LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question ARB Front bumper?

I PM'd a few member that I could find who had the ARB Front bumper to see how well it was holding up, years after installation. They haven't been on in awhile, so I don't know if i'll ever get an answer. So, does anyone else have it that I missed? Any complaints/comments/thoughts? Can't decide between this one or the Shrock. I personally like it because I think the Shrock leaves the tires wayy too much exposed for my liking. Also, I am getting the Fabtech with coilovers soon (8" up front) so it will look a hell of a lot better. Does anyone think it looks goofy by how bulky it is? Thanks!

Also, check out this sweet Pahthy with an ARB from 4x4 parts! This is what my Frontier will look like if I go Fabtech wth ARB.

2006 Nissan Frontier 4x4 CC [Build]

Radflo 2.0 Standard Travel coilovers, Radflo 2.0 Emulsion rear shocks, Alcan 1" Leaf Springs, ShrockWorks Front bumper, ShrockWorks rear bumper, ShrockWorks Skids, H1 5000K Retrofitted Projectors, PIAA Fog lights, Banks Monster Exhaust system, 20x8.5 MB Motoring Gunner 6 AM wheels, Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60-20 tires, StopTech Power Slot cryo treated Rotors, Hawk LTS brake pads, Boyo front view, rear view, undercarriage cameras, 20% tint.

2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i

Completely stock...for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Shift_Obsessed
Premium Member

Thanked 1,046 Times in 753 Posts
Garage
arb has a solid reputation for making great, well built products. you really can't go wrong.

i don't quite understand what you're talking about when you mention "leaving the tires too exposed." high clearance is good, it allows for a better approach angle.

“I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.”

pain of discipline.
pain of regret.
take your pick.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Shift_Fanatic

I don't see much difference in the front profile. But I don't know why you would want he bumper to hang down any lower. The more tire you can see, the better.

I might be mistaken, but I remember reading that the ARB is designed to crumple to some extent in a front-end collision, and that's why they don't have shackle mounts.

Edited to add: It looks like only certain ARB bumpers for certain vehicles are designed to crumple. Either way, it seems ARB prefers that people use factory tow hooks or the winch for recoveries.

2006 Nismo CC 4WD
PRG UCA's / Radflo 2.0's / Deaver AAL's / Bilstein 5125's
Shrockworks Bumpers
Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10 LT265/75/R16

Last edited by Brook724; 01-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
arb has a solid reputation for making great, well built products. you really can't go wrong.

i don't quite understand what you're talking about when you mention "leaving the tires too exposed." high clearance is good, it allows for a better approach angle.
Sorry, I didn't make that clear enough. Approach angle, IMO, is necessary for someone doing serious off-roading (rocks, steep trails, etc.). I usually stick to looong grasslands and kinda like the 'wildlife', if that makes any sense. Mostly grass and dirt, so I wanted something that looks great/performs great. I needed a bit more clearance than the stock bumper, but I don't like how much the Shrock has, since I drive on grass/dirt roads a lot.

Also, that's why I considered ARB in the first place. They really do their homework when making products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook724 View Post
I don't see much difference in the front profile. But I don't know why you would want he bumper to hang down any lower. The more tire you can see, the better.

I might be mistaken, but I remember reading that the ARB is designed to crumple to some extent in a front-end collision, and that's why they don't have shackle mounts.

Edited to add: It looks like only certain ARB bumpers for certain vehicles are designed to crumple. Either way, it seems ARB prefers that people use factory tow hooks or the winch for recoveries.
Well, I put a terrible picture of how bulky it is. It is noticeably more bulkier than the Shrock. And, yea, they don't offer shackle mounts. This is one of reasons I considered the Shrock. Here's a better pic of the 'bulkiness':

Radflo 2.0 Standard Travel coilovers, Radflo 2.0 Emulsion rear shocks, Alcan 1" Leaf Springs, ShrockWorks Front bumper, ShrockWorks rear bumper, ShrockWorks Skids, H1 5000K Retrofitted Projectors, PIAA Fog lights, Banks Monster Exhaust system, 20x8.5 MB Motoring Gunner 6 AM wheels, Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60-20 tires, StopTech Power Slot cryo treated Rotors, Hawk LTS brake pads, Boyo front view, rear view, undercarriage cameras, 20% tint.

2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i

Last edited by FrontierNation3; 01-23-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^FN, that's an X isn't it? They do stick out a bit in the front. Does it have to do w/ their winch location? You could always go w/ TAG. That'll cover your tires up nicely!!

