Bridge and hiked up to it then we drove around the ride Greasy Spoon which is a Pink Jeep Trail that put the truck through a few fun tests. I still did both of these stock with only large tires and a torsion bar crank but managed them fine. The Pink Jeep driver in front of us was fairly surprised I was keeping up with him. It was a fun trip that only took us about 4 hours including the hike the Devil's Bridge. There are some vids on Photobucket.

Link to Photobucket Album: Devils Bridge And Greasy Spoon by coltontrcic | Photobucket

Devil's Bridge is pretty incredible if you've never been!

Had to take a new truck pic.

The first part of Greasy Spoon was pretty easy.

It soon turned into a series of moderately difficult rocky hills.

My girlfriend was kind enough to get out and take photos and videos. You can see the rest of the trail off to the left.

This was coming up the last hill towards a scenic lookout.

We caught up with the Pink Jeep Tour at the top.

Panorama from the scenic overlook.
Truck looks great. I'm always impressed at how good almost all trucks look with just an extra inch or two of height and one size up on tires.

The other Sean, Formerly know as shizzy.

2011 Pro-4X CC
Overland bound #2292

See my 2011 Pro-4x build here
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrcic View Post
Awesome, I was looking at Beck Arnley on Amazon. Cheap and has good reviews for our trucks. Looks like I am doing the distributor cap and rotor too! I have almost utter confidence they have never been done on my truck and I am at 196,000+ miles.
Ya it will probably need it, I did my spark plugs and then a week later did the wires cap and rotor. I didn't notice much of difference when I did the plugs but the electrode in the old ones were non existent. After the rotor, cap and wires the truck drove like new again.
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzy View Post
Truck looks great. I'm always impressed at how good almost all trucks look with just an extra inch or two of height and one size up on tires.
Thanks! It performs much better with the new tires too. I won't be doing more than a 3" lift when I lift it so hopefully my tires won't look small under there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthorn View Post
Ya it will probably need it, I did my spark plugs and then a week later did the wires cap and rotor. I didn't notice much of difference when I did the plugs but the electrode in the old ones were non existent. After the rotor, cap and wires the truck drove like new again.
I ordered everything from Amazon last night so hopefully it gets here soon. They were out of stock on the Volant so I don't know when I'll get that but everything else should be here next week!
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Round 3 of Mods/Repairs: New Distributor Cap, New Ignition Rotor, New Spark Plug Wires, New Spark Plugs, New Y-Pipe, and Secondary Cat Delete.

So the spark plugs and wires were a blast. I used NGK Wires, NGK Iridium IX Plugs, and a Beck Arnley Ignition Rotor and Distributor Cap. I took the hood off to get a better angle on #6 and I found it to be pretty easy with a second set of hands. I also replaced the ignition rotor and the distributor cap in almost no time at all and am very glad I didn't skip them, my truck idles blissfully now and runs like new.

Here are some pics:

Did a tune up for the truck and my laptop in the same weekend

Taking the hood off made Spark Plug #6 way easier

All the old junk

Everything all in place

I also did a secondary cat delete using Walker Pipes #53345 and #54338 and replaced my Y-Pipe with a Walker Pipe #50350. This was a massive pain in the butt. Nearly all the bolts down there were rusted beyond liquid wrench's capabilities and the Down Stream 02 Sensors were the worst of the lot. I ended up using a Dremel to cut the stuck bolts and a Sawzall to cut the old cats out. I also had to wire in new Bosch Universal 02 Sensors (an unexpected $110 expense) and they have been working fine with no check engine lights. Here are some more pics:

New pipes came quickly from Amazon

Old Secondary Cats

Driver's Side

Passenger's Side

Driver's side Y-Pipe connection

Passenger's side Y-Pipe connection

Nice new shiny Y-Pipe

I did notice some more throttle response after doing all of this. There is also a much better sound from my Gibson Exhaust now too (I will post videos). I also seem to have gained back about 1.5mpgs during the whole process. For the first time since I bought the truck I am getting 17+ average combined mpgs without any change to my driving habits or commute.

I also order a Volant CAI for my truck but it was out of stock and still hasn't shipped. I'll post more once that comes.

Last edited by ctrcic; 01-25-2016 at 10:58 PM.
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Here is the exhaust sound before the cat delete, basically just my Gibson.
Attached Files
File Type: avi 2004 Nissan Frontier - Gibson Exhaust - Before Secondary Cat Delete.avi (3.43 MB, 53 views)
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Shift_Newbie

Here is the exhaust sound after the cat delete. You can really here the Gibson now.
Attached Files
File Type: avi 2004 Nissan Frontier - Gibson Exhaust - After Secondary Cat Delete.avi (2.45 MB, 55 views)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Build Threads > 1st Gen Frontier Builds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.