Mud Flaps - Nissan Frontier Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mud Flaps

They suck. So what have you done with yours? My three main gripes are:

-Do not cover enough-The front tires throw gravel which hits the rear wheel fender flares. There is a factory install 3M clear flim, but it is not big enough. Spending days in the dirt at a time my wheel wheel flares are pretty pitted. Even the spots that have the protective film. If your going to have mud flaps they should do a complet job of protecting the body from spray.

-They are stiff. Though I like the look, the stiff flaps are hard to wheel with. Coming off of rocks you tend to smash the mud flaps. I have cracked all my flaps and busted half the mounting point. The stiff flaps also rub adginst the body of the truck when they get smashed. More worn off paint. But becuase of point #1 I keep them on.

-They take up wheel well space. Many report of removing or triming them to fit bigger tires. Not there yet, but imagine I will have to do something when/if I get bigger tires.

So has anyone changed out theirs for soft ones?

Pictures?

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Nissan4Life; 10-30-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I'm thinking of getting a length of heavy gauge rubber and cutting some myself. I plan to continue to do the type of wheeling that requires me to take the plastics off, but I wan't something on there for DD. Taking the OEM flaps on and off all the time doesn't sound like a good plan to me, and leaves it wide open for gravel to fly into the body when out on the trails. The plain rubber flap won't look as stylish as the OEM flaps, but I'd rather have better protection and something I can leave on all the time.

2012 Pro-4x CC
Mods: Bilstein 5100/OME coils, Shackles/Bilstein 5125, Hefty Sliders, BFG 255/85r16 KM2's, Tinted windows, LEDs (interior, cargo, backup), Amsoil Ea filter
Pipe Dream: Custom bumpers, Calmini/Titan swap with full length coilovers, Alcan rear springs
#3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
I'm thinking of getting a length of heavy gauge rubber and cutting some myself. I plan to continue to do the type of wheeling that requires me to take the plastics off, but I wan't something on there for DD. Taking the OEM flaps on and off all the time doesn't sound like a good plan to me, and leaves it wide open for gravel to fly into the body when out on the trails. The plain rubber flap won't look as stylish as the OEM flaps, but I'd rather have better protection and something I can leave on all the time.
I think someone on here recently installed rubber mud flaps on their frontier. Seemed to be quite effective. Just make sure you don't back up over a rock and rip them off.

here's the thread:Splash guards, not rock guards apparently

2011 Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4
#4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Shift_Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbumx2 View Post
I think someone on here recently installed rubber mud flaps on their frontier. Seemed to be quite effective. Just make sure you don't back up over a rock and rip them off.

here's the thread:Splash guards, not rock guards apparently
I thought about ordering those, but I was somewhat worried about using a poly material that hung so low. I was thinking rubber would be better and found that they sell the same flap in rubber on that website. They are the same width and shape, just 2" shorter and made of rubber so you don't have to worry about hitting them on stuff on the trail.

1/4" Regular-Duty Rubber Mudflaps - 10" W x 18" H - Teardrop Style - Pair*-*Buyers*B1018LSP

2012 Pro-4x CC
Mods: Bilstein 5100/OME coils, Shackles/Bilstein 5125, Hefty Sliders, BFG 255/85r16 KM2's, Tinted windows, LEDs (interior, cargo, backup), Amsoil Ea filter
Pipe Dream: Custom bumpers, Calmini/Titan swap with full length coilovers, Alcan rear springs
The Following User Says Thank You to 05Fronty4x For This Useful Post:
jjw1 (10-31-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the info guys! I'll be swapping mine soon. I don't have any chips so hopefully I caught it before it started.

2010 P4X CC: 2.5in/2in Lift (ADF&PRG), SPC UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Xoskel Bumper Mouth Bracket w/ 4 Rigid Industries Duallys, Superchips Tuned 93 Performance w/WOT Removed & 2* timing advance, Kool Vue CAI, Rear Axle Vent Mod, Bakflip G2, Radiator bypass, LED conversion.
In Progress: WRP Pulley (in hand), IMS, exhaust, coilovers?, LED courtesy lights, OEM roof rack? super on the down-low LED light bar project(s), Cargo light delete, LED reverse floods
Axle Vent Mod & Radiator Bypass
South Jersey
#6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,041 Times in 769 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis
i would just rhino line the bottom half of the truck, theres a specific name for the space...but its like, a skirting that goes around the truck and up over the flares. looks good. protects the truck too. dont have to worry about rock chips, or, obstructive mud flaps.

i realize this isnt the cheapest route to go. but, imo, is the BEST way to go

Last edited by Mhannis; 10-31-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
#7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhannis View Post
i would just rhino line the bottom half of the truck, theres a specific name for the space...but its like, a skirting that goes around the truck and up over the flares. looks good. protects the truck too. dont have to worry about rock chips, or, obstructive mud flaps.

i realize this isnt the cheapest route to go. but, imo, is the BEST way to go
Are you thinking of the rocker panel?

2010 P4X CC: 2.5in/2in Lift (ADF&PRG), SPC UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Xoskel Bumper Mouth Bracket w/ 4 Rigid Industries Duallys, Superchips Tuned 93 Performance w/WOT Removed & 2* timing advance, Kool Vue CAI, Rear Axle Vent Mod, Bakflip G2, Radiator bypass, LED conversion.
In Progress: WRP Pulley (in hand), IMS, exhaust, coilovers?, LED courtesy lights, OEM roof rack? super on the down-low LED light bar project(s), Cargo light delete, LED reverse floods
Axle Vent Mod & Radiator Bypass
South Jersey
#8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Shift_Enthusiast

Location: Fort Riley, Kansas (But hail from the great state of Louisiana!!)
I just took mine off...O well...I would like to rhino line a strip down the bottoms, and over the fender flares.

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon manner, you command the attention of the world"

2008 NISMO Crew Cab
Leveling Spacer, Plasti-Dipped Rims, Blacked out tint all around, Flowmaster 40, AFE Intake & Throttle Body Spacer 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer STT's
#9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Shift_Obsessed

Thanked 1,041 Times in 769 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Mhannis
YES! im ****in braindead today for some reason...
#10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Shift_Hardcore

I think I am going to find a set with Yosemite Sam on them.

06 KC NISMO 4x4, 2" prg spacer front, Firestone riderite airbags rear, Schrockwrxs front engine skid, Custom sliders, Hidden hitch reciever, Deck plate Airbox mod/amsoil filter, Momo shift knob removed, back to 06+ nismo knob, 05 pathy flat black wheels, 265/75/r16 Tread Wright Sentinel with Kedge Grip, wireless door lock keypad, cargo light bypass, auto dimming rear view mirror with compass and temp.
http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Nissan4Life For This Useful Post:
treducks (10-12-2013)

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.