Nissan Frontier Forum banner

What has prevented you from buying a snorkel in the past? (Select all that apply)

Snorkel Opinion Poll

7K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  whistler 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Frontier enthusiasts,

I've been considering taking on a new professional endeavor and was hoping to get some market information from those who participate on this forum. Recently, I've been experimenting with water crossings in my Frontier and had the misfortune of hydro-locking in the middle of a rather large puddle. Luckily, we were able to save the engine and get back home in one piece-This got me looking into purchasing a snorkel set up of some kind. I was rather disappointed by the market offerings, and surprised at the dollar amount these distributors are able to demand for such a simple device.

To shorten the story- I think we deserve some options. After several prototypes and much deliberation, I've come up with a device that I think will drastically lower the production expense of manufacturing such a product. I was hoping to get some opinions of those who have either purchased a snorkel in the past or have considered one but not made the jump yet. My goal is to determine what the market is looking for (you guys) and make the moves necessary to have these in production before all the big summer events this year. I will keep this post updated as things progress or dissipate.

Don't worry, admins- I'll request proper approval and set up if and when this turns into an actual product.

Thank you all! I am posting this survey on multiple forums to see if I can garner some interest, such as Expedition Portal and American Adventurist. If you have any suggestions as to where this would be an appropriate topic- please let me know in the comments.

Appreciate it!

Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
i have a lot more to add.
but short answer, once you have enough water to reach your intake. you have a lot more issues that just protecting your air going into your motor. at that point a salvage title would be issued by any insurance company.

everything electronic is open to failure at this point.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for checking in, JC!
Since you're local- once I have the prototype manufactured, want to check it out and maybe guinea pig this thing for me?

I understand that this won't fix everything- I took a deep dive on the corner. There's obviously a market for snorkels at some level, I'm just asking if anything specific is holding anyone back.

Not trying to turn anyone's truck into a submarine- but appreciate the concern ::grin::

#4 ·
You will find many more snorkels on Xterras than on Frontiers. If you want to make money with this go over to the X board and sell something in the 200 to 250 range if you can.

#5 ·
I here ya! I was out with an Xterra group this weekend which is what got me thinking. I posted on thenewx.org and seem to be getting better feedback. My plan is for it to by almost universal, so I'm gonna post on some more offroad-oriented pages. I think that price point is easily achievable, still working out some numbers. Thanks for the input!

#7 ·
The part that wraps around the roof is interesting- but seems a little extreme? Is the roof height intake really necessary? My main reason for wanting an intake was to get the opening out of the wheel well and above the hood. I don't know if the functionality really increases by having the extra two feet of plastic pipe it's gotta go through. Sidenote- does that not suck water/rain off the windshield?

#8 ·
It may, possibly, suck water. Maybe if there was a gap between the roofline and the actual scoop, so the water could slough off over the roof but the air current would strike the scoop squarely.

I think the idea of height is twofold (both of which I agree with): low profile, and above the dust line (though the latter is up for debate).

For me, I consider field of vision to be prime real estate. My rearview mirror and frit already takes up more than I would like. Having that big scoop right below eye level and blocking even a tiny bit of my FOV is unacceptable. That's one reason I'd want that extra two feet.

Water is something to consider with any intake. If you have the giant scoop thing that is popular on most snorkels, what's to keep rain from just blowing in there when you're driving down the freeway? You're original intake point is more protected from rain than anything outside the body, I would think. Though, I worry about a good splash making it's way up in there, so river crossings are a flowing panic attack for me.

For one like the Roca Silva, I'd want to see that scoop be able to rotate on its access so it could point forward or backwards, much like other snorkels, but not something you could do with a snorkel mounted half way up the windshield. That would eliminate at least some of your rain problems.

Now, if you really want to have a WATERPROOF intake, check out some of the Top Truck Challenge vehicles and put your intake INSIDE your cab. Completely waterproof unless your cab fills with water. In which case I'd think you'd have bigger problems.
>:D

Lastly, I think the snorkels that are usually on our trucks are just... ugly... No offense to anyone who has one. The function is pretty well mastered, now we just need a bada$$ form to go with it. I think the Roca is half way there, and would be awesome if the bottom half didn't look like a swirl of poo, and the price like where it came from.

Side note: I volunteer as guinea pig if you need one! A not ugly/impractical snorkel is definitely on my wish list.

#16 ·
Water is something to consider with any intake. If you have the giant scoop thing that is popular on most snorkels, what's to keep rain from just blowing in there when you're driving down the freeway?

I wondered the same thing before putting a snorkel on my last rig before I saw how the head works.

The reason they are so high is because the primary (IMO) reason to run one is for cleaner dust free air on the trail not water crossings. At least on my last rig that was the biggest benefit from having one.

#9 ·
Interesting idea! I think if you could make something that was fairly inexpensive and was kind of a cross between the Safari and TJM options (I really love the intake on the TJM but I dislike how the lower portion goes so far forward), you'd have a winner. I'd buy it!

#11 ·
I actually hadn't stumbled into the TJM option- that's probably one of my favorites. It seems about as low profile as they come- the one I found didn't take up half the fender like other ones do- kind of a fan.

When you get something made, if you need a guinea pig, let me know.

It's cold and salty up here, so it's a full blown torture test for plastic.
I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully I can get something going before it warms up too much.

Thanks for the opinions, guys! If you have pics of the best options you've found so far, posting them in here would be a huge resource.

Thanks- Rob

#13 ·
Excellent, thanks for the visual reference! The first choice is definitely my favorite, though I wonder if the drastic directional change chokes the system at all. That's the most low profile design I have seen yet other than mine.

As luck would have it, an engineer from thenewx.org that pulled me out of that puddle I referenced is now on board to give some pointers on design choices.
Should get interesting!

#15 ·
I think just matching the body lines of the vehicle would go a long way to making them more aestetically pleasing. All the ones I've seen seem to have a geometry that is just far enough off from the vehicle's geometry to make them look off. Like the circle on the Roca and the hood/window line on the OEM and Safari ones.

#21 ·
Gosh I been looking at a snorkel on my four banger, but there are no options for it.
But when you look at the V6 and the I4 they share the same location were the intake tube goes.
Want it more for looks but as a cold air intake.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#24 ·
At that price, there's not much to lose except having to drill into the fender. The snorkel for my Jeep XK was like $500 new from airflow. I was lucky enough to get it used, but it's really just a if piece a plastic so I don't think brand should change too much.

#32 ·
We learned the importance of a snorkel after my buddy hydro-locked the engine in his Tacoma in a mud hole and destroyed the engine....it locked up so bad that we couldn't even turn it over manually back at camp. Had to rent a U-haul trailer and tow it 250 miles to get it home. Not good.

Having said that...watching him use a hole saw on the fender of his truck made me cringe. So I voted for "mounting requirements". There is simply no way I'm drilling a 3" hole in the side of my $26K truck. I'll just avoid deep water before I do that.

Reactions: Grendel
#33 ·
The real reason I don't have or want a snorkel is because they are designed to allow your vehicle to traverse deep water without hydrolocking your engine. I don't drive my truck in deep water so I don't want or need one.

#36 ·
I have no problem with cutting holes.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.