Nissan Frontier Forum banner

'04 Xterra Front end conversion (Photo intensive)

59K views 66 replies 26 participants last post by  Smithautomotive 
#1 · (Edited)
I have began doing my Front end conversion to that of an 03/04 Xterra.

Hope you enjoy!

I ordered my lights a few nights ago and installed my fiberglass fenders last night... took a total of about 4 hours including a dinner break in between and another to do battle in wii tennis. I'm still searching for my grill and a used hood.
The 03-04 Xterra fiberglass fenders are direct replacement on 1st gen frontiers and will use stock headlamps on 98-2000 frontiers. If your wondering what the difference is between the two fenders, the body line that runs along the body under the windows takes a curve down that follows the fender instead of ending behind the head lamps.

Here is the story::crib:

Washed and removed bumper cover

Sprayed the inside of the glass with undercoat and let it dry while I worked.

The hood was open until I was ready to align the hood and fender lines.

Had to pop off the plastic hood cover to access this bolt:

Removed the 9 screws and the fender came off with a little finesse.

The red trim piece did not want to fit with the edge of the fender to I removed it and the grill.

And followed that by cleaning and applying two generous coats of duplicolor undercoat to everything exposed.

Also, literally tore off my airbox resonator. I drove it today and it made a huge difference in acceleration. You may say im exaggeration but I was trying to figure out where my new power came from today until i picked up my cousin and he reminded me we removed the resonator.

Before and after pics of a cut I made in order to properly align the top rear corners of the new fenders:

I figure fiberglass can't be expected to be a precision part so all I did was sight down the holes and drilled where I felt comfortable... this was the result:

In the darker photos you can the the curved body line I was talking about better.

In these two photos you can see a gap that measures 1/4" outwards and down. I fixed this via 5 bucks worth of shim washers that I picked up this afternoon( I did this yesterday).

Also installed my new taillights while I had the tool box out.

Had to trim away at the bulb socket a little to make it fit right

And my new plate:

For those of you that don't speak Spanish or don't have an imagination... it says FRiJoLeRO... ******!

-Danny

BTW, nothing along the doors or anything rubs and the fenders are on there solid enough to grab them and rock the truck with.

-Danny

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks RB.
Cant wait to see it myself. Still hoping to score used or junkyard grill, headlamps and hood because Ill still have to repaint everything. The cheaper I do this the more Ill have left over for my suspension. Im in no rush since everything fits the way it s now.

-Danny

#5 ·
Have always loved the Gen I Xterra fenders on a Gen I Frontier since Andy (Desert Rat on may board, but this one) did it. Makes the truck look meaner. Good job!

#8 ·
Titans and tundras?...I'm not sure what you mean but I don't think so.
I got my fenders from Hanneman, I called them them the 22nd in the afternoon and they were ready the 24th in the morning. I drove my mom's camry to save some gas. Anyway, I spent $375 with tax at Hanneman and less than three days. It would've been over $500 at with AC and probably over a week with shipping. BTW, Hal Hanneman is a pretty cool guy and DAMN my fenders were ready fast.

-Danny

#10 ·
By looking at the address on the "frontier for parts" ad, its a salvage yard in south San Diego, near the border where all the salvage yards are.

-Danny

#12 ·
That is exactly what I decided to call my truck. I also find it a little ironic since my plates say ****** and the truck is called "border" in spanish.
Yes San Diego. Actually, I go to UCSD so I'm in La Jolla practically everyday.
Ive seen a sweet looking maroon 4x4 xterra aroung UCSD as well. Bumpers, skids, winches, lightbars, the whole nine yards.
-Danny

#14 ·
Haha, thats awesome. Yeah I usually go by Dan and when its not Dan its Danny.
What college are you in? I'm in Marshall, second year mechanical engineer.

Just called the dude from the ad. I'm heading down to Otay soon to get some parts off of those Xs. Unfortunately, I wont be able to get a hood or grill because they were both in front end wrecks :( But maybe I can have the X dash board I have been considering.

-Danny

#17 ·
Update

Penski, The guys that had the two Xs did have a titan. However, they parted the rear axle out.
Im sure you an find one though if you asked around. I had to go to 6 different salvage yards to find what I got today. I asked a few people and from what I got a titan diff will run you right around 400 bucks from end to end.

Pictures from today:
Last one with this front end

still looking for my hood

-Danny

#18 ·
ok i was about to say whers the xterra front headlights and grille lol. deff will make people look twice to see if you cut into an xterra or turned your frontier into an xterra lol. BTW if i were you i'd paint the front end the color of your truck but thats me.

#19 ·
Thats the plan. And that is exactly what I had in mind. Ill be repainting the truck end to end in the same Aztec Red maybe in the summer once I take care of a few other things on the list. But I definitely want everything to blend in including the headlight bezels. I'm ordering some duplicolor AG2 rattle cans to do just the grill and bezels and Ill leave the fenders and hood primered till I'm ready to do the whole truck.

-Danny

#27 ·
Thanks... no, would you like to give it a home along with matching flares?

Woo - new parts :) It's like Christmas all over again huh? lol
Especially when they are wrapped!!!

dude nice project!!! put arb bumper it'll be lot cooler!
Thanks thanks. There is an unused tubing bender and notcher sitting in my garage itching to make a bumper. It definitely has to be a "prerunner" bumper though, not looking to do a plate style like ARB on my truck but they are definitely cool.

-Danny

#26 ·
dude nice project!!! put arb bumper it'll be lot cooler!

#30 ·
Need shots from more angles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.