Nissan Frontier Forum banner

taking the nismo off road

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mike 
#1 ·
I was just looking at some of the pics of these trucks offroad, and i see the suspension twisted in every which way possible. I just wanted to know how reliable the stock nismo model would be if I were to be taking off road. And how good are these bilstein shocks? Thanks

#2 ·
The nismo does really well even in it's stock forum.
It you plan on jumping your truck the shocks well not hold up. Other wise they well be fine.

#4 ·
I have used/driven just about every truck available over the last 25 years at work. This is my first Nissan. For me, the truck is not a toy, it's a tool. I have no desire to do major modifications just to make a tool work for me. I realize that I am in the minority on this forum. That's ok by me.

After 6k miles, a winter and some normal (for me) work related trail driving, I can say the following about the NISMO: it has the greatest amount of clearance for the least amount of cab step-in height. The 4.0 has plenty of power. Tows my trailered Mule without effort. Has excellent on the fly 4x4, smooth and seamless. Was outstanding in the deep snow. Has great 4WD climbing, mud driving and creek crossing abilities. Literally, it works for me.

The only downside I've found is the junk 4 ply stock BFG's. They gotta go.

#5 ·
I have a bone stock 2008 Nismo that I have done some offroading with. Here are some observations:

- The stock "skid plates" do not offer much protection, as they are thin sheet metal. If you think that there is a possibility of contacting, you might want to consider aftermarket plates.
- The front tow hook hangs down, I have "snagged" mine several times on rocks
- If you have a factory hitch, the 7 pin connector is vulnerable, as it is bolted to the bottom of the hitch. I broke the connector off on the first ride ($70 to replace).

Other than that, the truck does fine offroad.

#6 · (Edited)
Heheheh, Its a little low....not that I would ever take my lease vehicle offroad....

I have hit....

no longer have a front valence. (air dam)
Gone through 3 7-pin adapters
Bend my tow receiver
Bent my front tow hook
All four mud flaps are broken/bent/shot
Collapsed my muffler
Need a new rear bumper (all bent to ****)
Hit rear bumper into body
Missing paint on passenger side rear fender
AZ pin stripes to the extreme
No paint on frame
No paint on rock sliders
Many bolt heads ground off
Front Sway bar mounts ground off
Lost an alternator
Nearly lost the new alternator (a week later)
My exhaust tip is bent to ****
All 4 wheels have major scratches
All 4 tires have sidewall punctures/scrapes (showing white)
CD player no longer functions due to dust ingestion

I have replaced (due to necessity) my
Front Radiator skid
My engine skid
my gas tank skid
In all cases, containers held more fluids after I replaced skids....

And she just keeps on trucki'n

You'll be fine.

#8 ·
wow nice list inyourface. You wheel harder than most. Yeah for trail duties you will be fine in stock form. Mine has been stock for 6months been out every weekend and it has been towed home twice. Burnt a clutch out (dont think you will have this problem with the v6, i have a turbo diesel and it is gutless up until 2k rpm when the turbo kicks in so u have to slip the clutch like you wouldnt believe to get it moving in very soft sand) and the other time i smashed a radiator, this was because i didnt have enough clearance for the ruts in the hill i was caining it up. But other than that it has been excellent off road. A 2inch lift would cost you buttons for extra piece of mind off road.

#9 ·
The NISMO is pretty impressive stock, the only weakness I can think of are the Rugged Trail tires. I've been out after a long rain on some local trails and it was like I was skating on ice. Definitely getting some AT KOs or Terragrapplers soon.

#10 ·
Ditch the tires for some good MT's or AT's
Relocate the plug for the hitch
Get rid of the mud flaps and front valence

In my area the stock skids have done fine so far(not a lot of rocks) but they will be replaced eventually. Rock sliders will be put on as well as a Shrock bumper and winch but again these are for added insurance for areas I intend to tackle later. Just use your head, a stock NISMO can go some impressive places stock.

#11 · (Edited)
oh yea, I go places and people ask A. What is that vehicle. B. how I got there....
The stock skids really arent bad. I mean, they hold up really well considering what they are. I have replaced most of mine, but as Navara009 said I beat mine pretty hard.
I really think my rock sliders have been the most useful of all though. They give me alot of confidence. I am completely stock (armour wise) other then the rock sliders, and man do they take a beating.

#12 ·
I agree with Inyourface1650. Sliders before skids and tires.

I surprise myself that I was able to do this with stock skids and tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.