Nissan Frontier Forum banner

White Rhino Back!

12K views 53 replies 13 participants last post by  Rootsoup_72 
#1 ·
Just got this email from Chris Brown at White Rhino:

Chris Brown chris.brown@whiterhinofab.com 10:19 PM (24 minutes ago)

Yes we have started making them again. My website isn't up and running 100% but if you want to order one send me your name and address and I'll email you a invoice.

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 9:07 PM
> Message:Are you still making the lightbar for the Nissan Frontier?

#4 · (Edited)
Hey guys just an FYI on these light bars. I ordered one and it seems the tabs are too short for a one piece bumper. I did see that someone on here sent in new measurements for a one piece bumper set up. I didn't get the longer tab set up. I'm emailing Chris as I'm posting this. News to follow.

#5 ·
I received mine a couple days ago but haven't had a chance to check the fitment yet. I'm in the same boat - one-piece bumper, so I'll try fitting it later tonight to see if my bar is the same way.

#7 ·
So I went home for lunch and did a quick test fit (basically hold it where it's supposed to be and look at what lines up) to see what's going on... and I might have short tabs also. I'm going to stop by the store after work to pick up some mounting hardware, I'm going to try to temporarily mount the bar using the forward 3 bumper holes (the holes that match up to the slots in the light bar) and I'll take some pics to see where we're at. I'll post an update later tonight once I get a chance to test fitment more.

#8 · (Edited)
UPDATE: First off I'd like to state that I really like the bar design and this post isn't a knock on Chris' work at all - I just think something was off with the measurements used to craft the bar. That said - the bar I received seems short also. When I line up the bar so that the two inner tabs can be mounted onto the radiator supports with BOTH holes, the hoop is touching the bumper and the light mounting holes are partially underneath the bumper cover, rendering them useless. When I position the hoop with enough room for the light brackets, the hoop sits about 1/4" away from the bumper cover; however, only one hole on the inner tab is usable, the second hole sits on the curve of the radiator support. Also, only the center slot lines up correctly for mounting to the underside of the bumper support - the outer two slots don't go deep enough for the outer bolts to grab.

Here's pics I took showing what I just described (click for larger view):

Left side mounting tab: note how the tab is short and the forward hole doesn't line up right for me to drill a mounting hole:

Right side mounting tab: note how the tab is short and the forward hole doesn't line up right for me to drill a mounting hole either:

Left and right side mounting bolts (from underneath up to the bumper support): there's not enough material to allow the bolts to hold properly:

Front view, light mounting area: The 3 larger holes are partially tucked underneath the bumper, and the mounting holes are too close to the bumper cover. I have slip PIAAs ready to install but with the bar positioned as shown (same position in all photos) the mounting bracket position leaves no room for the PIAA lamps to attach to the brackets.

EDIT: Adding the measurements of the bar pictured above; please note that the bar above is not made wrong, but it is for a different model year Frontier (just a reminder, I have a 2014 with the one-piece bumper). The measurements of the bar pictured above is as follows:

Radiator support bracket length is 8-5/8”:

The top plate width is 3-5/8” at the center, 2-5/8” at the side slots:

#9 ·
This is what I got from Chris...My first question to him is the bottom email, his response is the top. I might send this back and go for broke with a shrock, arb or something of that nature. Just makes me sick spending that kind of dough on a bar that I can't use.

Trevor,

I'm not sure why but some trucks have something for the brackets to mount to and some don't. I honestly can't tell you why that is. However, the tabs aren't really even needed. The very first light bar I ever made for that truck had the lights mounted at the top of the tube so to keep them from bouncing all the time I added those tabs. Now that all the lights mount under the bar the tabs aren't even needed any more. I just continue to add them in case there is a bracket that they will touch.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Chris

On Sep 22, 2015, at 8:16 AM, Trevor H Willkomm <rabbitology@yahoo.com> wrote:

Chris,

I purchased the light bar and went to install it. The tabs on the bar seem a little short for my truck. I was under the impression that nothing has changed since 2005 except colors and interior stuff. I do have 2014 Pro 4X with a one piece bumper. Any instruction on this would be helpful.

Thanks,

Trevor

#10 ·
I have the one piece bumper as well, which I mentioned to him when I ordered by Bar.

I will check mine tonight, I also have not test fit it yet.

raginrabbit80, it doesn't seem as if he understood which tabs you were talking about. Are you talking about the main tabs that bolt to the rad support?

raine, any response?

If mine is short as well, I may just have a local guy cut the tabs off and weld on longer ones?

#11 · (Edited)
Raine,

If you look at the pictures above. The one piece bumper requires the flat plate to be about an inch deeper. The bar sits flush against the bumper so there isn't enough room to mount some lights. I'm sending mine back. Waiting for Chris to send a UPS label. I'm also going with a Hefty full bumper. I like the simplicity of the Rhino light bar but it's too much money and headache for me in the end. I'll be unsatisfied anyway. Eventually I want a winch too...

Chris also told me the radiator support brackets aren't really needed. I would still utilize them for extra support. When I gave him the measurements he stated that he'd sent the wrong bar. He has 3 different models.

