Nissan Frontier Forum banner

4x2 on beach?

16K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  Madrafter 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I just joined the forum and have found it incredibly useful. I had a question about driving on the beach. I am planning a trip to the outer banks in Sept and they allow you to drive on the beach in certain areas but recommend 4WD. My Frontier is 4x2...how would it handle on the sand? Anyone have any experience with a 2WD Frontier on the beach? I would plan on airing down my tires before going out there...

Thanks!

#2 ·
outerbanks hmmm where are you from. not sure dont want to drive my truck on the beach(salt) but know alot of people that go out there to duck hunt and do pretty good

#5 ·
Notes for driving on sand... avoid loose sand, have recovery points, remember the principles of sand.

As mentioned, loose sand will swallow you, and not in a good way.
Be sure of where to hook to your truck in the event you get mired that is a strong pull point as well as some recover equipment. Shovels, pull straps, planks as mentioned, good jack, lighting if stranded in the dark.
Principles of sand refers to the nature of sand, dry powdery sand will not support as much weight or offer much traction. In many cases, you can saturate the sand and it will allow you to simply drive out if you use your head and dont fight it. Horsepower and sand are not friends. keep your cool, let the truck do what its going to do.

#7 ·
coast to a stop in loose sand, if you use your brakes to stop you will make holes you may not be able to get out of. Park facing down hill. Your floor mats are your friend.

#8 ·
i would forget it with a 2wd. i regularly drive on carolina beach and i always have to lock mine in and the outer banks are much worse i would go get a rental car thats a 4x4 if your hell bent on driving on the beach

#9 ·
You'd be taking a big chance. Go with someone who has a 4X4 and a snap line, until you know if its something you can accomplish on your own. Air down to 10-12 psi and stay light on the gas and brake pedal. I drive on Fire Island, which is all loose sand and easy to get stuck. I've made it 10 miles round trip in 2WD, so it's not impossible just not easy to stay unstuck. I don't care cause I can always hit the 4X4 switch. You don't have that luxury so be careful and find the hard packed or wet sand and experiment to find out what your truck likes.

Remember, better safe than sorry.

#12 ·
Just be aware of where your driving your truck. When you park. I suggest parking backwards so that you have momentum when u start to let off. If you see that you have sunken in the soft sand a bit just flatten it out a tad. Then pull your e-brake up 2 clicks & lightly feather the throttle dont gun it.

#13 ·
If it's loose sand at all, make sure someone else is w/ you to pull you out. I see people w/ 4X4 on long island beaches that get stuck.

#14 ·
ABSOLUTELY, those are the idiots that don't want to take the time to air down and think big motors and spinning the tires will get you out, that only makes ruts and holes. The key to soft sand is flotation, which happens best at 10 - 12 psi. You want to roll over the sand, not plow through it.

You'll figure it out, Good luck.

#18 ·
at the obx especially you really will get stuck right at the entrance that is the worse part so make sure you air down before you get on the sand......the good news is that frontiers are light enough to dig out a lot of the time make sure there isnt anybody too close in front of you and just get a lot of momentum and go you would be suprised how many idiots there are that go really slow with no momentum and get themselves and others stuck what part of the obx are you going to

#19 ·
not sure how bad it is were you are, but here around Port Aransas its not bad at all... keep speed and you should be fine. I go pretty far in 2wd even with my MTs but then again i can flip into 4 and not worry about it eather... Main thing is dont go alone.

#20 ·
i just went out on the beach again last night, and was reminded how vital 4wd is. I personally would never take a non-4x4 on the beach. but thats just me. The sand here is also rather soft, as i almost got stuck with 15psi in my tires, 4wd, going really light on the gas.

#21 ·
Where is that, it's the same here on Long Island.

#23 ·
Very nice.....most places are nicer in the summer.

#24 ·
only beach you are gonna run in 2wd at the outer banks is hwy 12 just north of carolla. the beach runs up to carova and then to the VA line.

you got a ~10 mile run up the beach before the turn around. go at low tide and go with a 4x4 and a tow point and tow strap....or have some cash on hand.

i went up there with another 2wd years ago and ran the full distance, but both got stuck turning around. we dug out by hand and i got a little push from a couple of guys walking on the beach. after that...we ran the whole way back without issue. they got the wild mustangs that roam up there also. pretty cool if you get to see them.

don't speed on the beaches and stay off the dunes.

#25 ·
Driving on the dunes here is good way to go straight to county lock up. The dunes are federally protected, and they take it very seriously.

#26 ·
Go at low tide, air down, and make sure you get back before high tide or schedule to get back at the next low tide. 2wd is at your own risk on a loose sand beach. It's even a risk in 4x4. You might get down there and have the tide change and you can't get back without 4x4. Getting stuck really sucks and if you get stuck close to the water you will have the tide come in and wash into your truck. I drive down on the Padre Island National Seashore in south Texas and that's about as nasty as it gets. That beach eats up full size 4x4's if you are stupid about it. The last few times I've gone I had to ride in 4wheel Low and just go 15-20mph the whole ride down. 4H wasn't strong enough to get through the really deep sand.

#27 ·
I drive in the sand at Assateague island in Maryland ALL the time. I have 4wd and often see how long I can make it before before turning it on. There are some spots that are really soft even if your aired down. Try to stay in the ruts and bring a tow strap.

#29 ·
what beach is that?

#34 · (Edited)
That's actually Pensacola, Fl back in April of 2005 (was on my honeymoon so I know the date lol) and the truck was brand new just got it in Dec of 04. I remember they had just went through a hurricane the last season passed.

Well look at those tires, I think my toilet paper has more grab then those things:p
You're right!

#30 · (Edited)
You guys are sissys! :) I do it all the time, nothing to it... Go for it, just don't do anything stupid like spin the tires, and if you start going down don't dig yourself a hole. If you arent making progress then get some help. Maybe the beaches are different, but down in FL it isn't anything, even with the soft sand....

#32 ·
beaches in nc are pretty rough to drive on last time i went i passed two jeeps and a trailblazer that were all stuck up to their bumpers i always see trucks that are buried ive bottomed out my frontier a few times but had the momentum to not get stuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.