Nissan Frontier Forum banner

OEM Front Tow Hooks

42K views 103 replies 38 participants last post by  yesterdaysradios 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I think it CAN work, but it doesn't really "fit". You'll have to cut a part of the valance out for it to poke though, and it will be a couple inches too far to one side.

Also, I have some pics of a hook on the rear of my truck, but I can't get to photobucket at work, so I'll have to post it tonight if no one else gets one up before then.

#5 ·
You can install an extra one on the front but you have to cut a hole in your lower plastic piece "valence" and then you also have to trim your front skid plate a little. It is thin metal so basic tin snips work. You just have to keep trimming till it fits. It only took me an hour or so to finish it. Most of the time was spent on trimming and fitting thou.

You can also place them in the rear if you do not have a reciever hitch. The only issue is that if you offroad, it doesn't help your ground clearance when you are dragging your rear end over a hump. I think I have read the you can actually get them stuck on roots and stuff that will hang you up.

#21 ·
You can also place them in the rear if you do not have a reciever hitch. The only issue is that if you offroad, it doesn't help your ground clearance when you are dragging your rear end over a hump. I think I have read the you can actually get them stuck on roots and stuff that will hang you up.
but since they sit higher than your tail pipe and bumper the hook is not the only thing getting hung up.

#6 ·
WELL I GUESS I SHOULD SELL MINE THEN FOR LESS, OFFERS?????

#7 ·
does nissan make 2 different tow hooks? One for each side? I've attempted to install the hook on the other side and it ends up going on backwards so if you actually put a rope to it to pull yourself out of something you'd loose your front bumper

#8 ·
I do not think that Nissan made one for each side for the Frontier. I know there was a post from someone who took one and cut it up and then welded it back so that he had a left and a right. He then had it chrome plated. IDK how well it would hold up when using it as a recovery point since it it pretty thick steel and idk if the weld would completely penetrate it.

I only put an extra on my truck to make it look symetrical. If they did come out with one for each side, I would probably buy the correct one to make it look and function.

#29 ·
Hi all,
I own a Navara (right hand drive version) and it has the tow hook on the left from factory. I recently ordered the right hand tow hook from the nismoshop (thanks to Justin for his assistance). The tow hook arrived today and bolted straight on (no cutting required). The original tow hook is a mirror image of the one I ordered, so it appears that Nissan do make 2 different hooks, one for RHD and one for LHD Frontier/Navara. Not sure how much the dealers here would charge for the replacement LH tow hook, but if anyone is interested I can find out and let you know

#10 ·
I put one on the left side because I thought it looked strange with only one on the right side. It looks fine and is not noticeably offset. You do have to cut the hole out in the plastic valence and trim part of the skid plate off. It wasn't that hard though, you can cut the plastic valence with a box cutter and the skid plate is not very thick.

#14 ·
I put two hooks on the front, I have also removed the front valance from my navara. On the rear I fitted one hook to the left side as the tailpipe gets in the way on the right. I got six extra hooks from a dealer for free as they take them off when fitting bull bars.

Regards
Peter

#20 ·
I have the tow hook in the rear.

On 3rd time using it (I was high center really bad) The frame where it is bolted bent alittle inward.

#26 ·
anybody have any closer pics of the install in the rear??
where exactly would you bolt it on?? pics would be great.
thanks everybody!!!

#25 ·
yeah, i'm more of an urban guy so i don't foresee too much off roading. maybe a dirt road or beach now and then. so i don't think i'll have a problem w/ the placement. anybody w/ pics or detailed explaination of where it goes? i've read elsewhere that you put it where the tow hitch would go but i don't know where that is. i've look underneath and have seen some threaded holes in the side of the frame, but still not sure. a little help please. thanks!!!

#27 ·
might want to run a flat plate through all three bolts to stiffen the frame. I snatched Mustard out after the jeepers winched on him for a hour and a half. Bent my frame so bad I had to unbolt the hook to get the strap off. All so snatched Hustonics out a few times that day. Of course I might be a little hard on my truck:laugh:

#32 ·
I spoke to my local Nissan dealer today to get a price for the replacement tow hook for my Navara, and while they can supply me with the part, the price tag is very high. I have emailed Justin the part number so hopefully he will be able to get the tow hook for a better price.

Here is a pic that I took of the two tow hooks fitted

Attachments

#36 ·
This is awesome news.

Okay, I am a little slow and I can't remember which side we have originally and which side we need to order, can someone clarify this for me. I assume we need to order the Passenger side since it is more expensive, is this right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.