Nissan Frontier Forum banner

my rear bumper build thread.

11K views 44 replies 31 participants last post by  Nomad 13 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I would post this up here; my full build thread is over on expedition portal... Here is a copy and paste from that thread.

---
I have started working on the bumper. Here are the pics so far. Progress may be slow, but it should be interesting to see it come together.

not a very good before picture, but I forgot to snap one earlier

a lot of low-hanging junk

cleared out

4X6 3/16" steel

more mockup

working on the brackets 3x3", 1/4" steel angle

needs a little tweaking

brackets done

Finally got some time to work on this some more. I have the hardware coming in tomorrow for the tire carrier from mcmaster. I will be welding in ports for use as an air tank (calculated roughly 5.1 gal). I will be doing a slight notch of the bed as well, and wrap around protection. It should really start falling together in the next few days.

tacked in position

I notched the brackets for more surface area, and to pull the bumper in and up a bit.

grinding the curve into the end caps

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

the only fab work I have outsourced so far: I had the local metal shop punch out the holes for the receiver. In hindsight, I would have been better off with a small cutoff wheel and drilling the corners...

I ditched the end cap that was there, and decided to give this setup a shot for the tire carrier. The bushings are just for mock up; the real piece is still on the way.

Got the hitch on today:

NPT port for the air chuck. The weld was giving me some grief, so I welded up the backside to ensure no leaks. I should have cleaned it better before welding.

New endcap tacked up.

Ground the shackle mounts to fit flush without having to grind that weld.

Where it will sit.

Bearings mocked up.

I will post some pictures up from the work yesterday. I got the ports welded in for onboard air in the future. I also have both ends capped off and welded. I plan on finish welding the last shackle mount after class today. Then it is onto the tire carrier and bedside protection... A lot of work, but it will be worth it in the end.

Eric

#7 ·
You got some welding skills.....good work

#22 ·
Tallahassee

beefy242: the license plate is going to go on the tire carrier, along with the highlift mount

Andy4106: yep, the three ports in the back are for a pressure switch, overpressure valve, and feed from the compressor. It will be awhile before I install the compressor, I just wanted to make it easy when the time comes. The tank will hold just under 5.1 gallons. Should help out when airing up tires or running the impact wrench.

I messed with the side protection today, but don't have anything to show for it. Mostly just planning how it will work out. I wont have another work day until Thursday... I'll post updates then. Thanks for all of the kind words!

#11 ·
Nice work Squall.

#13 ·
Here is the work from yesterday. I am on to the wraparounds today... Steve: I choose to put them there for strength. I don't trust the surface weld shackle mounts... The stock shackles for the leafs hang lower, and these are only 1" wide by ~2.5" down. I would take strength for something I use a lot over slight clearance advantage, eventhough I rarely run into dragging.

Ports

at work

#16 ·
Looks f'n sweet! where's the license plate gonna go?

#21 ·
lol...guess you're a "picture" reader huh? ;)

#23 ·
your design looks great so far, can't wait to see the end result.

#26 ·
bigdog: I am not sure on the antenna. I need to put it somewhere when I get a tent...

I finally got some work done on Sunday and today. The bed is cut, and sliders tacked in place. I need to finish-weld em, and add another brace to the frame on the back end.

cut

masked and painted

More to come after Thursday (hopefully!). The bushing for the swing-away finally came today...

Eric

#27 ·
Nice work man!

Porsche 944?!?!

#29 ·
Not too much in the way of progress, but I have finally closed the chapter on the bumper itself, and am working on the tire carrier. I am hoping to have a big weekend and finish it all up. I have exams in a week, and it would be good to have the truck ready for a December/ new years trip...

bushing for swing-away and threaded insert for the gas strut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.