Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Replace Chrome & Chrome Bumpers

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  montanbam 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I recently traded my 2007 Xterra in for my 2008 Frontier Nismo. I had the strawberry milkshake but traded it in at Nissan for $10K and they didn't catch it! Ha Ha Ha!

Anyway, it has a Chrome bumpers and the previous owner added chrome on the lower section of the Frontier (see pic). I want to remove it but I'm afraid what it will do to the paint or will it??? I'm also looking for a grey/black bumpers for the 08 Nismo but can only find Chrome. Any help here...

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hello,

Anyway, it has a Chrome bumpers and the previous owner added chrome on the lower section of the Frontier (see pic). I want to remove it but I'm afraid what it will do to the paint or will it??? I'm also looking for a grey/black bumpers for the 08 Nismo but can only find Chrome. Any help here...

Thanks!
Yeah, that body trim needs to go… I'm not sure what adhesive they use for that but if it similar to the 3M used for the badges, a little heat and gentle lifting may get it off. If you damage the paint, a dark colored bedliner strip along the bottom might look good.

I think any 2nd gen rear bumper should bolt on, but I've read the chrome fronts mount differently than the plastic ones (the chrome is a separate piece from the lower plastic part - on the plastic ones that is all one piece).

#3 ·
Ug, that trim is hideous. I don't know who over decided that stick on 100 cheap chrome bits was a good look.

But yea, some heat will be your friend. Just go nice and easy / slow. Since it's a dark color, I'd park the truck in the sun and let it get warm and then grab your hair dryer and warm it up a little more. get one corner started and then start gently prying.

#4 ·
Hello,

I recently traded my 2007 Xterra in for my 2008 Frontier Nismo. I had the strawberry milkshake but traded it in at Nissan for $10K and they didn't catch it! Ha Ha Ha!
Hope the person who buys it next notices before they sign the papers.

Thanks!
If the adhesive is the same as the stuff they use to stick on the badging heating it up as previously suggested is a good start. I used some high test monofiliment fishing line to pull behind the badges and they came right off. Then I picked the foam adhesive off and after they are off I used this 3M adhesive remover and a microfiber cloth to remove the last bits of the sticky stuff. Most auto parts stores should carry it.

#5 ·
Great, I will give it a shot. It has really been bugging me lately. I was worried that after I pulled it off having the chrome on the bumpers would look weird.

Eylods; you're kinda of making me feel guilty now. I noticed the trans issue because it would have a weird slip occasionally. After reading all the issues dealing with Nissan I immediately sold it. I went to Nissan and Carmax just to see what they would say. Once Nissan gave me a deal for turning it in, extended warranty etc. I went for it. I would only hope they wouldn't go so low to pass the buck...damn...

Let you all know how it goes. I will keep looking at the bumper swap but I haven't had much luck at this point finding something.

Thanks for all the feedback.

#6 ·
Eylods; you're kinda of making me feel guilty now.
Not my intention at all. Sorry if it came across that way. I've purchased my share of 'someone else's problems' too. It's all tuition.
I'd bet that the dealer never even notices. They'll wash it and put it on the lot.

Good luck on the bling removal.

#7 ·
If that trim has been on there for years (never know with a used one), I'd be highly concerned about ghosting if you go & remove it. If it was my truck, I'd leave it. If you dont like it that much you can always cover it: vinyl, dark blue or grey paint, even that plastidip stuff. Fact is the bling is protecting the chip prone areas anyway.

Your chrome bumpers can be painted easily and will cost less than finding good used ones.

Wouldn't worry about the trade. Many here are secretly smiling that you stuck it to the man. Nissan can have a taste of what many of their former customers got.

#8 ·
Thank Suzokie,

I'm worried about it too. Once I remove it then what?! AAARGH! I'm not going to do it until I find all the after market pieces I want so we will see. I'm in Vegas so it's plenty warm still!

Was really bummed about my Xterra because I did buy it new and was religious about maintenance and overall TLC for what I put it though living in Reno/Lake Tahoe. I had an out and took it. 8) Still I hope no one else ends up with it. I should post some pictures that I took when I was taking it all apart and dropping all the fluids.

#9 ·
It should be 3M foam tape. Take some fishing line an run it behind the trim. Then take some Goo Gone and remove the residual material. It's much safer and quicker than using heat. If there is ghosting I'd just have it covered up with Line-X. Either way, ghosting would be an improvement over the Vatozone chrome.

#10 · (Edited)
Hard earned victory!

OK, this literally took days to get 4 panels off! The fender chrome was just screws so no problem. I used a heat gun (mildly) and periodically had to spray 3M remover, let it sit and pull more back. Whoever put this on decided the whole chrome plating had to have the 3M over the entire panel! I should have taken a pic of the panels after... I did about a panel a day.

Anyway, it came out better than expected. Used an "entire" eraser wheel to remove all the gunk! There was that much! I pretty much followed this tutorial as a guideline and looked at a ton of videos online before I attempted anything. Used the orange pad etc..
Polishing How To with Meguiar?s M105 / M205 | Ask a Pro Blog

I tried the fishing line method to start but see the image that didn't come out so well at the start. I ended up buying a trim removal kit after I pulled back about a 1/4 of the first door panel. I used a thin microfiber towel on the tool as well. The remainder of the blemishes were either preexisting or where it pulled some of the paint but it's very hard to see unless you are up close.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Trim-and-molding-removal-set/_/N-26il?itemIdentifier=900801_0_0_

I have some touch up paint on order BW9 Majestic Blue to cover the remaining scratches and an area that is pretty well chipped to keep it from rusting. This was a lot of work my friends and I had a few victory beers after for sure...

Check out the pictures.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Vehicle door Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

#13 ·
Quick update.

I just wanted to add: Wash your car before hand. If your going to do this yourself, using some low compressed air to blow out behind the panel periodically to remove existing dirt might be recommended. I think that's how I got the scratches at the start and not from the string itself. I used a very low test string and it just snapped over and over. It was useless in this case.

Last, I think this is an extreme case? It was a big aftermarket panel and like I said had A LOT of gunk applied prior to install.

If you attempt this, take your time, go slow, research and be prepared. You can't rush this type of scenario.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.