Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Daytime Running Lights

32K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Wintermute 
#1 ·
Greetings,

I want to add daytime (LED) running lights and I am looking at the Philips product. Amazon.com: Philips 12824WLEDX1 DayLight 8 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running Light: Automotive

I wanted to get some dimensions and try to figure out if I want to use the 4 light or the 8 light kit, so I went to the Philips website and SHAZAAM! The not only had the dimensions, they had a cut-out paper model at actual size.

Heck, it's a slow day, why not do the cut outs and see how they look.

So, now I can't decide. I like the price of the 4 light but love the look of the 8 light...OK, so I'm leaning to the 8 light now.

Mostly the point of this post is just to give Philips an "atta-boy" for the extra effort on supplying the model pattern. Also, you can upload an image of your vehicle and have an idea of how they will look.

So....4 or 8???? Hmmm:?:
Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I went with the four light Philips in the same exact spot you are trying there. I cut my lower billet to seat around the lights and they fit perfectly shining light past my bull bar.

#3 ·
Personally, I think the 4-lights look better. Maybe it's the angle but the 8-light looks crooked and out of place. Although the 4-light doesn't look factory, it seems to fit the natural lines better. The 8-light doesn't IMO.

#4 ·
OK, I decided to go with the 8 light model and I decided to hang them from the top of the opening rather than mount them on the bottom. Also, the 8 light model came with the relay that will dim the lights when you activate the headlights or parking lights.
It was a fairly simple installation....Mmmm, maybe a 3 beer deal (it was hot yesterday).

Here is the result.
Running lights on.

Headlights on (DRL's dimmed)

Everything off;

Sorry about the horrible back-light in these shots. I'll get better ones after the sun goes around the other side later today. But, hopefully, ya'll can see it fairly well for now.

So far, I like them.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info and link. I was thinking of doing this after seeing another truck with them but he had them tied into the turn signals.

Now I will have to decide between the 4 and 8.

#6 ·
:noworries:

Just FYI: The 4 light model has a relay that is simply an "on or off" function. The 8 light has a dimming function. Don't know why Philips wouldn't offer an "either or", regardless of 8 or 4 light.
Good luck on your project.
:itsfriday: Time for a cold one!

#7 ·
Easy Install

Installed two of the four light units this past weekend, one in my 2009 Frontier and the second on my wife's vehicle. I was not interested in the "dim" option.

Easy install. Look great. The four light unit is plenty bright.

I definitely would spend a few extra minutes ensuring the brackets face straight ahead and are level with the road.:)

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#13 ·
How hard are they to install? Any soldering? Also wondering how they turn on and off on US spec Frontier's that do not have DRL module? Thank you
The hardest part (for me) was mounting the lights as I inset them into the lower bumper. Wiring was super easy. One connection to the battery, one connection to ground, and one to a parking light wire to dim the DRL when the headlights come on. No soldering, just wire connections.That's it. Controller works fine with a US spec Frontier w/o DRLs.

You could add a switch to the light sensing wire and have control over dimming when the lights are on. It would be nice to have full bright (off road) and dim (on road) capabilities.

Attachments

#12 ·
I installed the Daylight 8 (with dimming controller) on my '15 Pro-4x and inset them into the bumper recess. The dimming controller actually works really well! No problem working on a US model truck. I had my doubts about a non-switched controller but really like the bright / dim function. Only downside is the engine must be running for them to light (senses alternator output to turn on lights).

Mounting orientation shouldn't make any difference.

Good quality DRL set, highly recommended.

Attachments

#20 ·
wow, old thread, but one of our club members has a 2017 frontier, I thought he had his lights on the whole time, apparently its Day time running lights.

Comes stock on pro-4x now?

thought it was an add on. My 2017 SV doesn't have them

looks like a dimmed headlight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.