#20 · (Edited)
New bar arrived last Friday as expected, took measurements and did a test fit over the weekend and everything seems to be correct now. The new bar radiator support bracket length is 9-1/2” (old bar was 8-5/8") and new bar top plate width is 4-1/2” (old bar was 3-5/8") at the center::

The larger dimensions made the bar fit correctly for my 2014 model year. You can definitely see the length difference when I placed the old (incorrect) and the new (correct) bar side by side. The three slots on the main plate line up perfectly with the lower bumper holes, and the brackets now reach all the way in to allow for mounting with two 3/4" bolts and locknuts. Here's a photo of the length difference and a photo of how far the brackets reach inward now (ignore the angled bolt heads; the bolts are slightly smaller than the bolt holes and don't have a nut holding them in the correct position yet):

And a couple of test fitment pics (woohoo!):

Right now I'm driving around with the bar and its bare surface - I installed the lights just in time for an evening road trip on Sunday (took advantage of the back roads to get the light aim right) and I did not notice the PIAA lights bouncing - meaning the bar is solid... So solid that once I bolted the bar in (I used three 1/4" bolts under the front bumper, and a pair if 3/8" bolts on each of the side brackets, all grade 8 hardware) I could grab the hoop and literally move the front end of my truck up and down.

So after all was said and done, everything turned out as expected. Now I just have to find time (probably this weekend) to sand off the surface to prep for paint.

#23 · (Edited)
I just ordered the bar in time for xmas. Really like the PIAA's in there. I was wondering where you mounted the switch on the inside, i wanted to do the xterra switch mod, but i dont have any more slots in the 15 pro-4x available, and i didnt really want to cut one in either. Just curious

#22 ·
Have been trying to get a hold of Chris for several days, for those of you that have dealt with him, is he typically hard to reach? Really want to buy a light bar and have missed out several times!
I think i mentioned this earlier... I shoot him an email instead of trying to call, I usually get a response 24 hours later

#25 ·
On the pro-4x luxury, i have all 5 switches in the center used, plus the 2 on the left side, so i dont have any more openings. Im thinking about removing the sonar switch, and figuring out how to bypass it to off, then using the opening to to do the downhill assist move, then putting the off road light in the left side opening. Any chance you have a writeup on how to install the bar? i didnt see a downloadable PDF for installation for the WRF lightbar, and this is where i usually go to see how it is done correctly. I can do it myself, i think, but i feel better when there is picture and a description to read prior.

#28 ·
165 and free shipping

#29 ·
Some of you may think I'm a jerk for this, but it's bugging me to no end.
I like the look and style of this bar, but the overall quality just isn't there for the money. The flat plates look like they're cut by hand and have scale on them.
Most importantly are the poor quality welds. I can plainly see porosity and lack of penitration on both the support brackets and in the welds that attach the hoop to the plate.
These are not worth the money.

Sorry to be negative, but why spend hard earned money on something so lacking in quality.

#32 ·
Ok cool, can you make me a light bar that's not hand cut, that doesn't have scale, no porosity and excellent "penetration" that's also bolt-on to replace the White Rhino one I have now?

#37 ·
I don't have the time to wait for you. Hahaha ::grin::

Besides, $165 shipped is fine for a light bar that bolts on... Thats fine with me. It's not armor or a true bumper bar, it's just a hoop and a mount for lights and that's all I needed it for.

#40 ·
http://ssdperformance.blogspot.com/

I used their stuff on a previous vehicle I owned. It was always great stuff and they have top notch customer service. I talked to them about doing a light bar for the Frontier and they said they would but needed someone in their area to let them use their truck to do the prototyping. I made a post about it a while ago but no one stepped up to do it unfortunately.

#41 ·
SSD Performance

I used their stuff on a previous vehicle I owned. It was always great stuff and they have top notch customer service. I talked to them about doing a light bar for the Frontier and they said they would but needed someone in their area to let them use their truck to do the prototyping. I made a post about it a while ago but no one stepped up to do it unfortunately.
I think I remember that post... I don't think it failed because of "a lack of people willing to step up"; I think it was more like "none of us live near that SSD place" to be able to volunteer.

#44 ·
Got my white rhino light bar bar installed and painted up. Looks good, wont move anywhere.

#45 ·
Here is the installed pics

Attachments

#46 ·
Wish I had done a profit sharing agreement years ago when I drove up to his shop late one night and helped design the prototype. He initially was going to build just a tab that came out to mount lights to. I made a couple trips to his shops to have him make modifications to the original design to make it sturdier, etc... this was probably 8 years ago.

#47 ·
Cadd drawing isn't quite right, but I made it work well

#48 ·
So just curious, I see there is only one option for this item on their website (White Rhino Fabrication's Online Store)... do we have to specify which bumper we have when ordering this or has it been standardised to the correct pattern?

I am planning to order this pretty soon here and want to be sure I get the right one for the one piece bumper.

Also would like to see some current pics of your bars now that they are a year or 2 old. How have they stood up?

#49 ·
Make sure you specify the model year of your truck and if it has a metal or one-piece plastic bumper.

I've had mine since October of 2015, still looks good. Then again, I painted mine myself LOL

#50 ·
mine is also installed since 2015, really love it. installation is a bit squemish if you care about your radiator supports. i live in upstate NY, i have ss hardware to prevent the hardware from rusting.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.