08 Black SE CC 4x4 6sp
Bedlined grille, billet inserts, Fogs, smoked tail & 3rd lights, Stubby, ARE cap, Clarion CX501, Cobra 75 and Wilson 4', Rogue Key, IMS, Volant, Install Magnaflow 15580
Suspension Radflo 2.0, Bill 5125 & OME Med Duty leaf pack
Tires/Wheels BFG AT/KO 265/75/16 on Pro Comp 7089s
Protection NxRocks-rad/engine/trans, Shrocks-T-case, Hefty-GT, BTF-diff cover (Mag-Hytec gasket), Demello Offroad DIY sliders, KMA front bumper (modified), TAG rear bumper
Future
POR15/bedline bumper
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

^I actually have no clue. The winch is located in the same position/area as where the Shrock bumper has it. Maybe I could customize it to make it closer to the fender? But, yea that is an X. I believe they are basically the same as the Frontier, just different shapes.

And, I am seriously considering the KMA/TAG bumper man! As I already told you, that bumper is sick, and I want it. Its just that NOBODY is running the ARB with a drop bracket lift, and I think it will look awesome. Love the ARB, except for how far it sticks out. Soo confused between ARB, Shrock and TAG!!

2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Shift_Fanatic

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierNation3 View Post
^I actually have no clue. The winch is located in the same position/area as where the Shrock bumper has it. Maybe I could customize it to make it closer to the fender? But, yea that is an X. I believe they are basically the same as the Frontier, just different shapes.

And, I am seriously considering the KMA/TAG bumper man! As I already told you, that bumper is sick, and I want it. Its just that NOBODY is running the ARB with a drop bracket lift, and I think it will look awesome. Love the ARB, except for how far it sticks out. Soo confused between ARB, Shrock and TAG!!
I was saving for a Hefty bumper, and still love their lines. I believe Chris will work w/ you in customizing a bumper. After reading some of his posts (TNX) it sounds like they actually enjoy that more than cranking out skids/sliders/bumpers. Motorcop has the only one I've seen on a Frontier.
http://www.heftyfabworks.com/

08 Black SE CC 4x4 6sp
Bedlined grille, billet inserts, Fogs, smoked tail & 3rd lights, Stubby, ARE cap, Clarion CX501, Cobra 75 and Wilson 4', Rogue Key, IMS, Volant, Install Magnaflow 15580
Suspension Radflo 2.0, Bill 5125 & OME Med Duty leaf pack
Tires/Wheels BFG AT/KO 265/75/16 on Pro Comp 7089s
Protection NxRocks-rad/engine/trans, Shrocks-T-case, Hefty-GT, BTF-diff cover (Mag-Hytec gasket), Demello Offroad DIY sliders, KMA front bumper (modified), TAG rear bumper
Future
POR15/bedline bumper
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

2010 frontier bumper

2010 Pro-4X,Kelly Safari TSR's, ARB Front Bumper, Shrockworks Rad Skid, HeftyFabworks Sliders, weathertech all around, Thule Xsporter 422xt Rack with a CVT Mt.Baker Hard Shell Roof Top Tent, awning with mesh and enclosed walls. Lots of pelican cases for my camping set up.
Suspension will be done the right way first time.

My Slow Build Thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike r For This Useful Post:
amckee2 (11-25-2012)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Shift_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyers77 View Post
I was saving for a Hefty bumper, and still love their lines. I believe Chris will work w/ you in customizing a bumper. After reading some of his posts (TNX) it sounds like they actually enjoy that more than cranking out skids/sliders/bumpers. Motorcop has the only one I've seen on a Frontier.
HeftyFabWorks - Custom bumpers, rock sliders and more for your truck or vehicle
Wow, never even heard of them before. I just checked out their site and it said they started out building custom bumpers. I am definitly gonna give them a call tomorrow and see if they can build me an ARB replica but keep the bulk wayy down. Or maybe ARB can do this for me? Gotta make a lot of calls tomorrow... Thanks for the link!

2013 BMW X1 xDrive35i

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Shift_Enthusiast

This is theyre Sahara bar on a Navara. Not too bulky. Loads of guys here run them but IMO Shrock looks way better. ARB is completely airbag compliant as it has "crush cans" built in the mounting points.

Sahara bar | Products | ARB 4x4 Accessories

"Keep the shiny side up"
07 Navara STX CC 6SPD, PRG Advanced Pkg, Remote resi rears n adjustable shackles, Volant CAI, XTP IMS, Custom Borla 316ss 2.5" CB, 265/75/16 MTZs, Incubus Offroad alloys, Shrockworks bumper.

Nissan Frontier Forum > Mods and Technical Discussions > Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Frontier Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.