Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Snapped Radflo 2.5

5K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  5speed_Frontier 
#1 ·
Well guys I have been having super bad luck lately. Finally got my leaking m226 fixed again and reinstalled in my truck again. Found out the small little sensor switch is what was keeping it in the locked position by hanging up on the locker somehow.

So I had the newly built axle in for about a half day. Took a dip right by my house at moderate speed. Ive gone way faster through the same dips before. Heard an odd clunking and found this on my 2.5 radflo. Pretty messed up for a little over 2 year old off road shock. Luckily radflo is close to me and I can go there on monday. Hopefully it doesnt cost a lot.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yah Ive been in good contact with Greg lately since my school is so close to his shop. Just talked to him, if I was at school close to him he said he would just fix them for me, but Im in so cal right now so Im just going to go to radflo on monday. They will take care of me for sure. It definitely looks like this was from previous abuse and the piston was just unthreading over time.

#6 ·
Jumping = breaking stuff

#7 ·
Yah I've jumped my truck like a 100 times. Just funny that it broke on a little dip right by my house. It's been waiting to go for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
Damn, that does suck. I'm sure Radflo will help you out; great people over there.

#10 ·
Took them to radflo this morning. They are going to fix them and rebuild them both and hopefully have them back to me tomorrow. We'll see how much it ends up costing.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
You know you had a good time when something breaks lol. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the bank when they finish rebuilding it.

#15 ·
It may be time to invest in limit straps.

#24 ·
Limit straps only prevent the truck from drooping beyond the suspensions limits.

Maybe some hydro bumps too.. But the limits are cheap enough I would define toy get them sooner rather than later :D
Yes, definitely needs hydro bumps...I would absolutely not recommend jumping a 2 ton truck without them.

I suppose it depends on where there is more travel to help determine whether he needs limit straps or hydro bumps. If he has more travel than allowed by downward movement (extension) of the wheel then limit straps are in order. If the opposite is true (compression) then hydro bumps are i order. Hydro bumps would also help to provide less stress to the shock during compression.

Then again I could be talking out of my tailgate so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
pretty darn close! The issue is the shock is bottoming out before the suspension, so ultimately the coilover gets slammed metal to metal. The shock should have AT LEAST 1/2 of stroke left of compression when the suspension is fully bumped.

You need to cycle the suspension and either limit up-travel with some bump stops... even rubber ones will help, or move your your upper shock mounts up to compensate. There is no getting around this; if you continue to jump and leave your suspension set up improperly you will continue to blow out shocks, possibly steering, or even worse...

#20 ·
He's not driving a tank. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

#22 ·
I suppose it depends on where there is more travel to help determine whether he needs limit straps or hydro bumps. If he has more travel than allowed by downward movement (extension) of the wheel then limit straps are in order. If the opposite is true (compression) then hydro bumps are i order. Hydro bumps would also help to provide less stress to the shock during compression.

Then again I could be talking out of my tailgate so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#25 ·
Some good info from all you guys and some tough love from some it seems. The simple fact is that Im already aware of all of these things. I honestly rather be breaking something though than having one of these trucks I see everyday with all the fancy offroad shocks and not a speck of dirt on them. I am definitely very hard on my truck at sometimes and go beyond its limits. Still though, 90% of the time I am driving it on the street. I have jumped it a lot, but most of the jumps except for a few are nice small jumps with some distance and no more than a foot of air. It's a lot of fun in my truck and she soaks it up pretty good for the little suspension I have.

Am I claiming I have a baja truck or a pro 2 or something, NO. My truck definitely needs better rear suspension and bumps all around. But honestly I dont think this should have happened to 2.5s on my truck after a little abuse. But it's all part of modifying a truck and daily driving it.

As for Radflo.... Im getting a little upset. I have to drive back to nor cal this weekend and really need my truck back. Ive been talking to the radflo "shop pet" it seems. He keeps giving me the run around and still not an estimated price or time of completion. He's promised to call me back at certain times, 4 times now. Never does, then I call him and talk to him politely only for him to give me no more information and promise to call me back again. I know they are busy, but I'd love some info. He told me he would call me back this morning. Still hasn't, but we'll see.

#28 · (Edited)
Here is my 2 cents. This same thing happened to my coilovers. Apparently when the adjustment collar is spun to lower the ride height/lessen the preload, the shaft may back out of the upper mount. There should be enough loctite on the shaft to keep it from backing out, but in my case it appears there was no loctite on the threads to begin with. So my advice: if you adjust the collar, check the shaft at the upper mount to make sure the threads have not backed out.

When this happened to me, the shaft popped out of the upper mount on a small jump (enough for full droop) at 40 mph on a paved road. Before the jump, the shaft was probably completely backed out of the mount because I heard a faint sound come from the shock, and I felt a brief wiggle come from the steering like the shock caused the truck to wander. I should have been more aware of checking the shaft instead of assuming it could never happen. Too bad the shaft does not use a cotter pin to help keep things together.

#29 ·
Well you guys I finally got them back. Yah Im pretty sure that one shocked backed out a little when I adjusted them a long time ago. I only adjusted them maybe a quarter inch or so though. So they fixed that top aluminum piece for free with a brand new piece. Then they charged me for all new bearings on the bottom cause those were shot. And they rebuilt them both completely, so they are basically brand new. A lot stiffer feeling now and much better on the freeway, but still smooth as butter on dips.

I was shocked at the price though when I picked them up. Cost just over $250, but they did rebuild them completely and they needed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.