Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Front tow hooks

36K views 69 replies 37 participants last post by  Skinny06 
#1 ·
I guess i'm a firm believer if I want something. And nobody already makes one. I just make it myself. I know this topic has been gone over before. How there is only a right side hook availible on our trucks. But as some of you have looked there is molded into the plastic the shape of the hole for the left hook. As well as the threaded bolt holes in the frame. So what I did is purchase another right hook and did a little modification to it. Cut it into three pieces and flipped it around welded it back together. After alot of grinding to it and the exiting hook to clean up the casting lines. Had them both chromed ($35 ea. hook) Went to my local have every bolt concieved store and got the correct hardened bolts. Cut the plastic out and bolted these babys in place. Looks killer. But before someone posts the pictures are worth a million words. I must say I have no clue as to how to post pics. So if there is anybody i can e-mail them to that know how to it would be appriciated. And also before I get bashed about the strength of the hook that was cut up. I would never use it in a pulling situation. Although after we welded it we put it in a large hydrolic press a put about 6.5 tons of presser on it. The base of the press bent more than the hook. On to my next custom mod.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Took me a while but the pics are added. The hook on the right is the new one the stalk is a little thicker because of an added piece of metal. But when mounted on the truck you can't see it. Thanks for pic posting help.

#5 ·
grampy,

That looks outstanding. You did a really nice job of rewelding the left side hook.
What would you charge me to cut and weld a left hook? I can get the hooks plated locally so that would not be a problem.

OkieScot

#6 ·
I Would have to talk to my buddie that helped me do this, plus you would need to supply a stock hook. I bought mine on line and payed about $40 for it. And it figures I saw one on E-pay a week ago for like $10. Probably spent 4 hrs. or so with the whole process. Cutting, welding and grinding. So i'm not sure how many such requests I might be able to fill.

#8 ·
After you cut and welded on the hook, did you have it re hardened?
If not, just get stuck some time and hook a chain on it and take cover :oops: :oops:
If you did not have it hardened, it is for looks only.

#9 ·
grampy,

Let me know what he says about the cost. If I can afford it I'll start looking for the hook.
And remember I asked first so if you are limited put me at the head of the list.

The second hook would be for looks only. We have the original one to tow with. it
will just give a balanced look.

Thank you for persevering in this endeavor.

OkieScot

#11 ·
grampy-

I am in the process of doing this mod. I thought i could get away with only 1 cut on the hook, but i realize the end (the tip of the hook that is to curve in) will be curving out if i only make the 1 cut to invert it, can you share your 3 cuts of the driver side hook please?

Great Mod-
Thanks!

#12 ·
Yes this takes 3 cuts, the first one is the hook must be removed from the mounting base. Move hook to oppisite side of base. We ground it a bit and added a little bit of scrap to fill. Second cut is through the hook parallel to the flat part that the bolts go through. Flip it around. And last cut the tip and turn it around the other way. The whole process took me about 3 to 4 hours as I also ground all the flashing from the original casting to make the hook look smooth. Smoothed out the other hook as well. Be sure who ever dose the welding that there machine can get a good penatrating weld on that thick of material. Keep the right hand hook close by and use it for reference, because what you are doing is making a mirror image of this.
Good Luck.

#13 ·
I'm surprised noone makes chrome hooks, or at least the mirror of the right one so that we can have 2 on our trucks

#16 ·
Would be to costly, plus my buddie that did most of the work is on his way to a new job on the other side of the country. With the amount of time and tools I don't think anybody would be willing to pay $150 plus hook to make it worth the effort. Also the liability if someone tried to use it to pull the truck with. Although we put a lot of pressure on it I still wouldn't trust it. Now if someone has the capibiltiy to make a mold and cast it that might be a different story. Seeing as the piece that I made could be duplicated. Just a thought.

#18 · (Edited)
grampy said:
Would be to costly, plus my buddie that did most of the work is on his way to a new job on the other side of the country. With the amount of time and tools I don't think anybody would be willing to pay $150 plus hook to make it worth the effort. Also the liability if someone tried to use it to pull the truck with. Although we put a lot of pressure on it I still wouldn't trust it. Now if someone has the capibiltiy to make a mold and cast it that might be a different story. Seeing as the piece that I made could be duplicated. Just a thought.
I wouldn't trust anything cast for an application like that but I think it'd be pretty cheap to machine something like that out of a solid billet. Forged would be the best but... no one is going to cough up the dough for something like that.

#20 · (Edited)
What format do you want? My version of SW doesn't have anything but drawing formats. I have to use Catia at work to give you G&M.

I made that out of one solid billet but I can create one left and one right side hook.

#22 ·
There's no welding in my drawing. If you're referring to the original thread topic, there shouldn't be that big of a change in the strength of the material if the welder was any good.

#23 ·
JamesP said:
What format do you want? My version of SW doesn't have anything but drawing formats. I have to use Catia at work to give you G&M.

I made that out of one solid billet but I can create one left and one right side hook.
The machine we have (the one I know how to use at least) is an Analam 1400M, not sure what exactly you mean by "what format", I know all machines use slightly different codes, but I am pretty new to this...I only know what my prof. tells me.

The only thing I noticed is that for ease of machining on a vertical milling machine the part would have to be rotated.....The sides closest to eachother would have to be down to eliminate the undercutting. Then the part could be rotated to drill the holes, or they could just be done seperately.

#24 ·
Well SW only saves in certain formats and I don't have a CAM program at home.

You can make the hooks on a vertical mill, not sure what you mean by rotating. I put the fillets in for looks only, a small break in the corners would do. An edge finder is all you need.

#25 ·
Lf Tow Hook

O.K. i did one at work today and have the part #s.I installed a LF tow hook to a 07 Frontier,which is the same as the others.Its the same hook as the rt side,Hook # 51112-EA000 Bolts x2 is # 081B7-2452A You need to pull the lower front plastic panel that the hooks hang thru and cut out the other hole.Pull the front metal splash shield then mount the hook,then set the shield back up it will be off to the pass side because it will be hitting the hook due to the offset.Hold the shield up in place and use a marker to mark the side of the shield so you can cut a section out of the side of the shield for clearance.Once the shield is modified and fits around the hook,debur your cuts and paint them.Now your ready to install the lower plastic front panel,then your done!

#26 ·
Frontier2 said:
O.K. i did one at work today and have the part #s.I installed a LF tow hook to a 07 Frontier,which is the same as the others.Its the same hook as the rt side,Hook # 51112-EA000 Bolts x2 is # 081B7-2452A You need to pull the lower front plastic panel that the hooks hang thru and cut out the other hole.Pull the front metal splash shield then mount the hook,then set the shield back up it will be off to the pass side because it will be hitting the hook due to the offset.Hold the shield up in place and use a marker to mark the side of the shield so you can cut a section out of the side of the shield for clearance.Once the shield is modified and fits around the hook,debur your cuts and paint them.Now your ready to install the lower plastic front panel,then your done!

Thanks for the scoop. You da man F2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.