Side step rails / bars - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Shift_Newbie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Side step rails / bars

Hey all,

Looking for recommendations for a set of side steps or bars to fit a 2009 King Cab. I suppose there are probably dozens of these on the market, so looking for what others here have used.

I'm not looking for a step like the Nissan ones that don't have a gap between the step and the truck---in the winter snow and road salt thrown by the front tires pile up on top of the step and become a rusting hazard for the front area of the body. I figure the bar-type of steps will reduce or eliminate this.

Not used for heavy off-road, so it need not be super-strong. A no-weld / no-drill installation would be preferred. Just looking to be able to stand on it, or have it be sacrificial (instead of the truck) if I bump a log, big rock, or some stupid kid

A durable black finish would be preferred to chrome.

Recommended products?

Thanks,

KDJ | Ontario, Canada
2009 King Cab SE 4x4 manual | Bone stock + Line-X box liner + factory foglights
Lone Leaf Photography Website | ModelMayhem | Facebook

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned
Shift_Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to t2stone
Smile

Hi! Well, when I went looking for my "step-bars".....I was directed to a site
U.W.S. no...not the weapons dudes either..although at times I do wish that
my step bars were guided rocket launchers (^:

I ended up going O.E.M. and I happy I did!

hope this helps!

T.C.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave Send a message via Yahoo to Irongrave
1. good steps mount the same way the OEM nissan ones do so they all have a rust issue though with mud flaps I didn't have a lot of snow build up on my Westins

2. a step bar will NOT be sacrificial if you hit a log or rock they will mangle bend and damage the body as there is very little strength to the metal with that type of hit.

The Nissan got wrecked did the jeep thing now messing with a turbo Subaru and 960 sqft of shop space
#4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Shift_Obsessed
Lifetime Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^ I second that. Just bent mine over the weekend cresting the ground a bit. Wife was not too happy because it was her side. Excuse for sliders now.

I work because somebody has to pay for all the lifelong welfare entitlements. Redistributionomics 101
#5 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightDeck View Post
Hey all,

Looking for recommendations for a set of side steps or bars to fit a 2009 King Cab. I suppose there are probably dozens of these on the market, so looking for what others here have used.

I'm not looking for a step like the Nissan ones that don't have a gap between the step and the truck---in the winter snow and road salt thrown by the front tires pile up on top of the step and become a rusting hazard for the front area of the body. I figure the bar-type of steps will reduce or eliminate this.

Not used for heavy off-road, so it need not be super-strong. A no-weld / no-drill installation would be preferred. Just looking to be able to stand on it, or have it be sacrificial (instead of the truck) if I bump a log, big rock, or some stupid kid

A durable black finish would be preferred to chrome.

Recommended products?

Thanks,
The factory ones do have a gap between the rocker and the steps. The only place I would get buildup was on the brackets in real heavy snow. They are good for stepping on, but that's about it.

GONE THANKS TO MY NOW EX-WIFE

08 Avalanche White Frontier SE Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4
#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Banned
Shift_Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to t2stone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave View Post
1. good steps mount the same way the OEM nissan ones do so they all have a rust issue though with mud flaps I didn't have a lot of snow build up on my Westins

2. a step bar will NOT be sacrificial if you hit a log or rock they will mangle bend and damage the body as there is very little strength to the metal with that type of hit.
1. Aluminum does not rust

2. I will let you know if that ever happens but to me it looks like they're
Gonna be around a while

Thanks,
#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Shift_Obsessed

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What about something like this?

2006 SE CC 4x4 A/T: NISMO CAI, JBA Exhaust, Unichip PNP, Fabtech 6" Lift w/PRG UCA, Radflo 2.0, Bilstien 5125 & custom Alcan Springs, ProComp 7089 w/BFG AT T/A (295/75R16), ShrockWorks Skids & Bumpers, Warn M8000, Hella 500s, M226 (3.69) swap w/ARB Air Locker & Compressor, CW Billet Grilles...

“A government for the people must depend for its success on the intelligence, the morality, the justice, and the interest of the people themselves”. - Grover Cleveland

Bigdog's Build Thread
#8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

I put a set of Steelcraft black powder coat bars on mine a couple months ago. Mounts to the existing points that the OEM would. Not bad for a budget set. ~$165 shipped from realtruck.com.

Easy to install. Took about an hour because the brackets were not marked which was which. Had to do the shuffle game til they fit correctly. I can stand on them and I'm 220 lbs. I wouldn't jump up and down, but would use to put something on the roof. That would be an issue with the factory mounting points on the body.

I'll try to post pics later today.

06 SE CC 4x4, red brawn, JVC XR-810, Kenwood KSW-1 sub, Infinity 9612i/6012i, Pioneer GM6300F amp, whatever tint matches the rear windows, OE bug deflector, OE fog lights, Thule roof rack mod, Steelcraft black powder nerf bars, ADF 2.5/1.5, AEM Brute Force CAI

10 Pathfinder SE, navy blue, Journey package, stock
#9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Shift_lurker

I have the SteelCraft 3" powder coated for my crew cab, I do believe they have them for the KC also. Easy to install. Got mine at autoanything. You can see photos of them in my gallery on this site.

cruisn31
#10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisn31 View Post
I have the SteelCraft 3" powder coated for my crew cab, I do believe they have them for the KC also. Easy to install. Got mine at autoanything. You can see photos of them in my gallery on this site.
Same set I installed. Thanks for the pics.

One thing I thought about to prevent rusting is take the plugs off the ends and shoot a little expanding foam or RTV and recap. Also, remove the bolts from the bars, add a little RTV to the hole, and reinstall. Same steps as installing the Thule roof tracks.

06 SE CC 4x4, red brawn, JVC XR-810, Kenwood KSW-1 sub, Infinity 9612i/6012i, Pioneer GM6300F amp, whatever tint matches the rear windows, OE bug deflector, OE fog lights, Thule roof rack mod, Steelcraft black powder nerf bars, ADF 2.5/1.5, AEM Brute Force CAI

10 Pathfinder SE, navy blue, Journey package, stock

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.